What makes a car American made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Example my 2010 mountaineer was built in Kentucky and is considered American made ? yet the engine is from Germany 4.0 and I believe the trans 5r55s is from France. Would a more proper term be assembled in the US. I believe from the first model T to the 1960's car were really American made. I think Toyotas today are more American made then Ford-Chevy-Dodge. Not knocking any brand or any country but the 5r55s trans is not that great. Would prefer a C6 with overdrive. Why do American companies have other country make/build engines/transmissions. Is it more cost effective. Your opinion.

Parts content sourced at more than 50% from here and final assembly here.

Originally Posted By: sloinker
Thats a good dividing line.

For example, from the window sticker on a 2011 Subaru Outback:

You could even ask: Where are the robots made & engineered that go into the American factory?
It gets complicated real quick. I guess its best not to think about it.
I do wonder how all the tariffs work. I mean, if all the parts are foreign, then its small consolation to get final assembly in the U.S., right?!

What about an American car vs a foreign car? My definition is the corporate headquarters has to be in the USA. GM, Ford, Tesla, not sure about FCA (address given for FCA is London UK?). Those years of DaimlerChrysler that was actually a take-over and/or outright ownership of Chrysler by Daimler mean (to me) that all those Dodge trucks and Jeeps are as foreign as any Toyota. FCA looks to be the same.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

oil_film_movies. This is interesting. Do all manufacturers list this. Never seen this before. My mountaineer did not show this.

When labels like that one give a percentage, I always wondered--is that a % of overall dollars, or weight, or some randomly arrived at # of parts? Or would that depend on how a given company chooses to define it?

In 2009 my wife and I both bought new cars. She got a Kia Sorento and I got a Chevy Suburban. In 2009, the Kia Sorento was the most American made vehicle. I called BS on that though because the money went overseas.

Originally Posted By: littleant
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
oil_film_movies. This is interesting. Do all manufacturers list this. Never seen this before. My mountaineer did not show this.
It's required by law to stick it somewhere on the window of a new vehicle.
I think they are sometimes on the Monroney (aka, "window sticker" nickname) itself, with all the crash test and MPG, and of course options, etc., and sometimes its on a separate piece of paper.

I'm not sure exactly how they calculate the percentage. Its our standard way of looking at it.
It gets complicated if you think about where the materials are sourced from too. Makes it easy to just glance at that sticker though!!!

Last edited:
I personally avoid made in USA items that are mass produced. I will, and do, pay way too much for things made in the garage by a couple of hicks that are passionate about what they do. Everywhere I have worked, and the quality from manufacturing, to transport, to healthcare, seeing how people do what they do leaves a lot to be desired. Combine with the trend of disposing everything, from socks to cars, I want nothing to do with "Made in USA". Just an observation.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
In 2009 my wife and I both bought new cars. She got a Kia Sorento and I got a Chevy Suburban. In 2009, the Kia Sorento was the most American made vehicle. I called BS on that though because the money went overseas.

Take a tour through your Chevy dealership's parts dept and you'll see how many parts are made overseas. LOTS of foreign countries' wallets got fat when those parts got made for Chevy in those foreign countries.

We live in a global world,period.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Take a tour through your Chevy dealership's parts dept and you'll see how many parts are made overseas. LOTS of foreign countries' wallets got fat when those parts got made for Chevy in those foreign countries.

We live in a global world,period.

Yep.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
“American Car” is an old man term. Get used to it and try follow the parts content information if you are concerned.

I would consider domestic trucks and muscle cars the NA market "American Cars". Japan is known for trucks, too but they are more like global trucks. Two genres of vehicles made specifically for North American sensibilities.

I consider Apple a VERY American company despite all the products being made in China. Such incredible high quality jobs Apple has in USA for an extremely well made USA designed product.

I think America Cars is the ownership, engineering and manufacturing. Honda/Acura is quite American as it not only manufactures here heavily but designs in USA. Not sure of other companies. People considered the first gen Chevy Cruze, Ford Fiesta and recent Focus as American. Yes made here but imported European designs but assembled and owned here.

Seems more complex then where parts and finally assembly of vehicle is.

I have owned nothing but US made vehicles (82 VW GTI, 1995 Honda Civic, 2005 Subaru Legacy, and 2007 Acura MDX).

Every company has to be global to diversify their interests and not be subject to whatever political or financial turmoil is occurring in any given country. We're just one in a long line of places they source talent from.

Kia is an example, they have a bunch of factories and design centers all over the world (including our country). While Kia was spinning their 1.2 billion factory up in West Point, Georgia in 2006, GM and Ford were shutting down their factories in Atlanta in the same timespan cutting a projected 5200 jobs total. The Kia factory was projected to create 5500 jobs from the factory alone, plus 2600 from local suppliers to accommodate inventory at the factory. I'm glad for any foreign investment into this country, just like the people of any other country would be. American workers have good jobs because of these companies.

Do you know where the money went or what portion? The American workers aren't slaves. Either they got paid before the money went overseas or it went overseas then was disbursed back here. Either way American workers got paid and Kia paid their taxes.

The glass headlights for 2nd generation J-cars (Thru 94) were made in Germany.Thats how long it been.Numerous relays were German Bosch too.My 88 K car has Japanese heater control,Japanese Denso made starter,German Bosch alternator,NTK oxygen sensor (Mopar supplier)..... I guess you cant fight it.Its been far longer than any of us have realized its been going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back