Back in the spin on game...questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a long time with vw cartridge filters I am back with a Honda and a spin on. 2018 accord sport 2.0t. On previous Honda cars I used an ultra and think I will do the same on this one. Oci will be 5k or so. Think the ultra would be good for two OCIs? Oil will be mobil1 or pp 0w20, maybe stepping up to a 30.

M1 0-20 has performed very well for me for the last 450K in my last three Ford Duratech engines at 10K OCIs.

Use 0/5w30

The Fram PH7317 is the OEM Honda A02. So even the orange can is officially good for 2 OCI's. If that is sufficient for 2 OCI's, then the Ultra should definitely be.

Your Accord has the MM to suggest the right OCI based on your driving conditions. My plan would be any synthetic 5w30 with the MM-suggested OCI and a PH7317 changed every time.

In fact, Honda says not to do the first oil change early and to leave the FF in until the MM says it's time to change.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The Fram PH7317 is the OEM Honda A02. ...

That is not correct. The A02 has more pleats and also a metal seam clamp that the PH and TG do not have.

PH7317S5.jpg

Fram PH7317 - Virgin - Silicone ADBV

TG7317N5.jpg

Fram TG7317 - Virgin - 2018 Model

A02V6.jpg

Honda 15400-PLM-A02 (Fram) - Virgin

A02V11.jpg

I'd follow the maintenance minder for the OCI personally. Fram Tough Guard is a better option for the shorter intervals if you wanna save a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The Fram PH7317 is the OEM Honda A02. ...

That is not correct. The A02 has more pleats and also a metal seam clamp that the PH and TG do not have.

PH7317S5.jpg

Fram PH7317 - Virgin - Silicone ADBV

TG7317N5.jpg

Fram TG7317 - Virgin - 2018 Model

A02V6.jpg

Honda 15400-PLM-A02 (Fram) - Virgin

A02V11.jpg

Nice to see three Frams with end cap center tubes not hidden. The left shows a glue bead around the center tube, the second shows element and center tube gap. The one with the gap from the description is for Honda. No thanks to this kind of sloppy end cap construction. I found glue pieces inside my Tough Guard. I know the Fram volunteers don't like to hear about it. But it is a fact, not an opinion.
Honda also specifies a special media according to experts here. Why? Just wondering.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... the second shows element and center tube gap.

That gap between the end of the center tube and the end cap doesn't matter ... it wouldn't matter if the center tube was 1/4 inch too short.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
After a long time with vw cartridge filters I am back with a Honda and a spin on. 2018 accord sport 2.0t. On previous Honda cars I used an ultra and think I will do the same on this one. Oci will be 5k or so. Think the ultra would be good for two OCIs? Oil will be mobil1 or pp 0w20, maybe stepping up to a 30.

Will try and answer all the questions here in one post.
1. We say right on the box that the Ultra can go up to 20k between changes when use with a high quality synthetic oil. Oil consumption is checked and added when needed.
2. Don't use 0w30 in your car when the manufacturer wants 0W20, that is a mistake. All of their performance/durability/emissions testing is done with 0w20 oil. They know what oil needs to be in the engine. In fact, not using oil meeting manufacturers specification can allow them to void your warranty in an engine failure case (not likely in any Honda)
3. the variable valve timing system is set to work with the stock viscosity oil
4. FRAM does not market a exact copy of the Honda filter, The TG filter is the closest match.
Think thats it, but I am always available to answer any FRAM related question

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

That gap between the end of the center tube and the end cap doesn't matter ... it wouldn't matter if the center tube was 1/4 inch too short.

That's nonsense. The center tube is a structural element and 1/4" too short is not OK, it does matter. The gap is a defect, plain and simple, and pieces of hardened glue in the oil galleries is worse than a torn pleat. It's a fact that loose glue happened. Unfortunately brand bias takes it's toll on logic and clear eyes so much on here.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: BTLew81

Will try and answer all the questions here in one post.
1. We say right on the box that the Ultra can go up to 20k between changes when use with a high quality synthetic oil. Oil consumption is checked and added when needed.
2. Don't use 0w30 in your car when the manufacturer wants 0W20, that is a mistake. All of their performance/durability/emissions testing is done with 0w20 oil. They know what oil needs to be in the engine. In fact, not using oil meeting manufacturers specification can allow them to void your warranty in an engine failure case (not likely in any Honda)
3. the variable valve timing system is set to work with the stock viscosity oil
4. FRAM does not market a exact copy of the Honda filter, The TG filter is the closest match.
Think thats it, but I am always available to answer any FRAM related question

I have some questions. What is the reason for the Honda different specs on their Fram made oil filter and what are they? There is some evidence the Honda can is a thicker gauge. What are the can gauges of the Fram consumer and racing oil filters? Where can I buy the Fram Racing oil filter for $10? You said they were available for $10.
Lastly we see many pictures of EG and TG with off center end caps, where the center tube edge is not fully covered. Is this issue being addressed now?

That's nonsense. The center tube is a structural element and 1/4" too short is not OK, it does matter. The gap is a defect, plain and simple.

Guess all those eCore center tubes with window gaps way more than 1/4" are "defective" too. That small gap (way less than 1/4") in that filter you're pointing out doesn't matter one bit to the structural integtity. What kind of failure do you think it's going to cause? What kind of engineer are you again?

That's nonsense. The center tube is a structural element and 1/4" too short is not OK, it does matter. The gap is a defect, plain and simple.

Guess all those eCore center tubes with window gaps way more than 1/4" are "defective" too. That small gap (way less than 1/4") in that filter you're pointing out doesn't matter one bit to the structural integtity. What kind of failure do you think it's going to cause? What kind of engineer are you again?

Well now the Ecore center tube is attached to the end caps top and bottom with supporting structure in between. The Fram in the picture is not attached. The picture is a fact. Again, the topic is not the person you are discussing with. The filter has a defect. Saying it could be a 1/4" gap, no matter, is exactly what I said it is.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Ultra? 2 OCI easily, and an XG will go.

Bet you could go 15k or 3 changes.

More like 3 OCI and 20K miles very easy.

The center tube doesn't need to be attached to the end caps for structural integrity - it's purpose is to prevent the media from imploding from delta-p (Engineering 101). Media doesn't implode on eCores with windows 1/2" wide. There are plenty of cartridge and even spin on filters (ie, Denso) where the center tube just slips into the center hole.

It's about design in general ... it has nothing to do with brand names. Center tubes don't need to be attached to the end caps to work correctly. Quite a few have floating center tubes. Densos have a floating center tube and no end caps ... you see them imploding?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back