JWS 3309, what would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to get into a routine of doing a drain and fill every 15k miles on our new Mini (yields about 3 quarts). Fluid spec is JWS 3309 for the Aisin transmission. JWS 3309 is nothing fancy (mineral). There are many synthetics that are “recommended” for the JWS 3309 spec. Aisin or Toyota branded JWS 3309 fluid is about $6 a quart. What would you use? I’ve Castrol come up a couple times on various forums.

I can only say that I have used both Castrol IMV and MaxLife in vehicles that required 3309/T-IV with great success. I would buy whichever is the least expensive at the time of your D&F.

We have a Lexus es which uses T-IV. After 100k miles of experimenting with various fluids, I am using 3309 and much happier.

I have used Maxlife, Castrol IMV, and Castrol High Mileage. 3309 gives smoother performance, with the Castrol HM being the 2nd best. The Maxlife and other newer low viscosity fluids were distinctly worse.

I should also add that I have used the Castrol TM HM and did not notice any differences between any of the 3 now that I've mentioned. All being good.

Plenty of AW transmissions in the family so I've done "this" a lot.

Mobil 3309 IS a conventional fluid. Most don't know that. I found cases in Virginia years ago.

Amalie Super Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid. Buy through the Amaliestore.com. Shipping is free over $39 last time I bought some. Their oils are real reasonably priced too.

Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV. The LV stands for Low Viscosity. Works perfectly. I bought 12 gallons once on an AutoZone 1/2 price sale. It's gone now.

I've bought cases of Toyota Type-IV at my nearest dealership.

Aisin sells a fluid through FCPEuroparts and eEuroparts.

The Amalie product is by far the lowest priced.

Never a problem with any of these.

Happy draining. "A clean transmission is a happy transmission providing it's not sad in the first place."

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
JWS 3309 is nothing fancy (mineral). There are many synthetics that are “recommended” for the JWS 3309 spec. Aisin or Toyota branded JWS 3309 fluid is about $6 a quart.

Are you a fluid scientist?

Who said that it is no fancy fluid, its on millions of vehicles and running just fine.

It is the best fluid speced for Toyota that calls for T-IV.

Yes it isn't a lifetime fluid but definitely a 60K fluid.
Yes XOM makes the 3309 (remember only XOM makes the T-IV/3309) and they are surely priced a dollar less than the dealership.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I can only say that I have used both Castrol IMV and MaxLife in vehicles that required 3309/T-IV with great success. I would buy whichever is the least expensive at the time of your D&F.

I have used both of these … but in my area the Castrol has been hard to find at times … and the individual quarts can cost more than jugs … going to migrate to Maxlife …
Have three vehicles that drain a gallon anyway

I've used Toyota and Mobil 3309 in my Tundra.

I once tried Red Line D4 (replaced most of the existing 3309/T-IV with D4), and it affected the shifting significantly. I left it in for 3000 miles, then went back with Toyota T-IV and Mobil 3309 again.

Rockauto also sells Aisin T-IV fluid, which I would use as well. Most of the fluids like Castrol IMV and MaxLife aren't approved for 3309, just recommended. They might be fine, but I won't deviate from approved fluids anymore after my experience with D4.

Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic ATF has a JWS-3309 approval. I buy it at my local Shell distributor for $4.25/qt. PepBoys also carries it.

Sam

Pennzoil claims are one part, do they have a license much like Dexron/Mercon ... doubt it.

Used D6 on my Lexus and quickly dumped it when there were flares, the while idea of synthetic isn't cutting it. WS is just fine on the vehicle in high heat summers.

The Pennzoil is very close to the viscosity of 3309 and is synthetic.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Pennzoil claims are one part, do they have a license much like Dexron/Mercon ... doubt it.

Used D6 on my Lexus and quickly dumped it when there were flares, the while idea of synthetic isn't cutting it. WS is just fine on the vehicle in high heat summers.

Pennzoil states JWS-3309 Approval, not "recommended for" on the bottle. I used it for over 140,000 miles in an 07 Volvo V70 (AW 50-55) and now in the Highlander below. Butter smooth shifts. No flares. I cannot tell any difference from the Mobil 3309 or Toyota purchased T-IV.

Sam

Last edited:
since it's only 3 quarts go for it.

15K is way too quick. but you may drive the car HARD in which case, I'd change the
brake fluid, and motor oil just as frequently.

and if you decide for maxlife - Walmart has it for under 4.50 per quart in the gal container.

and I've used it in aisin transmissions with NO but minis may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back