Status
Not open for further replies.
Motor: 2018 Yamaha F90XB Outboard
OCI: 10 hours
OCI length: 1 month
Oil: Yamalube 10W-30
Oil Filter: Yamaha 5GH-13440-70
Make up oil: none

This is my first outboard UOA on my first 4 stroke outboard. After completing the initial 10 hour break in I changed the oil but left the filter. The manual states that the motor is shipped dry. I would assume the boat dealership used Yamalube 10W-30 since they are a Yamaha dealer but who knows. I did replace with Yamalube 10W-30 so it will be interesting to compare UOA's when I change oil again this fall for winter storage. Since the motor is breaking in nothing much to see but it's nice to establish a baseline.

The first oil change and you left the first, original factory filter on? Each to their own, but that filter would be coming off as fast as the oil coming out of the drain.
Looking forward to seeing the next UOA.

I have heard Yamalube is high in moly content but I have read conflicting reports whether that is a good thing or not.

I am not a big fan of Yamalube, mainly due to its price and from what I have seen from prior UOAs and VOAs.

Pennzoil comes out on top according to this article but since I get my local to my camping spot marina to look after and store my boat each year, Merc oil is what goes in it.
https://themarinelab.com/best-4-stroke-outboard-oil/

Last edited:
gf,
imho big mistake keeping the filter in on the 1st uoa.
that would be the #1 thing to discard
lots more fuel in that oil than what the report shows...the 390 flash proves that
that is a LOT of silicon sealer in that oil
where would that much tin be coming from? same for manganese.
the chrome blip is interesting. suprised we didnt see the typical stoner silver blip

i would like to highly suggest you dont go more than 10 more hours on that filter

steve

Some Yamalubes are high in moly by design. No need to worry about that.

Recommend that anyone doing a UOA on an outboard use Oil Analyzers (not Blackstone). I learned this the hard way. A primary thing you are looking for in a UOA for an outboard is fuel dilution. A main reason to do UOAs on outboards is to figure how long you can go before your fuel dilution gets too high (it's often less than the recommended OCI). Blackstone can't accurately determine fuel dilution- Oil Analyzers can because OA uses gas chromatography.

The
Make sure you run her WOT a lot early on to set the rings, hopefully to avoid future fuel dilution issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back