stp oil treatment other uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Originally Posted By: jakewells
I got a bottle of this laying around is there anything i can use in in besides a engine? I don't want to drain it in my waste oil.

With the age of the vehicles in your sig I wouldn't hesitate to pour it in either. It will do no harm, I actually like the stuff, it at least has some ZDDP and other additives.

I got a little shaeffer's #132 in my nova i like it better.

i have can of STP from the late 60s in my oil cabinet. has been opened with aluminum foil over the top

STP has uses outside of the automotive field.
In heavy industry, we purchased it in 55 gal. drums.
We mixed it with "way" oil for sliding surfaces "ways" on large roll grinders, scalpers, and others that had heavy loads.
When the carriages would start to drag and cause the drive motors to draw more amps, it was time to add a bucket of STP to the way oil reservoir. You would see the motor current drop within minuets.

We also used it when rebuilding large motors, generators, and gearboxes that used Babbitt bearings. some of these bearings would be as large as 48 in. diameter.
During assembly we would "blue and scrape" the bearing surfaces to remove any high spots. After this was done, all bearing surfaces and shafts were completely covered with STP during the final assembly process.
Never lost a bearing using STP.

As I've said before, I don't think STP is a bad additive at all, especially in todays age of DI engines that fuel-dilute the oil down a grade with regularity.

Add the STP part way through an interval, and it boosts the oil back up to where it should be for the rest of the OCI.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
As I've said before, I don't think STP is a bad additive at all, especially in todays age of DI engines that fuel-dilute the oil down a grade with regularity.

Add the STP part way through an interval, and it boosts the oil back up to where it should be for the rest of the OCI.

That's actually not a bad idea. The same can be done with Schaeffers #132 for those inclined to do so.

Well i did find a use for stp again my old nova i have been applying it to the door, trunk, and hood hinges and it has really smoothed them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back