What temp to rejuvenate silica dessicant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have dessicants - silica beads in pouches - that have lost the ability to absorb moisture. I'd like to bring them back to life. From my chemistry classes of yore, I recall you heat them to do that. Anybody know what temperature of dry heat to use and how long to keep 'em at that temp? And yes, I know using a microwave oven won't work. Thanks in advance.

what kind of pouches?

if it is the disposable kind they cannot be rejuvenated.

Typically it is 250 to 300 for up to 4 hours for the modern reusable kinds.

Note that the anount of moisture they can absorb is very minimal so they only work in enclosed spaces.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
what kind of pouches?

if it is the disposable kind they cannot be rejuvenated.

Typically it is 250 to 300 for up to 4 hours for the modern reusable kinds.

Note that the anount of moisture they can absorb is very minimal so they only work in enclosed spaces.

This is good advise.

What are you trying to protect ?
If it's a gun, I would just wipe it with an oily rag on a regular schedule.

I have some of these "rechargable' desicants and use to put them in a plastic bag with Oil Filters OR Brake Fluid containers.

But now I just dehumidify the Basement during the Summer and the humidity stays low enough not to worry.

I'm getting away from 'rechargable' Desicants just to make life simplier.

Last edited:
You can only expect the silica to absorb about 30% by weight in water. So for that typical 40gram pack, it will absorb only about 12g=12ml (about 12 big drops) of water out of your sealed container (like a safe, sealed storage bin, ziplock bag or similar). If left open to ambient air, it will be saturated within a few hours.

If you're really in need of real drying you need BULK silica, like pounds; the easiest avenue is to look for Flower Drying online at your home improvement or your craft store.

If you need to dehumidify or stabilize a living space, the alternative methods are needed: such as using bulk damprid or a dehumidifier.

I put a few of them in my cars if I won't use the vehicle for a few weeks to a few months. Once I close the doors, I don't open 'em up till I'm ready to use the car again. I live in a damp climate and I found out the dessicants keep fungus from growing on the dash, steering wheel, vinyl, upholstery, inside of the glass windows and windshield, etc. Of course, I disconnect the negative battery cable too.

Ray, the pouches are made of white fibrous material. I really don't know if they are reusable.

go ahead and try your gel,

But your use case seems more a better fit for damprid or even a couple just a couple boxes of baking soda.

If you do use damprid, be sure it is placed stably and with a reliable backup container like a tupperware

The damprid brine is highly messy if it spills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back