All things equal...Mobil 1 versus pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deciding between these two lines for my new accord 2.0t. Either in 0w20, 5w30, or the mobil1 are 0w30. Probably stepping up to a 30. All things equal, is there any advantage either holds? Both dexos gen 2, which I want.

Thanks in advance.

I use both and shop price … don’t pass up Valvoline etc if it’s on sale …

Whoever is cheaper whenever it is time to buy.

Walmart has them on regularly for $22 then they have a 10-12 rebate most of the time.

For a daily driver, you can grab any name brand oil on the cheap when they have clearances. It seems to be happening regularly with new Dexos and SN+ rated bottles coming out. Keep an eye out in october - december for clearances on oil as obscenely low prices.

I got QSUD for $8 / 5 quart jug. Some also got the $6 rebate so it was $2 / jug. Also the Idemitsu and Havoline oil grab from Advanced auto and Oreileys.

If you're not interested in rebates, Castrol Magnetec is awsome at ~$18/jug. My tacoma ran really smooth on it. It runs a little thicker than PP 5W-30 and the oil changes looked/smelled/felt no different from normal.

More than you asked for but there you go.
smile.gif

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum are solid choices. Definitely synthetic Dexos1 Gen2 for a Turbo-equipped car. As for grade (viscosity), follow the recommendations/requirements in the Owners Manual.

Both are fine oils. In the 5W-30 viscosity I believe Mobil 1 5W-30 has a higher viscosity of 11 at 100*C than the Pennzoil. The Mobil 1 5W-30 NOAK is 10.1 and the HTHS viscosity is 3.1. Not sure what the Pennzoil 5W-30 oil is with these values. Turbo and DI engine seem to shear the oil more. The higher viscosity and lower NOAK of the Mobil 1 5W-30 could help with that. My UOA's with Mobil 1 5W-30 and Motorcraft 5W-30 are posted in the UOA section of BITOG. The Motorcraft 5W-30 was the second oil with ~4275 miles on the OC and sheared the most with the less mileage.

Whimsey

Have a look at Castrol as well. You really cannot go wrong with any of the choices on the market these days.

I buy M1 because Costco makes it easy and cost competitive. However, I happen to run into some discontinued packaging on PP 10W-30 at my local Autozone and the manager sold me 4 jugs for $35 to clear them out. The Chevy 5.3 burns less oil with PP 10W-30 vs M1 5W-30. So, yeah, either depending on price.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Either brand is fine, but you should stick with whatever you choose as changing oil chemistry every interval does more harm than good.
The military does it as frequent as the wind blows. Do you have some objective data to share that supports your statement? I switched oils quite a bit in my 2010 FX4 with no issues whatsoever--even from synthetic to conventional back to synthetic.

Most on here know my personal thoughts with regards to Mobil oils so I won't get into all the reasons for that other than to say I think Mobil oils are overrated and overpriced.

Will your engine grenade using Mobil oils, I highly doubt it, but I honestly believe many oils exist out there, including Pennzoil, my oil of choice, that are not only cheaper to purchase, but are also a better product.

Both are great oils. You cannot go wrong with either.

The mobil1 will give you better fuel economy. The pennzoil will give you better wear protection. I am splitting hairs though. The difference is small. That is also over the life of the engine after several hundred thousand miles. Studies have shown that wear differences cannot be measured through UOA in the short term of a few thousand miles. By the time it DOES matter the vehicle will have other issues outside of the engine if you change your oil regularly.

Even so, I want the wear protection. So I choose Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: irv
Most on here know my personal thoughts with regards to Mobil oils so I won't get into all the reasons for that other than to say I think Mobil oils are overrated and overpriced. Will your engine grenade using Mobil oils, I highly doubt it, but I honestly believe many oils exist out there, including Pennzoil, my oil of choice, that are not only cheaper to purchase, but are also a better product.
Overpriced as compared to what? M1 is and has been the cheapest at WM versus Pennzoil or Castrol. Better is subjective and you would not be able to prove that as a consumer unless you have several hundred thousand in disposable cash. Bottom line is that none of them--Castrol, Mobil, or Pennzoil are bad choices and to discern the differences between them for engine longevity is a near impossible task.

Originally Posted By: vincent714028
Both are great oils. You cannot go wrong with either.

The mobil1 will give you better fuel economy. The pennzoil will give you better wear protection. I am splitting hairs though. The difference is small. That is also over the life of the engine after several hundred thousand miles. Studies have shown that wear differences cannot be measured through UOA in the short term of a few thousand miles. By the time it DOES matter the vehicle will have other issues outside of the engine if you change your oil regularly.

Even so, I want the wear protection. So I choose Pennzoil.

I'm keen to know the source of the study, complete with tear-down data and measurements that supports these claims. Or is this entirely based on the Seq IVA advert that Shell was circulating that only applies to 5w-30?

Flip a coin between AFE and PP, they're both excellent! Although AFE has a slightly higher viscosity at operating temp if that matters. I like it because it's cold weather performance is unmatched which is required in Montana. My Tacoma sits outside year round with no block heater, last winter we had several weeks of -20 and -30 temperatures, never gave me a problem at startup and turned over smoothly without that strained feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back