OCI For track car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a car I use only for the race track (circuit).
The engine is a 6A12 from a Mitsubishi FTO.

I run 5w40 Shell Helix Ultra in it.

It has been close to 1 year since it's had the current oil in it.
In this year it did about 300 miles (most of which close to redline) and has been warmed up maybe 20-30 times.

What should my OCI be?
Annual?
Should I change oil filter too?

UOA's would help you decide the proper interval.

If the car is used for racing only, I would use a race oil since the add pack would be optimized for those conditions.

Can you tell us more about the engine and environment?
Turbocharged or naturally aspirated?
Approx HP?
Maximum revs on track?
Does it have an oil cooler? Max oil temperature and where measured?
Is there an Accusump (pressure accumulator) in the oil system?

When I was running my Camaro on track, I just depended on the oil monitor to tell me when to change, and the engine survived just fine on various high quality synthetic 5w30's for 16 years.

If you are just doing track work with the engine, a series of UOA's over event weekends would eventually give you a picture of viscosity stability, fuel dilution, oxidation, and wear metal trends. Just starting out, I recommend an oil sample after each event, and after 3 such events trends can begin to be established.

Yeah, it's all about the UOA's. Understand that you hate the expense and leaving the oil in, but it's the best way
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, it's all about the UOA's. Understand that you hate the expense and leaving the oil in, but it's the best way
smile.gif

+1 if you want to know !

Thanks everyone.

I do a time attack against myself, so not competitive racing.
I have a temp gauge on a oil filter sandwich plate and so far max temps were 110c (230f).
The engine is mostly standard (NA) but has some bolts ons and ported heads that give about a 15% increase (230ish hp at the crank).
Cutout rpm are 8,200 but about 8,000rpm is what it sees on the track.
I do warm up and cool down laps.
15-20 min track time per hour and i generally do slow laps in that time to give the car a break

I'll look into a UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back