Valvoline 5w40 CK-4 in 2014 F250

Status
Not open for further replies.

My supply of Motorcraft 5w40 CJ-4 oil dried up, so I went with one of the first 5w40 oils listed on the Ford approved oils list. In my area Valvoline 5w40 is plentiful at NAPA for $19.99/gallon or on Amazon for same price when not on sale at NAPA. After my initial test of the Motorcraft reported running more miles, I started running it for 7500 miles. Since the Valvoline is much cheaper than the Motorcraft, I decided to run it about 5500 miles, test it and see if there were any major changes between the CJ-4 and the new CK-4 oils. You guys take a look, it looks good to me. Notice the oil stayed in weight for the entire 5500 miles so I'll probably run this next OCI out to at least 7500 miles or more. I also noticed fewer regens and the motor was quieter during the entire 5500 miles.

The oil was changed at 90,508 miles and did have about 2000 miles of towing my 10k lb fifth wheel camper on it.

Less than 1000PPM phosphorus which is supposed to be the determinating factor for Ford to approve a CK-4 oil for a Powerstroke. They contradict themselves at every turn...

totally normal wear trending.
can go much further on the OCI.
are you following the IOLM? or just OCI around 6k miles? for these durations just use dino oil; the engine will never know the difference.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
totally normal wear trending.
can go much further on the OCI.
are you following the IOLM? or just OCI around 6k miles? for these durations just use dino oil; the engine will never know the difference.

The engine won't know the difference with dino (CK-4) following the IOLM to 0%.

Would it be OK to switch back to dino 10w30 at 93k miles after 70k+ miles on a 5w40 synthetic? I tow at least 50% of the time and the dealership recommended 5w40 to me a couple years ago. I know after reading through this forum for a few years my dealership is in the minority when it comes to oil recommendations in the 6.7, but when I brought up the discussion, the tech pulled out a checklist that basically asked how I drive and use my truck. After about four questions the tech said according to Ford, I needed 5w40 oil based on the way I use my truck. I made the switch and never looked back. I do change my own oil now because the dealership 5w40 changes are expensive and now I can find Valvoline almost as cheap as some 10w30s out there.

FYI, I plan to run this OCI until the truck tells me to change it and test again.

There is not a whole lot of difference these day between top quality conventional and syn oils these days. The difference if any is at the highest end of the extremes

There are plenty of 10w-30s, even conventional lubes, that meet the current Ford F1 spec.
Despite Ford's obsession with Phos and syns, the data shows that conventional HDEO 30 grades do every bit as well even in heavy use.
Save your money and go get some inexpensive 10w-30 and rest easy.

Last edited:
Thanks dnewton3. I've followed you and roadrunner1 on this forum for a couple of years and I put a lot of stock into your opinions. I'll start the next OCI with either motorcraft 10w30 or John Deere 10w30. Either one is pretty plentiful in my area.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
Weaker than what Valvoline advertises it at on the website I read from.

Weaker why, how and the data you read where?

Originally Posted By: TOLSON
Weaker than what Valvoline advertises it at on the website I read from.

Weaker why, how and the data you read where?

https://www.ghberlinwindward.com/wp-cont...-4-791x1024.jpg

Image shows stronger contents unless they diminished that much over the duration of use regarding the Born, Zinc, and Phosphorous ppm.

RocDocs sample is not virgin. His results are pretty much in line with my extreme results at 5200 miles. From a qualitative stand point the extreme Blue is a strong oil. You are talking about a quantitative comparison of virgin to used.

Thanks for sharing the virgin analysis, I've never been able to find one.

Valvoline 5W-40 CK-4 is not on the Ford approved oils list published last week. Your engine is already out of warranty so you will not have to argue anything with Ford, but it is not on their list.

Originally Posted By: wdn
Valvoline 5W-40 CK-4 is not on the Ford approved oils list published last week. Your engine is already out of warranty so you will not have to argue anything with Ford, but it is not on their list.

It's on the list dated 8.1.2018
Ford oil list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back