What will smoke do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its fire season. Its been smokey the last month or so. Does smoke affect air filters or oci’s? I use my cruze 5 days a week 30 miles round trip each day. The equinox is about 250 miles a month. Should i even worry about it. Equinox has about 500 on current oci and cruze is about 3500 on its oci. Also the cruze has a aem dryflow filter/intake.

Very topical in the PNW and southern BC. Last summer I had ash making it through my paper filter as indicated by ash permeating through my paper filter and a high silicon content of the one and only UOA I had done. I installed a Fram Tough Guard Air filter I got from Amazon that is a paper filter that is lightly oiled. I’ll know by October if it was an improvement. Here is is:

[img:gal:806295b6f63af6a468]https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/at...a582eb2586.jpeg[/

Here is a fire 5 miles from my home that is currently burning. They evacuated 120 people in the area.

Last edited:
I’d focus more on air filtration than oil.

If you’re running an aftermarket intake (not just a drop-in fikter) and you’re not tuned for it, I’d ditch it. Habitually driving through polluted air would be further logic against an aftermarket intake.

Will the difference in filtering capability between an aftermarket dry-flow intake and the OEM ducting with OE-style paper filter cause a significance shortening of engine life for the former? Very likely not. For someone who drives through smoke a lot? I’d say the risk for increased wear wouldn’t come close to covering how “cool” the intake sounds. That is, unless you’re tuned for it and actually making more power with the intake (as unlikely as that is on a stock motor/turbo).

Snagglefoot, That's about how it looks here, we can't see your smoke from Alberta/B.C. because we can't see thru our own smoke.

We are now getting fallout from the sky, I'm far from worried about my vehicles air filters and oil contamination as I really don't drive enough. What does bother me is allergies, and I'm now sick from smoke exposure and will be house bound till the skies clear up a bit.

P.S. If I tell you to go jump in a lake, would you take it literally? lol...

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
I am tuned. From my understanding the aem dryflow is highly regarded.

yup, AEM dryflow was the top rated airfilter some 10 years ago the last time I researched the subject. I have them on both of my trucks.

I am tuned. From my understanding the aem dryflow is highly regarded.

It is. I had the AEM CAI on my '08 STI and never had elevated Si numbers in UOA. HOWEVER, my area is pretty clean - I don't drive through forest-fire smoke.

Cobb's OTS tune showed a moderate increase in HP through the midrange and a minor benefit to spool time. All around, the risk of worse filtration was low compared to the gain in performance. Even if performance gains were substantial, the butt dyno gained at LEAST 75 HP from the new noises the intake generated!
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Snagglefoot, That's about how it looks here, we can't see your smoke from Alberta/B.C. because we can't see thru our own smoke.

We are now getting fallout from the sky, I'm far from worried about my vehicles air filters and oil contamination as I really don't drive enough. What does bother me is allergies, and I'm now sick from smoke exposure and will be house bound till the skies clear up a bit.

Gladly. Woke up this morning to some pretty bad smoke. The windows were all open to cool off the house but the smoke got in. Moved down to the basement and it’s better. Windows closed. AC on. Gin and tonic on standby.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder

Maybe consider one of these when driving?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purifier-Gestur...ds=air+purifier

At 7cm diameter and 18cm long, they claim it will fit in a car cupholder and filter all the air in the car every 10mins

If Mann make a "Frecious" cabin filter for your car these claim PM2.5 filtration.
amzn.to/2A1Nz1O - check the applications list on Mann's website.

At home, perhaps a HEPA filter, either as an upgrade to your aircon or on a separate fan. I suppose this could also be a DIY upgrade to a car aircon/cabin filter system.

Some links. The focus is on China / Taiwan, (where I'm at, and where winter air quality is a general threat to survival), but the principles and some of the products will apply elsewhwere.

www.myhealthbeijing.com/pollution/how-to-choose-an.../

www.myhealthbeijing.com/pollution/a-200-rmb-diy-ai.../

smartairfilters.com/

Last edited:
The Province of British Columbia just declared a State of Emergency. There are over 550 forest fires burning across the Province. This will allow more provincial funding to be applied for the management of the fires.

Last edited:
Heres how bad it is where im at.

Why you have Blue skies? Almost looks like fog!

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Saw some vehicles today that looked like they must have been rolling down a gravel road. Turned out they were covered in forest fire ash.

You guys North of the boarder have it worse than us, If you have seen the satellite images the swirl pattern starts over in B.C. costal, comes down thru coastal Washington, then inland into Oregon and into eastern Washington, North Idaho/Montana, bringing every bit of smoke from every fire along the way, then it has crossed the boarder without asking permission! And has ended up on your door step! They claimed on the local news that the smoke pattern from the fires I just described have also made it all the way over to the great lakes area! Illinois... They claim its not going away anytime soon;=(

Ducked: Might check into that, but I really don't drive that much, I'm retired somewhat, but thank you!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I wish we could give you guys some of the excessive rain we've had here in the East Coast.

Thank you for the thought, but we do "Not" want any rain this time of the year, it won't do much of anything for the fires, maybe just give fire fighters a break from the heat for a day, but the rain this time of the year will cause a lot more fires as 99% of our fires up here are started from lightning strikes, and this time of the year we do not have rain without lightning, and more fires! "NO rain"

First picture is looking toward Washington to the west from, 50 miles below Canada, 5 miles from the Montana boarder. The farther mountain is 1 mile away.

Last edited:
This picture is looking North east toward Calgary, Alberta Canada. It is much clearer looking toward Canada, the farthest mountain you see is 3/4 mile away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back