LS2 Engine Break-In Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
What break in procedure would you recommend for my rebuilt LS2 engine? It’s getting a full rebuild with piston rings, gaskets, bearings, etc. Reason it’s getting a rebuild currently is due to the 9 PSI I get at idle and a max of 18 PSI when cruising. Truck is cammed with a melling high pressure pump and a few other upgrades as well.

You will need a good oil pump in a built ls. Take it easy till warm amd check oil pressure amd for leaks and the run the [censored] out of it.

Originally Posted By: Spitter
You will need a good oil pump in a built ls. Take it easy till warm amd check oil pressure amd for leaks and the run the [censored] out of it.

x2
thumbsup2.gif

I've always been a fan of not running a steady speed, speeding up & running downhill in a lower gear to help seat the rings. Just fired up my brother's rebuilt 283 (bored & stroked to 311) with mechanical flat tappets & moderately high lift cam, ran the last of my Delo 400 SAE 30 with a bottle of Crane Cams break-in oil, for 30 minutes continuously at 2000-2200 RPM. Seems to be doing OK, he's putting a new carb on it today (his other one was too big at 750 CFM & needs rebuilt).

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
I'd get rid of the high pressure pump. What is it doing other than circulating the oil faster than needed?

Poorly built engines need something to keep the oil pressure up at hot idle!

My L92 went straight to the chassis dyno before any miles were put on it. Ran hard & put-up wet ever since with no/little oil usage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
I'd get rid of the high pressure pump. What is it doing other than circulating the oil faster than needed?

Poorly built engines need something to keep the oil pressure up at hot idle!

+1 I remember many years ago working in a machine shop when I was in HS. I asked a lot of questions trying to learn. I recall one of the machinists telling me there were certain applications that benefited from a high pressure oil pump, but most of the time they were tossed in a poorly built engine to raise hot idle oil pressure.

With the new LT1 and LT4 engine in the new Corvettes, GM's official recommendation for break in is not to go full throttle for the first 500 miles and not to rev the engine past about 4000rpm or so. These seem like good guidelines to use in the LS2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back