List of 0W-20 oils by base-oil-quality index (BOQI): 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I don't trust wear check for their virgin TBN analysis. 6.2 is way too low and other VOAs have revealed the old TGMO formula at around 8 TBN new: http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/8410-toyota-genuine-0w-20-kanistra-plastik/

The newest TGMO has a virgin TBN of 10 confirmed by both oil club & PQIA: http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/31986...ka-new-svezhee/ http://pqiadata.org/Toyota_0W20.html

This indicates that Toyota knew that a TBN of 8 was borderline for their 10K mile interval so they increased it to 10. They wouldn't have changed the formula otherwise.

Your UOA on the old Toyota 4A isn't representative of modern engines that run much hotter & leaner for fuel economy reasons, so it's much lighter on oil than a short tripped modern TGDI for example.

A 7.71 TBN in the Nissan oil may hit 10K miles if the car was never short tripped especially in an older less stressful engine. But throw in 50% city traffic short tripping into the mix and things don't look good beyond 5K miles, especially since the add pack is all calcium (magnesium add backs are better at TBN retention).

Oh, we now trust an obscure Russian oil blog that used the Russian test method "GlagolOTC 30050" for TBN for the previous formulation of TGMO?

There are two standard test methods for TBN: ASTM D-2896 and ASTM D-4739. The former is used for virgin oil and the latter is used for used oil. ASTM D-2896 indeed gives a higher value than ASTM D-4739, perhaps higher by about 1. PQIA uses ASTM D-2896. The Russian blog used ASTM-2896 for the new formulation of TGMO and it checked with PQIA. Nevertheless, as someone pointed out, TGMO was again reformulated last year, for which we don't have any test data.

ASTM D-4739: Standard test method for ba...itration (link)

WearCheck is very professional. They normally work only with fleets and industry but I was able to create an account with them. I don't know which of the two ASTM methods they normally use for TBN.

Blackstone got 6.84 on TGMO 0W-20 SN in 2011(link). It was 7.0 for TGMO 0W-20 SM. They use ASTM D-4739.

Do you think we should multiply TBN by 1,000 to convert it into the maximum OCI in miles? Is it supported by any evidence?

What about the virgin-oil TAN?

Keep in mind that when the base-oil quality increases, such as when they use PAO or GTL base oils, TBN requirement decreases, as most acids are caused by base-oil oxidation, in addition to sulfation by fuel (less of a problem in areas with low-sulfur gas such as in California and Europe) and nitration by combustion.

So, is it our conclusion that neither Nissan nor ExxonMobil has no I idea what they're doing? This is the newly introduced GTL-based official OEM oil for Nissan cars and it's supposed to last for at least their normal 10,000-mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Oh, we now trust an obscure Russian oil blog that used the Russian test method "GlagolOTC 30050" for TBN for the previous formulation of TGMO?

Ha! The Russian guys concluded that the new TGMO (well, the 2015 formulation, not the 2017) is GTL through their FTIR (Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy). This is the conclusion I reached using my base-oil-quality index (BOQI). I like these guys! Perhaps I'll let them use my BOQI.
wink.gif
Thanks for the link.

They also concluded that the moly used is Molyvan 855 by Vanderbilt, not the Infineum trinuclear moly. Again, I like these guys! These guys are very knowledgeable indeed.

Oil-Club Russia test of TGMO 0W-20 SN (2015 formulation)

wyGDygH3LDFKnlAdKuoZmH7qpGTWIpX2HhI3zGhmSDUTfcIsldvNYlRe7LdTwbPLkx8kurtawae37zi75xcYsiKux996lZDfeT49O70ArfIkbjOdo2JtPNj45NW5u7t5eezqhiyvCptpxN9E_0qF7WK8vPhLJjqmIPAqpQ3NpaL_LIrwL9GBxLC5cHh9SX_dp-0sDdORcc9-KFamy6x1bZsGrvjSs9CC2YjVHOvdwVnwhEpA03K7O_lC9BWmtesizS1e7SmvkYOJm-FHAFOY83F5UCkJ6_X-bOW8h_XG3FrcZGj-PD7WVOp2U6sDQMZz7-28ekPEwsMVp7nHzvtwi4LBtP272Ta1EQ8Sb2s-CY8ShAbFqsLGyLyAWjQSeSLzN6KZenCm5rwo78vmg9OSJDpqgeK5-0pDOXvkFYkkFo7CFSK9C5JoyHR4DxlP_5tv7RjFLgnKBqfFMKNZRK9H55gREP-i-r-V3x_4Io6Dlx0pzii9OAQWtJBP6C8MYIj3I-umERd3NPMs63HQPnsYJJwMtzzlBA-YmkoWTI9XcXBAjgcXDfow5SZMisnVwJPXKWM2nHgJTvcb5UA859cSMJFPQt9yOynqiQVMzJu9=w1349-h1002-no

HKPolice said:
Regarding the price, it's merely a bargain catch on eBay. I bet the Nissan dealer charges you $10 - 12 a quart. Once the guy on eBay sells out his stock, you will never be able to get this extremely low price of $3.83 a quart with free shipping and no tax.

The ebay seller, Conyers Nissan, is a dealer. They also sell through Amazon. If you search google, there a couple more sites than sell it for less than $4.

Originally Posted By: 2015Corolla
The ebay seller, Conyers Nissan, is a dealer. They also sell through Amazon. If you search google, there a couple more sites than sell it for less than $4.

They all seem to be the same seller -- Conyers Nissan. If you walk into a random Nissan dealer, they will ask for $8 - 12 from my experience with TGMO.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
What 0W-20 M1 oil is rated #1 and #2? AFE and EP are the only two oils I frequently see and AFE is listed. AP recently came out with a 0W-20 so which witch is which?
PQIA has only tested the vanilla M1 0W-20. Unfortunately, there is no data on EP or AP. I would expect these to have better base oils and have higher BOQI indexes than the vanilla M1 but we can't know without actual data. Also, the latest data (2017) for the vanilla M1 is the #5-ranked one.
So a bit worthless without proper identifiers...because you would simply be guessing which oil it was.

So a bit worthless without proper identifiers...because you would simply be guessing which oil it was.

Actually, the names are exact copy and paste from the PQIA site. Rest assured; they include all identifiers. If you don't see Extended Protection or Annual Protection, it's the vanilla Mobil 1.

Actually, the names are exact copy and paste from the PQIA site. Rest assured; they include all identifiers. If you don't see Extended Protection or Annual Protection, it's the vanilla Mobil 1.
No identifiers, so a duplication with different properties?
smirk.gif

No identifiers, so a duplication with different properties?
smirk.gif

Oh, didn't you notice the three different purchase dates, which are 1 - 2 years apart from each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back