effect of chinese ownership of volvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the effect on the cars...but the effect on me is that I wouldn't buy one...

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
anyone knowledgeable on this?

Go to a showroom. Theyres some of the nicest cars you can buy today, period.

About 6 months ago I asked that question to the salesperson (combined Hyundai/Volvo dealer). Not just ownership either, some models will be built in China. We both agreed it will appear to cheapen the product line, some people (like myself) will not purchase a vehicle made in Chine, same for tires. In short, IMO it will result in fewer sales once the general public knows that it is Chinese owned and some models actually built there. Cadillac and Buick are also building some models in China so one has to look at the country of assembly when buying new.

As a country China owns too much of America, sending profits from Volvo back to them is not something I wish to do

Originally Posted By: Spector
About 6 months ago I asked that question to the salesperson (combined Hyundai/Volvo dealer). Not just ownership either, some models will be built in China. We both agreed it will appear to cheapen the product line, some people (like myself) will not purchase a vehicle made in Chine, same for tires. In short, IMO it will result in fewer sales once the general public knows that it is Chinese owned and some models actually built there. Cadillac and Buick are also building some models in China so one has to look at the country of assembly when buying new.

As a country China owns too much of America, sending profits from Volvo back to them is not something I wish to do

I think as the US faces off against China and manufacturing returns to the US, there are going to be options in regards to COO and most people will choose to support the US over China. No one likes doing business with them.

China will always need a western name on their products to sell them. They're not going to be the next Japan or South Korea.

Bought them eight years ago.
Chinese made cars are coming. Aluminum and steel cheaper over there as is energy and labor.

Last edited:
I have a co-worker who has only bought Volvos for 20 years and my guess is that he'd probably opt for a new Chinese-owned one over a Belgian-built one he had in the mid-2000s.

Apparently, though it's model-specific, my understanding is that the new models are generally reliable ( average ) but have recurring issues similar to previous ones like axle/suspension and electrical issues. I've never owned an Asian vehicle that's had electrical issues but every German or European car I've owned eventually had gremlins...so there's almost an expectation for me. The C30 is supposed to be much more problem-free than the XC70/90 series so I'm not sure of COO plays into that or not.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I have a co-worker who has only bought Volvos for 20 years and my guess is that he'd probably opt for a new Chinese-owned one over a Belgian-built one he had in the mid-2000s.

Apparently, though it's model-specific, my understanding is that the new models are generally reliable ( average ) but have recurring issues similar to previous ones like axle/suspension and electrical issues. I've never owned an Asian vehicle that's had electrical issues but every German or European car I've owned eventually had gremlins...so there's almost an expectation for me. The C30 is supposed to be much more problem-free than the XC70/90 series so I'm not sure of COO plays into that or not.

for me "average" does not work, you need the Japanese level as a minimum. My Japanese cars have have not had electrical issues. I think Volvo did before Ford, and mabe still.

Im looking for a car with comfy seats and thought Volvo used to have those

I doubt that most buyers are aware of who owns the company, or where the vehicle is built. My neighbor recently got a Buick Envision for himself. His wife has a Buick Encore. I mentioned to him that now he has a Chinese built Buick sitting next to a Korean built Buick.

He nor his wife had any idea that their Buick's were not US manufactured!

Originally Posted By: ls973800
I doubt that most buyers are aware of who owns the company, or where the vehicle is built. My neighbor recently got a Buick Envision for himself. His wife has a Buick Encore. I mentioned to him that now he has a Chinese built Buick sitting next to a Korean built Buick.

Interesting but you see, they couldn’t tell a difference.

They replaced the Swedish-made SWB S90 with the LWB Chinese sedan and didn't lower the price one dollar, even though it costs them much less to build it in China. The Chinese S90 shouldn't be priced higher than $15k

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They replaced the Swedish-made SWB S90 with the LWB Chinese sedan and didn't lower the price one dollar, even though it costs them much less to build it in China. The Chinese S90 shouldn't be priced higher than $15k

$15K in China?

Originally Posted By: ls973800

Several years back i was sitting in the waiting area of the local Ford Dealer, and another fella in there, was loudly complaining that he found out the "chevy" his wife had just purchased(Trax maybe?) was made in Korea. "If i had known that I wouldn't have bought the thing! why are we selling cars here made over there" etc, blah blah...

I know most people who would complain about that(whaddya mean it's not made in 'Murica?!? it's a Chevy!), would never even do the slight bit of research to know that the first character of the VIN would tell you the country of manufacture, let alone, what that character means...

the easiest one for this scenario:
USA: 1,4 or 5
Canada: 2
Mexico:3A-3W
Japan: J
Korea(South): KL-KR
China: L

Full listing, with descriptions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number#World_manufacturer_identifier

I know My uncle was surprised when i informed him that 4 of the 5 Lincolns he's bought were made outside the USA..
(1)Zephyr - Mexico
(3)MKX - Canada
(1) Continental - USA!USA!

Last edited:
I won't buy any autos from a China owned company. Way too many defects in other things they send over here. Some are even hazardous to your health. (e.g.: drywall) I'm boycotting Buick since they have chosen to manufacture their new crossover in China instead of the USA. What Cadillac is made in China?

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
I won't buy any autos from a China owned company. Way too many defects in other things they send over here. Some are even hazardous to your health. (e.g.: drywall) I'm boycotting Buick since they have chosen to manufacture their new crossover in China instead of the USA. What Cadillac is made in China?

It's funny that lots of people have this attitude, but I bet a lot of them have no problem using their iphone to make phone calls. The quality in China is fine, it's really up to the manufacturer to police their QC. Some can do it, some can't. Has nothing to do with where it comes from. The drywall problem was when there was a shortage and they got some low cost stuff from China.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi all have plants in China making cars.

Do I even dare to say that this attitude is somewhat racist?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
It's funny that lots of people have this attitude, but I bet a lot of them have no problem using their iphone to make phone calls. The quality in China is fine, it's really up to the manufacturer to police their QC. Some can do it, some can't. Has nothing to do with where it comes from. The drywall problem was when there was a shortage and they got some low cost stuff from China.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi all have plants in China making cars.

Do I even dare to say that this attitude is somewhat racist?

It's a form of xenophobia for sure.

What about a USA-Made S60? Are you supporting the local workers and economy of the state the factory is in, or China? A Chinese company owns Volvo, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back