Fram extra guard @15k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram CA4309 extra guard after 15k miles
Family’s Older nissan murano
Got a Fram Tough Guard TGA4309 for $7
So thats what went in after this came out.

Mostly city and country road driving

Highly likely that filter was totally still servicable. 15k miles? That's WAY too early to change an air filter.
Most of the dirt (silica) that will ever pass through an air filter does so in the first 10% of it's lifecycle.
Changing air filters often is a great way to waste money AND cause more wear in the engine.

Despite all the heresy, I typically go 50k miles on my car air filters as a minimum.

Unless you live in an EXTREMELY dusty area (dirt roads for 90% or more of driving; or mining ops), you don't need to FCI the air filter but once every 3-4 years depending upon mileage.

Air filter minders are a great tool; far more accurate than any 15k mile guesstimate.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Highly likely that filter was totally still servicable. 15k miles? That's WAY too early to change an air filter.
Most of the dirt (silica) that will ever pass through an air filter does so in the first 10% of it's lifecycle.
Changing air filters often is a great way to waste money AND cause more wear in the engine.

Despite all the heresy, I typically go 50k miles on my car air filters as a minimum.

Unless you live in an EXTREMELY dusty area (dirt roads for 90% or more of driving; or mining ops), you don't need to FCI the air filter but once every 3-4 years depending upon mileage.

Air filter minders are a great tool; far more accurate than any 15k mile guesstimate.

How do you know changing the air filter too often causes damage? Stop spreading bs please.

And 50k filter change is not recommended by any car manufacturer.

My Toyotas say inspect the air filter every 15,000 miles. The one on my wife's Venza was filthy after 15,000 miles. I just replaced it with a NAPA Gold yesterday.

There are many SAE papers that verify dry type air filters become more efficient with use as long as the seals are air tight. As examples see #952557, Total Filtration by Marty Barris of Donaldson Co. and #2001-01-0370, Discriminating Tests for Automotive Engine Air Filters by Ptak, Richburg and Vasseur of Purolator. Unfortunately the Heavy Duty Filter Manufacturers are the only ones that publish factual information on the life- time efficiency of engine air filters. The best quote I have found comes from a paper presented in 2001 "Nanofibers in Filtration Applications in Transportation" by employees of Donaldson Company as follows:

"For most engine air filters, the function of the filter and the corresponding engine wear are based largely on the dust cake filtration. The formation of a dust cake on the filter media changes many important factors in the function of a filter media, including filtration efficiency and pore size distribution. Engine wear rate has been shown to be significant during the early portion of an air filter's design life.

Consumers must also make maintenance decisions about the air filters in their cars. This user group is relatively unsophisticated in their knowledge of filter maintenance and function. Air filters are perhaps the most easily serviced but least understood parts on a vehicle. Other common replacement parts on a vehicle such as tires, wiper blades, oil and oil filters work best when new. However this is not the case with conventional air filters. Since most air filters rely on the formation of a dust cake to improve the performance of a filter media, over-servicing can lead to dire consequences from inadequate engine protection."

What say you now nate95023 ? The more you tinker and play with the airbox the more chance of letting dirt particles in. Like the infomercial says, Set it and forget it. The OEM/dealer just wants to sell you an air or cabin filter every 15k or so. Like everyone else, they're in business to make money.Filters in general are a lot more efficient as they get filled up. Of course there is a limit.As Mr.Newton's mantra says, ROI.

The engineer that wrote this has very sound reasoning. The Donaldson/Amsoil air filter in my Toyota Tacoma has been in service for 105,000 miles. All highway driving in a non-dusty environment. UOA Silicon numbers are always low single-digit at 8000 mile change intervals.

Dave

BMW says "reduce replacement intervals in dusty operating conditions" regarding air filters.

If it's dusty they actually recommend changing it less often.

I agree about not changing air filters too often. In the case of the OP's filter, he could have easily cleaned that filter by first tapping the filter to get the big junk off and then sweeping out the pleats with a paint brush to get the rest of the debris out. Then re-install the filter and have a much more efficient filter at the end of the day.

Cabin air filters are a very different system and I do replace those every 15K or so.

Cummins also had a paper regarding the mere checking of an air filter increasing the amount of contaminants going into an engine.

Right now, I'm going on 51k miles on the air filter in my auto Ram, and still indicating nothing on the restriction gauge. Gauge was just popped off and tested for accuracy less than a month ago. This from a truck that is routinely driven through rooster tails that are so opaque that the truck producing them ahead of me cannot be seen.

That is certainly consistent with what I've experienced. I had the water pump done on my NSX a few years ago. They had the air filter apart. The next oil change showed a dramatic increase in Silicon. On my Toyota with the 105k filter I have never had the lid off. I can look in at the upstream side of the filter to see how it looks.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back