Hydrogear EZT-2200 oil change - ZDDP Preparation

The ZDDP level for API SN level is lower than previous SJ levels.
I am planning to boost it to the 1200 ppm Zn and 1100 ppm P level.

Preparing for the EZT-2200 oil change using NAPA 15W-50 synthetic and added 18g Redline ZDDP specification

Redline ZDDP density = 0.96 grams/ml
1 fluid oz = 29.57 ml

1 fluid oz of ZDDP contains 690 ppm Zn and 572 ppm P
Used 18 grams of ZDDP

437.47 ppm Zn = (690 ppm Zn*18g)/28.39g
437.47 ppm Zn + 800 ppm base = 1237.5 ppm Zn

362.66 ppm P= (572 ppm P*18g)/28.39g
362.66 ppm P + 760ppm base = 1122.7 ppm P

From Valvoline customer service:

15W-50
KV100 (cSt) 19.4
KV40 (cSt) 137
Viscosity Index 161
Spec Gravity 0.857
Flash COC (oC) 248
Pour Point (oC) -30
CCS cP (oC)max 7000(-20C)
MRV TP-1 cP (oC)60,000(-25C)
Noack % off Zinc, ppm 800
Phosphorus, ppm 760

I think I am ready to do an oil change. I hope it is not too corrosive.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I’d run Amsoil AHF and be done with it.

I am a spendthrift individual and love to calculate my potential saving over traditional available procurement methods.
The Napa 15w-50 was on sale recently at $3 qt, the Redline was $16 per 16 oz bottle. So the 18g of ZDDP costs 0.63 per dose.

.96g/ml * 29.57 ml/fluid oz * 16 fluid oz = 454 grams
1600 cents/454 grams * 18 grams = 63.4 cents for a dose of ZDDP.

Total cost: synthetic 15w-50 SN oil with 1200 ppm Zn , 1100 ppm P is $3.63 qt

I could have used Rislone ZDDP @$5 for 11 oz bottle, but I wasn’t comfortable with their customer service additive calculation.

Thank you for pushing me to do the cost calculations.

Last edited:
What led to believe that a 15W50 doesn't have other Anti-Wear additives other than zddp?

What leads you to believe that anything but a 10W30 is needed in an OPE engine?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
What led to believe that a 15W50 doesn't have other Anti-Wear additives other than zddp?

I believe he's referring to a hydrostatic transmission on a zero-turn mower. I have two ZTR mowers and I just run what the manufacturer recommends. I have more entertaining vehicular dilemmas to overthink...
19.gif

Originally Posted By: MParr
The service manual specs 20W50.

Hydrogear customer service said it was ok to run 15w-50 in the hydrostatic transmission. There has been previous BTOG postings where end users have used Mobil 1 15w-50 5 qt jug successfully. By the way, the Mobil 1 15w-50 is available at WM for $23 and there is a $10 Mobil 1 rebate.

Last edited:
I recently changed a set of ezt transmissions in a John Deere Z225 with the Napa 15w-50. The axles are quiet and smooth.

I also recently changed a set of ZT2800’s. Also quieter than before and smooth.

Seems good to me.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525

Hydrogear customer service said it was ok to run 15w-50 in the hydrostatic transmission. There has been previous BTOG postings where end users have used Mobil 1 15w-50 5 qt jug successfully. By the way, the Mobil 1 15w-50 is available at WM for $23 and there is a $10 Mobil 1 rebate.

I didn’t know there was a rebate going on right now.

Originally Posted By: racinjason

I didn’t know there was a rebate going on right now.

It says any Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil or Mobil Super™ Synthetic motor oil . Mobil 1 Rebate

Last edited:
Hydrogear approves API SJ or higher oil and one would assume that the current SN/SN Plus would exceed the manufacture recommendation except that a hydrostatic transmission is not an internal combustion engine. This is why Amsoil AHF with higher ZDDP levels is preferred by the commercial who performs 100++ hrs OC.

Today, SN 15w-50/20W-50 is probably not preferred choice.
Valvoline Racing VR1 20W-50 is a better alternative.

SAE 10W-30 APi SL
SAE 20W-50 API SJ

Valvoline VR1 Reference
Typical Properties:
SAE 10W-30 SAE 20W-50
V100 (cSt) 11.5 20.0
KV40 (cSt) 64.0 147.0
Viscosity Index 153 154
Density (lbs/gal) 7.15 7.14
CCS (cP @ °C) Pour Point (°C) ≤ -33 °C ≤ -24 °C
TBN (meq KOH/g) 8.5 8.5
Zinc (ppm) 1100 1400
Phosphorous (ppm) 1000 1300
Sulfated Ash (mass %) 1 1
Noack (% loss)

I also found a historicalinteresting read. Torco is an oil refiner.

"Torco In the years previous to 1997, zinc levels between 1,200 and 1,400 ppm could be found in all brands of high-performance motor oils. In 2001, API category SL was introduced with 1,000 ppm maximum phosphorus/zinc content; this was a mandatory 18 percent reduction. In 2005, the API SM category was introduced and “phosphorus/zinc” level was reduced again to a maximum 800 ppm (an additional 20 percent reduction, total 34 percent reduction from API SJ rating); this reduces the phosphorus/zinc to an inadequate level of protection for high-performance engines."

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I believe he's referring to a hydrostatic transmission on a zero-turn mower. I have two ZTR mowers and I just run what the manufacturer recommends. I have more entertaining vehicular dilemmas to overthink...
19.gif

He must be speaking about a hydrostatic transmission on a zero-turn mower but in the original post he didn't tell us the application.

I still stand by my previous statement:
Quote:

I.e., unless you have definitive knowledge that high wear is occurring with what is specified, there is no need to goop up your system with OTC additives.

Last edited:
I recently changed a set of ezt transmissions in a John Deere Z225 with the Napa 15w-50. The axles are quiet and smooth.

I also recently changed a set of ZT2800’s. Also quieter than before and smooth.

Seems good to me.

I am looking forward to the same smoothness and plan to use the www.easyvac.com system to extract the listed capacity of 1.7qts. Hydrogear says I can only get out 75% but I plan to use a lawn mower front wheel jack to maximize the incline. Will report back with my findings.

@racinjason How much transmission oil were you able to extract out of your JD Z225? How many hrs on the Z225?

Last edited:
The ZDDP level for API SN level is lower than previous SJ levels.
I am planning to boost it to the 1200 ppm Zn and 1100 ppm P level.

The lowered ZDDP level requirements only is required to the 30 weight and lower oils. For the 40 weight and higher, you would have to check the particular oil to see if the ZDDP level was lowered or not. Some were lowered acrossed the board, other were not. Mobil 1 15w50 was not and won't need ZDDP enhancer. You can see with this chart: https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

racinjason said:
@racinjason How much transmission oil were you able to extract out of your JD Z225? How many hrs on the Z225?

About 3.3-3.5 qts total for both trans. I usually get very close to 4qts on ezt. It reads 805hrs, but I don’t think it has that many on it. I got it to flip. I do not believe they have ever been serviced. One had some water in it(might have been from me steam cleaning).

Make sure the vents are open and not stopped up!!

The bobcat with ezt2800 had about 575hrs. I believe they have been serviced before.

racinjason said:

About 3.3-3.5 qts total for both trans. I usually get very close to 4qts on ezt. It reads 805hrs, but I don’t think it has that many on it. I got it to flip. I do not believe they have ever been serviced. One had some water in it(might have been from me steam cleaning).

The bobcat with ezt2800 had about 575hrs. I believe they have been serviced before.

Thanks. One EZT-2200 transmission holds 1.7 qts. You probably got most of the oil out. Did you use an oil extractor? My EZT-2200 has only a top fill plug and NO drain plug?

racinjason said:

Thanks. One EZT-2200 transmission holds 1.7 qts. You probably got most of the oil out. Did you use an oil extractor? My EZT-2200 has only a top fill plug and NO drain plug?

I took them out and turned them over. I have a mighty vac and use it frequently. I have not however used it on an EZT. I also removed the vents and made sure they were clean and it makes filling much faster. Trans only takes 5-10 minutes to get out.

One of my vent hoses had mud/dirt clogging it up near the ground. If i were to keep this i would put a barb on the vent and run a 1/4 hose up high, possibly with a fuel filter on the end.

Seems like one didn’t hold as much as the other, maybe the pump had some held in for some reason, no matter, they work good.

I have drained the little tractor style hydro gears with the mighty vac,pull the seat, pull the fill plug, drain about 2qts out. I have dumped them so that’s about all they hold.

The mighty vac was well worth the $ for me.

Last edited:
racinjason said:

I took them out and turned them over. I have a mighty vac and use it frequently. I have not however used it on an EZT. I also removed the vents and made sure they were clean and it makes filling much faster. Trans only takes 5-10 minutes to get out.

One of my vent hoses had mud/dirt clogging it up near the ground. If i were to keep this i would put a barb on the vent and run a 1/4 hose up high, possibly with a fuel filter on the end.

Seems like one didn’t hold as much as the other, maybe the pump had some held in for some reason, no matter, they work good.

I have drained the little tractor style hydro gears with the mighty vac,pull the seat, pull the fill plug, drain about 2qts out. I have dumped them so that’s about all they hold.

The mighty vac was well worth the $ for me.

Excellent job and a nice detailed description. I don’t trust myself removing both transmissions from the the cub cadet RZT 42S and getting it back to working condition. I will go the easy vac method and fish through the the suction hose as best I can. Thanks again.

I have done the vacuum it out but find replacing it to be a very slow and tedious gravity feed process. Any suggestions to refill faster.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have done the vacuum it out but find replacing it to be a very slow and tedious gravity feed process. Any suggestions to refill faster.

Racinjason suggests removing the adjacent breather plug/tube to refill. As an alternative method, I am thinking of a temporarily replacing the filler plug with a sae 9/16-18 plug with a barb fitting attached to a tygon tube 1 quart fluid transfer pump. Next, I would then attach my easyvac suction tube to the breather plug/tube and pump the easyvac to pull a vacuum. Hopefully, I will be able to fluid transfer pump and fill. I never done this before so any comment would be welcome to refine the process.

@spk2000 How qts were you able to vacuum out? Were you able to remove 100% of the transmission oil?

Back