Wait... FRAM??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I’ve been gone for awhile. I’m seeing all kinds of posts with people using FRAM filters. When I was last here, they were considered to be so bad we had members performing exorcisms on them (okay, maybe not THAT bad, but close). Are they considered to be decent now?

Also... Purolator- no good? I just swapped a filter last night on my Santa Fe since I’m running an engine cleaner through it. It’s a couple of years old but looked good. Should I trash it?

Sincerely,
Confused old member

I think a lot of the current Fram love comes from the Ultra filter vs the other lines. Tearolators are for sure out. I stopped buying Motorcraft too.

Purolator filters have had issues with the media tearing (and the occasional torn anti drainback valve). Not all of them have the issue and there is no need to trash the one you have, but you may want to consider their quality control issues before buying another since there are other filters at the same price point with a better track record. Purolator also hasn't responded to this site's members when asked about the torn media.

Fram Ultras have very good construction and efficiency for a good price. They have metal end caps and a wire backed synthetic media. The opinion on the engineered fiber endcaps on the Extra Guard and Tough Guard filters has also started to shift here. To be honest, it never really was a problem other than not looking as good when cut open. They always performed well and there have been very few failures reported. Fram also participates on this forum and responds to complaints. The Extra Guard now has a silicone anti drainback valve which is a big step up in quality not found in other filters at this price point. Fram posts very good efficiency numbers even in their cheapest filter. Finally, they are an OE supplier for Honda... and there's no way Honda would risk their reputation over an oil filter so that alone should be a good sign that their construction is good.

Isn't it interesting how times change? What was once a terrible product has now become a recommendation.

I still avoid the orange can of death from Fram like the plague. Stick with the top tier offering and you can't go wrong. So Fram Ultra and Purolator BOSS. Excellent filtering capability and long drain intervals if needed.

Got to watch the BOSS baseplates (along with all the other Purolators) for sharp burrs that eat ADBVs-they usually don't get all the way through, but occasionally they do. I have some clearance Puro made Bosch Distance Plus filters that I use on 4X4 vehicles for extra protection from thrown road debris, they haven't shown any sign of damage yet.

I have used Fram and Mobil 1 filters for decades w/o issue. I joined Bitog and switched from Fram to Purolator, for a few years which turned out to be a mistake. I should have stuck with Fram the entire time. Now I'm back with Fram for a few years and have no intentions to ever second guess myself regarding filters or changing back to Purolator. There are better filters for the money, much better.

OCOD is a fine filter. People freaked out about the cardboard end caps as a sacrifice in quality for cheapness. Fram seems to have proven everyone wrong in this category since I have not seen a single instance of the endcaps buckling, bowing or otherwise failing in the cut open filter posts.

You KNOW if there was one, the naysayers would hold it up as the poster child of FRAM cheaping out.

For 5K mile intervals and less than 1 year, I'd screw on a OCOD with no concerns.

Wow! eight years? Welcome back!
welcome2.gif

Fram makes the best filters now, that was confirmed when they put a silicone ADBV in the OCOD. They also have an employee who has an account here and you can PM him I guess.

Wow. Okay then, I’ll use FRAM without a second thought.

It hasn’t been quite 8 years, I’ve lurked off and on, but it’s been at least 5 since my last logon for sure. Anything else I’ve missed?
grin.gif

And Fram isn't/wasn't the only filters with
FIBER end caps. Wix, Champlabs, and a couple other
filter makers also use them on some filters.
If designed well, there shouldn't be a problem
if used according to the filter makers recommendations.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: jazztrumpet216

It hasn’t been quite 8 years, I’ve lurked off and on, but it’s been at least 5 since my last logon for sure. Anything else I’ve missed?
grin.gif

Plenty! Start with the thick va thin debate.

Wix filters are solid and have ever avoided the Fram or Purolator stigma.

From a Honda perspective I alternate between Honda A01 or Fram Ultras depending on price/availability. I can’t justify spending any more on Mobil 1, Amsoil or Royal Purple. Ultras seem to be the best value considering their construction, cost and drain interval.

I grew up using OCOD's on numerous vehicles, so did many people we knew. The vehicles long rotted away before they had an oil filter related issue.

Saying that, thanks to this forum I love the Ultra in my gas vehicles, just a well built, efficient filter.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have used Fram and Mobil 1 filters for decades w/o issue. I joined Bitog and switched from Fram to Purolator, for a few years which turned out to be a mistake. I should have stuck with Fram the entire time. Now I'm back with Fram for a few years and have no intentions to ever second guess myself regarding filters or changing back to Purolator. There are better filters for the money, much better.

Yep, Purolator motto is "tearing now and tearing later"

The Fram Ultra is my go to oil filter. I have no issues with the Tough Guard or Extra Guard either.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
The Fram Ultra is my go to oil filter. I have no issues with the Tough Guard or Extra Guard either.

+1

Boss wouldn't be bad, if it weren't for the tiny louvers and torn ADBV problems I'd consider using them. Since it's impossible for those to have media tears.
I stick to Fram Tough Guards, Ultras and Napa Gold. Although Napa and Wix filters are now made by Mann Hummel who make Purolators so I'm going to be watching closely for problems. Right now they're still looking pretty good, have a center tube with lots of large holes instead of louvers and have medias that don't tear.

Originally Posted By: JLTD

grin.gif

Plenty! Start with the thick va thin debate.

Wix filters are solid and have ever avoided the Fram or Purolator stigma.

When I last logged in, most were pretty firmly in the “thin” camp but there were a couple of holdouts. How many times has it gone back and forth?

So, I’ve been gone for awhile.

A lot of things can change over 8 years ... which is the last time you were posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back