‘16 F-150 Ecoboost; Mobil 1 5W-30, 6.3k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my final oil on this “sheet”, I used up the Mobil 1 5W-30 in my stash. Oil ran from April 28, 2018-July 22, 2018. Premium fuel/octane and a Fram Ultra filter. Cycle includes a 3,600 mile road trip, the final 945 miles towing in 95-100 degree heat and getting 8mpg. I put the truck in cruise control and just let the turbo wail on the mountain passes. Very happy to not have any fuel dilution. Total of 181 hours on the oil, 34hrs @ idle (19%). Even with the hot towing, the OLM was only at 36%.

So this test concludes my Mobil 1-Schaeffer’s experiment. My wear metals were lower with Mobil 1, but the Schaeffer’s didn’t shear down as much. Generally speaking, I don’t see any issues with either oil. Well, other than the premium price that Scheffer’s commands.

For those interested in the other tests, here are my notes (read right to left on the test sheet)
- 1st: Mobil 1 5W-30 (Sept-Dec 2016) - Average fall winter driving with some idling. Did have multiple weekend road trips (200+ miles). Regular fuel/octane and MC filter (no issues). 161 hrs, 32 @ idle (20%;) OLM at 43%
- 2nd: Mobil 1 5W-30 (Jan-April 2017) - Lots of idling and a few weekend road trips (200+ miles). Premium fuel/octane and MC filter (no issues). 203 hrs, 61 @ idle (30%); OLM at 29%
- 3rd: Schaeffer 5W-30 Supreme 9000 (April 2017-Sept 2017). Easy use with limited idling. Multiple road trips, including one 1,100 weekend haul. Premium fuel/octane. Fram Ultra filter (no issues). 178 hrs, 25 @ idle (14%); OLM at 39%
- 4th: Schaeffer 5W-30 Supreme 9000 (Sept 2017-Jan 2018). Another average fall winter driving routine with plenty of idling. One 500+ mile road trip. Regular fuel/octane and a MC filter (torn!). 192 hrs, 57 @ idle (30%); OLM at 37%. Note: UOA for this cycle found fuel dilution but no wear issues.
- 5th: Schaeffer 5W-30 Supreme 9000 (Jan 2018-April 2018) - Average use spring. A few 100m+ road trips, but lots of idling. Standard fuel/octane. MC filter (no issues). 4,598 miles, 198hrs, 71hrs @ idle (36%), OLM at 36%

Last edited by a moderator:
8 mpgs you were working her pretty hard !Do you have oil consumption ? The manual mentions to lower the oil change interval when towing.

Dang it, I phat-fingered the title...should be 6,356 miles on the last OCI.

Anyway...yeah the 8mpgs was interesting. No oil consumption. I just ran her down the road at 70mph. It was my first tow with the truck, so I wanted to see how it could handle it. Temps were fine, so I was happy.

Good news is the OLM will automatically adjust for the rough driving conditions. At least, that’s what my manual suggests.

Last edited:
You averaged Fe 3.6ppm/1k miles; totally normal and pretty decent for a 3.5EB.
Other wear metals are negligible and not worthy of discussion.
Contaminants well controlled.

Nothing but desirable "normal" here.

PS - I'll update the thread title to have the correct mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: buster
I would just add that Mobil 1 is going to be better for your turbo, so that may be something you want to consider.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...charged-engines
Marketing !!!
The Turbos are water cooled. OTR semis and heavy equipment seem to do fine with "Conventional" oil with their turbos
I have no horse in the race, but considering the power density of some of these machines, I would not run a conventional oil in it.

I'm starting to warm up to EcoBoosts - good UOAs on "normal" synthetic oil even when used for its intended purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back