Beating a dead horse - 2AZ-FE oil visocsity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm looking for a definite answer for my application. I own a 2014 Scion xB with the 2AZ-FE 2.4L engine. I currently have 55k miles on it. Toyota recommends either 0w-20 or 5w-20 oil with a 5k mile OCI. They do not specify if this OCI is on synthetic or dino oil. I've been running Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic and changing every 5k with no issues.

However, I just took a job with an 80 mile daily commute. This car now sees 80 miles of highway driving each day, where it sits between 3,500 and 4,000 rpm. Should I move up to a 5w-30? Can I extend to a longer OCI so I can do fewer changes per year? At this rate I will put 35k annually on this vehicle.

I'm looking to keep this car for the long haul...150k-200k miles. I need to make sure I'm taking care of it now. Thanks for any help!

Synthetic is so affordable now, I would just stick with that. You can use 5w30 with no issues if you so desire.

Lots of posts on this engine, and lots of long commutes.

To put them together yes 5w-30 is fine for your engine and is recommended elsewhere in the world, but the high revs probably won't hurt the 20 weight.....however Toyota do recommend a heavier weight for extended high speed operations.

For your long highway run driving style, you are an excellent candidate for extended drains. M1 EP or Amsoil you could likely go 20k (with UOA), or perhaps longer - saving money and time....with a filter that can go the distance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
4k rpm? How fast are you commuting at??

LOL One would think a 2014 Scion would have overdrive.

If you are running 100+ mph, I think 5w30 would be a prudent move.

Unless you are seeing exceedingly high oil temps, which you probably are not, you would not have to switch to a 30 grade.
5W-30 will be absolutely ok in your engine, it will probably not know the difference between the two.

PS: If the car wre mine, i'd give M1 0W-30 AFE a go.

Low NOACK with high PAO content is probably what you need.
M1 AFE or EP in the 0W-20 grade would deliver both.
Had Toyota fixed the ring coking problems that earlier models of this engine were known for by the time your car was built?
My impression is that they had done so by the 2010 MY.
With the kind of driving you're doing, I'd think that an 8K OCI would be cake and potentially longer OCIs would be feasible, although only a UOA will really allow you to determine that.
Does the OM really recommend 5K drains? I had thought that by 2014, Toyota was recommending 10K drains for pretty much everything.

Does the scion burn any oil in between OCI?

I would use a Fram utlra which you can leave on for two OCI. You can use whatever 0w-20 you want. The previous suggestions are fine for your application.

Originally Posted By: BoostedSwede
Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm looking for a definite answer for my application. I own a 2014 Scion xB with the 2AZ-FE 2.4L engine. I currently have 55k miles on it. Toyota recommends either 0w-20 or 5w-20 oil with a 5k mile OCI. They do not specify if this OCI is on synthetic or dino oil. I've been running Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic and changing every 5k with no issues.

However, I just took a job with an 80 mile daily commute. This car now sees 80 miles of highway driving each day, where it sits between 3,500 and 4,000 rpm. Should I move up to a 5w-30? Can I extend to a longer OCI so I can do fewer changes per year? At this rate I will put 35k annually on this vehicle.

I'm looking to keep this car for the long haul...150k-200k miles. I need to make sure I'm taking care of it now. Thanks for any help!

I'm running M1 5w30 EP i got. $12 rebate times 2 is nice also. My 09' Camry has 140,xxx on it and doesnt burn or leak oil. I ru. the TG 4967/4386 filter also without issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome !!!

In Australia for the 2.4L 2AZ-FE they say to run 5W30 or 10W30. So I'm sure you will be fine with either your regular M1 5W20 or stepping it up to M1 5W30.

I would use M1 EP (extended performance) as it allows 15,000 mile oil changes, use that with a good quality (synthetic media) oil filter.

BTW I was in Hartford CT a few years back.

If that's 80 miles of most highway cruising, then you are definitely eligible for extended drains. I'd even go so far as to say could easily double or triple the OEM interval. 10-15k on your fav synthetic formula would keep the engine purring along happily and save you the hassle (and money) of excessive oil changes (which are technically NOT NEEDED). It would be silly to keep running 5k OCIs with such easy operating conditions (which is what highway driving is, regardless of your sustained engine RPM.)

I used to TRY to destroy a 2006 Scion tC with the same engine and couldn't. I have a UOA doubling the 5k interval and the results showed I could go further... and this wasn't easy highway cruising and burned a quart of oil every 5,000 miles.

For peace of mind, I say you request a sample kit from a Lab of your choice and sample a 10k run (could do 7,500 miles if you're scared) so see how much FURTHER you can go. For all you know, you can use Mobil 1's Annual Protection, 20,000 mile oil with no problems. Hahaha.

Older Scion engines were known for oil consumption. Toyota even suggested 1qt / 1000 miles was OK.
smirk.gif

If your Scion uses oil and you continuously top it off the OCI can be extended as long as you use a good oil filter.

My wifes Sienna runs a standard Toyota YZZA1 oil filter for 10K miles on M1, PP, Magnetec, or QSUD 0W20. thats dragging a big ole van around.

your 4banger should be fine with a lightweight aerodynamic car.

The thing about 0w20 is there is no conventional version of it. All are synthetic so toyota can feel comfortable with a 10K mile OCI recommendation knowing that someone will not try that with conventional oil in there by mistake.

BTW Conventional oil will make it that far but it will be shirred down a bit and likely starting to sludge. the next OCI with a good synthetic will clean that out no problem.

Last edited:
To answer all the questions:

Yes, by 2014, Toyota has apparently fixed the oil burn issue associated with bad ring design.

I use no oil between changes at a 5k OCI. Literally zero.

I will change the oil at my next interval, and send in a sample to Blackstone and see where it is at.

Also, I do not baby this car. At all. It sees the redline on an almost daily basis. I run at 80-90mph on the interstate to cut my commute time. That's why I'm looking into a better oil/different weight/different OCI.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
... your 4banger should be fine with a lightweight aerodynamic car.
Huh?! That's not exactly a description of an xB.

Originally Posted By: BoostedSwede
Hey everyone,

You can run ANY properly rated oil and have your car last as long as it possibly can last. Running M1 5W-30 could give you 10,000 mile 1 year intervals and be called conservative. Make sure the air filter base and intake plumbing is well sealed.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
... your 4banger should be fine with a lightweight aerodynamic car.
Huh?! That's not exactly a description of an xB.

HAHAHAA

So true.

Alright, so from these answers, I think I will move to a 5w30, stay with a well known synthetic, and get a UOA done at 5k miles on my next change...see if I can move to 10k OCI.

On a side note...I want to change the manual transmission fluid. The OE fluid is very notchy/stiff when cold. Any recommendations there? I've gathered that I should stick with a GL4 lube, even thought the manual says I can use GL4 or GL5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back