Sump size trends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many of you on here, I normally buy my motor oil in 5 quart jugs. However, with the recent sale of my Hyundai Santa Fe, now all 4 of the cars I maintain (see below) have sumps larger than the 5 quarts you get in a jug. My cars take 5.7, 6.0, 6.4 and 7 quarts respectively. I think that's great, honestly. It should help the oil last longer. However, it is also a bit irritating that a single 5 quart jug won't do an oil change on any of my vehicles, which sometimes means mixing in a little different oil to bring it up to the right level (or buying a single quart of the same oil at an inflated price).

I guess my questions for this group are:
1) Are bigger sumps a trend? Or is this just me? I only have a sample size of 4. :)
2) Do you think it might be time for manufacturers to go to a 6 quart jug? Or would that be too heavy/unwieldy?

I'd be happy buying in quarts again if the price was the same, but I don't see that happening very often.

I think that most manufacturers are trying to get longer OCI's which means a larger sump.

GM has taken there newer V8's to 8 quarts. At least in the pickup trucks. Can't speak to their cars. None of my GM vehicles have 5 qt sumps. The wife's 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 is a 6 quart sump as is my 2015 2500 6.0. I will sometimes get oil in the 5 qt jugs when on sale. I just add what I need from the second one. Not that big of a deal.

Our 2017 Tahoe is 8 quarts whereas our 2010 GMC is 6 quarts … both 5.3L, albeit different Gen 5.3L

Nah, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But if you're like me and tend to buy with rebates, you end up with a bunch of 5 quart jugs of different brands, which means mixing brands to get to 6+ quarts. Again, not a huge deal...but I generally prefer to not mix if possible.

I posted a while back that gallons would not upset me (like HDEO) …
Have an 8, 6, and two barely over a gallon …

3 out of 4 only drain a gallon of ATF too … so migrating to Maxlife jugs as old stash is thinner …

RAM 1500 Ecodiesel 3.0L is 10.5qts

I use three 1 gallon jugs. My truck doesn't use oil so I use the remaining 1.5qt for OPE and topping off ours and friends and family's cars.

I see 5qt jugs of HDEO available elsewhere but even if they were available to me I don't think the math would work out much better.

My favorite feature is a jug with a clear sight gauge.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Our 2017 Tahoe is 8 quarts whereas our 2010 GMC is 6 quarts … both 5.3L, albeit different Gen 5.3L

Do they also spec different oil weights?

I feel that some of the increase in sump size corresponds to spec'ing thinner oil.

This is definitely the trend. Take Toyota's V6s for example: 1MZ/3MZ 3.0/3.3L both are 5qt sumps. Newer 2GR-FE V6 3.5L = 6.4qts

Corolla:
1ZZ-FE 1.8L = 3.9 qts
2ZR-FE 1.8L = 4.4 qts

Camry:
2AZ-FE 2.4L = 4.0 qts
2AR-FE 2.4L = 4.65 qts

I think a lot of this has been influenced by North American owners' habits as they're more likely to neglect oil changes.

I don't think oil manufs will ever go beyond 5qt jugs, valvoline already sells a 24qt "Bay Box" container but it's not targeted at end users.

It just increases the price of an oil change. I can see for the V8s. My 2004 Tundra now that I use the oversized 1-quart Wix 51515 filter, takes 7 quarts. Stock it takes 6.5 quarts.

Fewer people are buying cars and more are buying trucks and SUVs. But that still does not account for year to year increases in motor oil capacity for the same model. Then you also have to ask yourself why are they still using the same midget oil filters.

Originally Posted By: wdn
It just increases the price of an oil change.
Sure, but with less frequent oil changes now made possible, the overall maintenance cost should stay the same or decrease.

Quote:
Then you also have to ask yourself why are they still using the same midget oil filters.
I'm not seeing any evidence that engines are becoming more and more dirty, so why would larger filters be needed?

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
However, it is also a bit irritating that a single 5 quart jug won't do an oil change on any of my vehicles, which sometimes means mixing in a little different oil to bring it up to the right level (or buying a single quart of the same oil at an inflated price).
I haven't had a car that required 5 qt or less in ages, so that's kind of normal for me. I just buy an extra 5qt jug if I need to and keep it for top offs and to use up for the following oil change.

Quote:
1) Are bigger sumps a trend? Or is this just me? I only have a sample size of 4. :)

All three of our vehicles have 7 qt sumps. Not sure if it's a trend though.

Quote:
2) Do you think it might be time for manufacturers to go to a 6 quart jug?
They just need to add a "free 20% more" sticker like they do on soap/shampoo/lotion containers.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Behold the 10 quart jug. Coming to a store near you?
Yeah, Rotella has been available in 2.5 gal jugs down here for years. Chevron Delo and Mobil Delvac come in 2.5 gal jugs as well.

I never really thought about it much but my guess would be that it is two fold.

1) Car makers want to keep the oil change intervals long. With today's high power/displacement ratios you need the extra oil to ensure that the oil can hold up to long oci's.
2) There is a push to keep oil viscosities on the lower side. Having the larger sumps would also aid in keeping the oil cooler which would reduce the chance of the oil film breaking down under extremes.

Just my thoughts. Long oci's and keeping oil cooler would be the only reasons that would make sense to me.

I bought a Hertz Kia Soul and my girlfriend liked the process so well that she's buying a Rent-to-Own '17 Optima LX. Both cars had an extra quart or so in the pump. I checked in both cases, and no sign of frothing, bubbles or any indication that the crankshaft was doing any mischief. At first I thought it was sloppiness, but I'm beginning to think they realize that no one is checking the dipstick and want to make sure there's plenty of oil in there for the entire change interval. In the case of the Soul, there's no sign of any oil burning.

I'm beginning to think that a half quart or so over might be a good thing for most cars. Remember how many years I went in and yelled at oil change people and made them drain it down to the top hash. Perhaps I erred.

BTW-- Her cost is roughly four grand under the price at car lots and most one year old cars there are rental returns as well.

Yeah, my Santa Fe SE 3.3L V6 takes 6 qts, yet according to the owner's manual, the OCI is 3750 miles. That is fine by me. Given GDI issues, I like the extra oil onboard.

Most of my vehicles have 7QT sumps, so I typically buy seven 5QT jugs at a time on sale which gives me 5 OCIs. Individual quarts are a non-starter due to price.

The Powerstroke is a different story all together...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Behold the 10 quart jug. Coming to a store near you?
Yeah, Rotella has been available in 2.5 gal jugs down here for years. Chevron Delo and Mobil Delvac come in 2.5 gal jugs as well.

That is for diesels only which some typically take 12-40+ quarts so it makes sense.

Funny though, they having figured out pricing.. the price per quart is cheaper in gallons vs 2.5gal jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back