2 Great Interior Products for Carpet/Upholstery Stains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just thought I would share this with you. Just finished cleaning the interior of an 07 Honda Accord (tan interior) that was recently signed over to me. It actually runs and drives good, and the outside isn't bad for it's age and mileage, but OMG was this thing nasty inside. Think inside of a fast food dumpster levels of nasty (smell and filth)! I wanted to hurl when I really took a look and started emptying it out due to how disgusting it was inside with old food, stains, grease, dirty clothes, etc...
37.gif
I will never understand people who treat vehicles this way? Doesn't help both of them worked in industrial jobs and were always filthy after work.

So to be honest the plan was to just get it as clean as I could and then try to sell it for a few bucks. Figured if I could get the trash and other debris out, and wash it up good, I could then use some spray dye to spruce up the rugs and probably the seats too. But had to get it cleaned up 1st (or it would be a part car at best). 4 trash bags FULL of crap later I had it empty.
33.gif

So with it empty I just started on the headliner and worked downward. As I went I was surprised at how well 2 products worked to clean the interior. Products I had used before (why I got them again) and thought were good but I had NEVER put them to a test like this. To shorten this up after a day of working on the car it looks so good inside that I might just keep it and sell my 05 Accord that has about 60K more miles than this 07!!!! I am stunned at how clean I got the inside. No need for any dye now either. Just a lot of Febreze and pine tree air fresheners.
crackmeup2.gif
Still can see a few very light stains here and there if you look at the right angle but overall the inside looks great now. Can't believe it.

So the 2 products in question are...

1. Armor All Cleaning Wipes. Just the basic plain ones. Not the ones with scents and citrus oil and such (additives might stain upholstery). Most people think these are only for the dash and other plastic/vinyl trim pieces and that is not so. In addition to cleaning off the dash and trim really well these wipes work great for cleaning stains off of seat upholstery and headliners too. Always test a small area 1st for color safety but I have never had them stain anything once the liquid on them dries. The headliner and seats were covered with a black greasy residue and dirt, the headliner/visors had small spots of stuff (soda or food?) all over it, and the seats had huge black grease and food/drink stains on them. It was awful. But using these wipes (used an entire container of the largest size) and scrubbing at the spots, and changing wipes frequently (once they dry out or get really dirty you need to change them), they are about 95%+ gone. I truly am stunned. If you have a really stubborn stain lay a fresh wipe over it, press down so it is nice and flat, and cover with a towel and let sit for like 15 minutes. It seems to loosen the stain up. Just scrub at them until they are gone. You will be amazed at how it just makes those stains go away. Even on tan upholstery. Unless you are right on top of them now the seats look almost new!

http://www.armorall.com/products/wipes/cleaning-wipes

2. Turtle Wax Power Out Carpet & Mat Cleaner. Looks like your typical spray foam carpet cleaner but man does it work. Vacuum the rug to remove as much dirt and debris as you can and then spray a good heavy/thick layer of foam on (especially on the stained areas). Let it sit for about 1-2 minutes and then take a good stiff nylon scrub brush (the one with the can is useless - can't hold it - I got a cheap one at WalMart in the household cleaning section for $1.47) and go over the entire rug scrubbing vigorously. The foam will get pretty nasty as you go and the stains just go away. Really tough stains might require an additional treatment. Once you are done scrubbing wipe any excess foam up with a rag and let the rugs dry then vacuum good. This stuff brought this nasty, dirty, stained beyond belief tan carpet back from the dead. There is one area where it is a little darker than the rest as it was the worst stain in the entire car, and it was hard to get at it with the brush, but it really isn't bad or noticeable. I could dye it but frankly it isn't bad enough for me to bother. The rug looks like new again overall.

https://www.turtlewax.com/our-products/power-out/turtle-wax-power-out-carpet-mats-cleaner

Sorry I don't have any before/after photos. I never expected to be able to get it to the state it is in with just these products. So I didn't bother take photos of how bad it was. Wish now I had LOL. I just can't believe I was able to save this tan interior without dye. I really don't think it had been cleaned in YEARS upon YEARS.

So if you have a really nasty interior to tackle give these products a shot. They truly do work miracles! For less than $25 (wipes, carpet cleaner, 6pak paper towels, and scrub brush), plus a days hard work, I easily doubled the sale value of the car if not more. Probably would have only been a for part sale before I cleaned it. It really was that bad.

Last edited:
Sounds great.
The Turtle Wax stuff really is underrated. I got a can of TW Oxy Power Out! upholstery cleaner and used it on the Ranger, which I had done once with our Bissell machine. Looked much better than it did after I used the Bissell on it, it looked almost like new. Got the stuff for $.99 after a MIR at Menards.
Much easier to use also.

You might want to get a odor bomb, I've used these before to get smoke smell out of cars. I used one I picked up at Pep Boys, set it off and place it by the AC intake and let it circulate.

Glad you got it clean. Too bad we didn't have before and after pics. Check if there is a cabin filter as well that would need replacement.

I haven't used Armorall products in years as there always seemed to be too many horror stories and the likes about them but that is good to know about the wipes and what they do with stains.

Is there any truth that Armorall products shouldn't be used on dashes/tires, etc, due to premature cracking, etc, or has that been proven to be false?

I'm not sure about the American market stuff, but I think we're now okay up here. There was some reformulation years back when they took over STP and its Son of a Gun product. I still prefer the Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner product, but it would seem the biggest concerns are over. If I were using an Armor All product on my dash, I'd probably prefer the matte/natural version to keep dust under control.

Originally Posted By: irv
I haven't used Armorall products in years as there always seemed to be too many horror stories and the likes about them but that is good to know about the wipes and what they do with stains.

Is there any truth that Armorall products shouldn't be used on dashes/tires, etc, due to premature cracking, etc, or has that been proven to be false?

At one time that had some validity. My understanding was the products had a silicone base which when exposed to the sun, over time, would dry the dash out causing it to crack vs protecting it. I don't believe the problem still exists today. However, with that said, I greatly prefer MeGuiar's product's. Better quality with the same price range and availability as AA stuff. For protectant, IMO, you can't beat their Natural Shine product in spray or wipe. I love the Gold Class line for waxes, washes, tire treatment (not made anymore sadly), etc...

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-natural-shine-protectant-g4116-16-oz-spray

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/gold-class-car-wash-shampoo-conditioner

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/prod...16-16-oz-liquid

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm not sure about the American market stuff, but I think we're now okay up here. There was some reformulation years back when they took over STP and its Son of a Gun product. I still prefer the Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner product, but it would seem the biggest concerns are over. If I were using an Armor All product on my dash, I'd probably prefer the matte/natural version to keep dust under control.

I use/used that product as well, but man, has it gone up in price!
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/meguia...HcNrQ#store=187

Lately, since I purchased some 303 on sale, that is what I have been using. I loved the Meguiars on my boat and snowmobile seats as it did a great job, imo, and it didn't make the surface slippery, which is especially important on a snowmobile seat, imo.
The 303 product is also a great product, but truth be told, I do prefer the Meguiars over it.

Have you ever seen it go on sale, Garak? I know I haven't and I watched/waited for a long time but eventually gave up.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

At one time that had some validity. My understanding was the products had a silicone base which when exposed to the sun, over time, would dry the dash out causing it to crack vs protecting it. I don't believe the problem still exists today. However, with that said, I greatly prefer MeGuiar's product's. Better quality with the same price range and availability as AA stuff. For protectant, IMO, you can't beat their Natural Shine product in spray or wipe. I love the Gold Class line for waxes, washes, tire treatment (not made anymore sadly), etc...

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-natural-shine-protectant-g4116-16-oz-spray

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/gold-class-car-wash-shampoo-conditioner

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/prod...16-16-oz-liquid

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

I also like/prefer Meguiars products as well. They have been my go to company for quite some time now.

I use/used that product as well, but man, has it gone up in price!

Do they have the non-marine version which may be cheaper? I'm thinking of the one in the tan bottle, the professional series, the one with the "40" on the bottom left of the label. Of course, with Canadian Tire, you know you can't buy things at regular price, and tracking sales isn't always easy. For the Meguiar's, I get it at a jobber price of $10.51 for 473 mL. I'm talking about this, but with a sprayer.

I don't know if Partsource brings it in or puts it on sale. I'd suggest chatting up a parts counter person and see if you can ingratiate yourself into getting a jobber rate.

Irv, this month, until August 29, Partsource has Meguiar's Professinal series items on special, 30% off, listed at $9.09 to $11.89, and the Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner is pictured. Coincidentally, they also have M1 4.4+1 L packages for $32.99. Time for you to do some shopping.
wink.gif

Irv, this month, until August 29, Partsource has Meguiar's Professinal series items on special, 30% off, listed at $9.09 to $11.89, and the Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner is pictured. Coincidentally, they also have M1 4.4+1 L packages for $32.99. Time for you to do some shopping.
wink.gif

Thanks for the heads up, Garak.
cheers3.gif

I'll be sure to go in tomorrow to grab some.

As far as the Mobil goes, that will be staying right on the shelf where it belongs.
grin.gif

Last edited:
sold flooring for 40yrs, trust me...

have that filth steam cleaned..otherwise Milliken Capture premist & powder (ebay) for carpet/upholstery.

In the past I've taken the carpets out and trampled them in the bath (if I have a bath) with washing powder. An unbelievable amount of filth comes out and I'm sometimes quite surprised to find that the carpet wasn't originally brown.

Current car the carpets so-treated went mouldy in the monsoon (car leaks a bit) and I took them out again. Probably won't ever put them back and I'm not sure where they are now.

What are they for?

I've seen Baking Soda powder sprinkled on filthy carpets, sit for an hour or so, then vacuumed. It had a very good effect on removing odors in the carpet.

No problem. I'm lucky I noticed it; I had just realized I hadn't checked out their August specials yet.

Grabbed 2 bottle today, Garak.

I am not sure what all is different between these and the Marine stuff, but for less than half price, I'll take them regardless.

I also picked up 2 TG oil filters, one for my truck (TG2) and a XG for my wife's Impala. He couldn't find the TG's for her car so he price matched the XG to the TG's sale price.
grin.gif

Thanks again for the heads up, I appreciate it.
11.gif

Well, we both learned something. I didn't even know there was a marine version!

I just checked. The Marine version is a cleaner and protectant but the stuff I bought today, the Mirror Glaze, says it is a conditioner instead?
https://meguiars.ca/product/m40-mirror-glaze-vinyl-rubber-cleaner-conditioner-2/
Durable protection that screens out damaging UV rays
Restores life and colour
Leaves a rich, natural sheen, unlike the shiny synthetic coating of simple protectants

https://meguiars.ca/product/marinerv-vinyl-rubber-cleanerconditioner/
Cleans, revitalises and protects vinyl and rubber surfaces in one easy step. Screens out damaging UV rays that can dry out or crack the surface

Likely not a lot of difference between the 2 but I need to try the new stuff to see if there is any/much difference?

Sure is pricey on Amazon!
eek.gif

https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-Mirror-Rubber-Cleaner-Conditioner/dp/B0002SQYV4

Last edited:
I'd consider it a bit of a matte finish. I'm sure it "protects," too. We know how all these marketing blurbs are. At least you've used the marine one, so you'll be able to compare your experiences with both products. As for Amazon, you know how silly some of the Canadian pricing can be. That's crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back