2019 Jetta automatic transmission issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I frequent VW Vortex and am sad to see the number of reports of transmission issues on the new 2019 Jetta with the 8 speed automatic. From what I have read they are plagued with torque converter issues, but not affecting the function of the transmission...yet. When driving a low rpm a grinding / metallic scraping sound can be heard. VW has admitted there is a noise, but says it's normal operation "at this time".

My MIL just leased one, hoping she doesn't have these issues. It's a shame, I have really fallen in love with VW since my wife got her Jetta. This model could have been a replacement option down the road. Hopefully they get this issue resolved quickly, this will only damage the brand name further after trying to recover from the diesel scandal.

Just thought I would share.

I have no idea how V.A.G managed to make a torque converter make noise

I'd understand if it was a DSG or alike, but this is a standard TC auto

It seems no one has a decent transmission these days

My brother in law has a 2017 Jetta with an automatic. Not a DSG. It does this thing when coming to a stop. It almost feels like when you come to a stop without pressing in the clutch in a manual. Like the engine is going to die. It happened while I was driving his car and it caught me off guard. I jammed my foot for the non existent clutch pedal since I drive manuals and am used to it. I asked my sister about it and she told me it happens quite often. this is a car with 9500 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I frequent VW Vortex and am sad to see the number of reports of transmission issues on the new 2019 Jetta with the 8 speed automatic. From what I have read they are plagued with torque converter issues, but not affecting the function of the transmission...yet. When driving a low rpm a grinding / metallic scraping sound can be heard. VW has admitted there is a noise, but says it's normal operation "at this time".

My MIL just leased one, hoping she doesn't have these issues. It's a shame, I have really fallen in love with VW since my wife got her Jetta. This model could have been a replacement option down the road. Hopefully they get this issue resolved quickly, this will only damage the brand name further after trying to recover from the diesel scandal.

Just to make sure everyone understands VW uses Aisin 8 speed transmission, same as Toyota, BMW (transverse engines) etc.
It is not only company that has those problems. Toyota Highlander is plagued with them. Go on Toyota Nation forum and you can read horror stories.
It seems BMW managed to get that tranny in order, but apparently they will ditch it soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jongies3
European cars it's best to stick with a manual.

Except VW likes to use dual mass flywheels which to me are terrible. I'm a VW fan (obviously) but their clutch/flywheel combos leave much to be desired. Can't wait till I replace mine with a regular flywheel kit.

Just amazes me . How long have the auto manufacturers been building automatic transmissions ? And they seem ( in some instances ) to not be able to get it right ?

Is this a dual clutch transmission ?

My MIL just leased one, hoping she doesn't have these issues.

It's a lease and should be under warranty the entire time. I guess if it breaks down and strands her, that would suck.... If there's repair work, does VW leases cover a loaner ?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Just amazes me . How long have the auto manufacturers been building automatic transmissions ? And they seem ( in some instances ) to not be able to get it right ?

They keep trying to "improve" them. A lot of those improvements are probably fuel economy driven too, hence the 7, 8, 10 speed and so on transmissions out there with newer vehicles.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Just to make sure everyone understands VW uses Aisin 8 speed transmission, same as Toyota, BMW (transverse engines) etc.
It is not only company that has those problems. Toyota Highlander is plagued with them. Go on Toyota Nation forum and you can read horror stories.
It seems BMW managed to get that tranny in order, but apparently they will ditch it soon.

What did BMW do different ? I presume the mechanics are the same between them so is it how BMW "tunes" or programs the transmission ?

Interesting. To be honest, I really like the styling of your wife's generation Jetta compared to the 2019. The grill on the new one looks a bit off.

I did a transmission fluid change on my sister's 2013 Jetta this past weekend (70k miles) and the fluid was black like used motor oil. The transmission shifted okay before, but much smoother after the change. I plan on doing a drain and fill in about 3,000 miles to try and get more of the dirty fluid exchanged.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Interesting. To be honest, I really like the styling of your wife's generation Jetta compared to the 2019. The grill on the new one looks a bit off.

I did a transmission fluid change on my sister's 2013 Jetta this past weekend (70k miles) and the fluid was black like used motor oil. The transmission shifted okay before, but much smoother after the change. I plan on doing a drain and fill in about 3,000 miles to try and get more of the dirty fluid exchanged.

Yes, I also prefer the styling of the MKVI vs the new 2019 Model. The previous gen is just more timeless. Apparently also more reliable. Also, how do you change the transmission fluid in these? The dealer serviced it recently (only a drain and fill). I would do it myself, just not sure what tools are required or what the process is for these transmissions.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
My brother in law has a 2017 Jetta with an automatic. Not a DSG. It does this thing when coming to a stop. It almost feels like when you come to a stop without pressing in the clutch in a manual. Like the engine is going to die. It happened while I was driving his car and it caught me off guard. I jammed my foot for the non existent clutch pedal since I drive manuals and am used to it. I asked my sister about it and she told me it happens quite often. this is a car with 9500 miles on it.

These 09G's are just that way. Ours has always been a bit jerky, seems to be normal.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: jongies3
European cars it's best to stick with a manual.

Except VW likes to use dual mass flywheels which to me are terrible. I'm a VW fan (obviously) but their clutch/flywheel combos leave much to be desired. Can't wait till I replace mine with a regular flywheel kit.

I just put a 228mm big clutch kit in one, huge difference. Needed to relieve the bell housing a little in places, its a tight fit and use a reinforced fork.

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Have the VW dealer to a flush on the tranny that may help

I think he needs to raise issue generally with VW not just trying to do some short term solution.
I am not sure how similar this is to Toyota's issues with this tranny. From what I have read Toyota is taking silent approach to this, not acknowledging issue, but still fixing when customers raise issue with them.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
My MIL just leased one, hoping she doesn't have these issues.

It's a lease and should be under warranty the entire time. I guess if it breaks down and strands her, that would suck.... If there's repair work, does VW leases cover a loaner ?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

They keep trying to "improve" them. A lot of those improvements are probably fuel economy driven too, hence the 7, 8, 10 speed and so on transmissions out there with newer vehicles.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

What did BMW do different ? I presume the mechanics are the same between them so is it how BMW "tunes" or programs the transmission ?

Programming on BMW is definiately different as it behave totally different then in Toyota. It is not ZF fast, but it is fast. Now whether they did something mechanically, not sure.

Yes, I also prefer the styling of the MKVI vs the new 2019 Model. The previous gen is just more timeless. Apparently also more reliable. Also, how do you change the transmission fluid in these? The dealer serviced it recently (only a drain and fill). I would do it myself, just not sure what tools are required or what the process is for these transmissions.

The transmission has a drain plug, but also must be filled through the same plug. There is a tool you can buy from FCPEuro that threads into the pan to help fill it. There is also a little tube that unscrews inside which acts as a level indicator. I pulled the pan, and honestly the filter looks like just a screen, I'd only do a drain and fill I wouldn't bother with the filter.

Fluid change How-to

How to fill 09G transmission

My wife likely has the same transmission in her 2018 VW Tiguan 4motion SE which is a new AISN 8 speed but coupled to the 2.0T. Not an issue except rare jerky shift I presume VW may fix in software.

With the detuned 2.0T for MPG/early extra torque(221 ft-lbs @1500 rpm) despite the paltry 22/27 EPA ratings we are averaging 28 MPG with 40 city/60 highway mix as this transmission keeps revs really low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back