Subaru FA20 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

2.0L Boxer engine built by Subaru is also installed in Toyota Scion (known as the Toyota 4U-GSE)-Didn't know that. Apparently a very good engine..It is also turboed in the WRX and Forester.

Originally Posted By: Al
2.0L Boxer engine built by Subaru is also installed in Toyota Scion (known as the Toyota 4U-GSE)-Didn't know that. Apparently a very good engine..It is also turboed in the WRX and Forester.

The forester uses the FB25 in North America
The impreza uses the FB20

The WRX and forester XT(no longer available) use the FA20DIT.. which was significantly different.

The non turbo version is an absolute dog. The brz and Scion and Toyota all suffer with it as it is just weak for a daily driver in an incredible chassis.

they had some serious oil consumption as subaru was "trying" to get better mpg's, + now they use the suspect CVT tranny!!! not getting any of my $$$$. back in 2001 i tested a WRX too $$$ + an impreza outback, both felt like tin-cans compared to the same year jetta i bought + used for 200,000 miles before trading in while running well!!!

The 2.0 non turbo engine Subaru has been using in the 148 HP and 152 HP revision is Slow. It's slower than many cars you've driven with the same or less HP because it lacks torque. I rented a Nissan Versa that had more pep than my sisters 2017 Impreza despite having only 109 HP.
Subaru tunes the electronic throttle to blip open wide momentarily from a standing start to make the car feel peppy. When you stab the gas things don't improve much the first 2 seconds from a standing start. Subaru does it to fool people during the test drive.

Do you feel that the same excessive tb opening is also programmed into the 2.5 engine for tip-in out of the hole? My old 2009 with the old version 2.5 (EJ253) is very linear *by default* but you can adjust the electronic throttle sensitivity if you know the Easter egg calibration process. On mine here's what you do to set the the [electronic] pedal response to aggressive:

1. Pedal to floor
2. Key on to energize system (dash light icons lit) but do not crank engine
3. Allow pedal to return to idle stop
4. Press pedal to floor again
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for three more cycles, ending with pedal held to floor
6. Crank engine and release pedal while cranking

Go drive and notice a more aggressive throttle tip-in and carry through for the first half of pedal travel. Go ahead and call bee-ess if you want, but I'll have had this car ten yrs come October and every time there's been a battery disconnect for whatever maintenance reason, the throttle response goes straight linear and stays that way (no re-learn back to aggressive) with tip-in feeling too mild, which is noticeable with the 5-speed manual, until I do this -- then it feels sporty again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back