Peak tutoral on radiator flushing is WRONG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is

https://peakauto.com/diy-hub/antifreeze/

After the cleaner there are 3 plain water flushes. So the system is 100% water at this point. Draining the radiator leaves a lot of pure water in the system. Then they filled it with 50 % pre-diluted coolant, resulting in a weak mix. Very weak. Will freeze and not have proper coolant protection.

the proper procedure is read the owners manual for cooling system capacity. If it 18 quarts, divide by 2 to get 9 quarts. This is how much pure coolant you add. If you can not get that much in, then you drain the overflow tank and fill it with the balance.

Inexcusable.

And the contact us link on the peak site does not work.

Rod

That is why I refuse to use 50/50. Maybe on a newer car just doing a drain and fill with factory coolant but that’s it. I just did a distilled water flush on the Buick. I made sure not to buy 50/50 dexcool. By the way, I contacted valvoline about their Asian coolants only being 50/50. They said it was fine to flush and use 50/50 even though there is pure water in the block. I just told them I wouldn’t be purchasing their antifreeze. They also told me I could use dexcool in my Mazda.

When I flush the radiator on my truck I do the same with doing the rinses with tap water. I add 50/50 coolant that I diluted myself. After I run the engine for a trip to town and back the leftover water and antifreeze is mixed. When I test the concentration it shows over 50% concentration.

I blame that on a faulty tester but point is it's not weak, plus if memory serves correctly a 50/50 mix is good to -35 F.

this can not be true unless ALL the flush water drained out. I suppose there are cars where that happens, I have never owned one. Your description violates the laws of physics, and no one does that.

Sorry. Either you did a poor flush, or you have weak antifreeze.

Rod

When I flush the Subaru, I pull the thermostat housing. Since it's conveniently located on the very bottom of the engine, it is nearly a complete drain. Then 50/50 antifreeze ends up really close to 50/50. It's a great design.

My customers don't understand this at all. They refuse to buy pure antifreeze,they only buy 50/50 which they add to the existing water and end up with only 25% antifreeze.

On the second flush or third flush i measure how much i have to add to get the system filled. Subtract that from the published capacity and you know how much remains after draining. Then you know how much straight coolant to add to get to 50/50.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
this can not be true unless ALL the flush water drained out. I suppose there are cars where that happens, I have never owned one. Your description violates the laws of physics, and no one does that.

Sorry. Either you did a poor flush, or you have weak antifreeze.

Rod

Most popular vehicle sold in the US is the Ford F-150. My owners manual for my 03 says the coolant capacity is around 25 quarts. When I changed it years ago, I used just shy of 4 gallons, so 19 quarts, leaving 5 quarts of water in the block after the flush. Half of 19 is 9.5 plus 5 quarts of water left over gives a 58/42 water/coolant mix.

According to a chart for Zerex G-05 a 40% coolant concentration is good to -15 F. I've had it colder than that and don't have a problem.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
My owners manual for my 03 says the coolant capacity is around 25 quarts. When I changed it years ago, I used just shy of 4 gallons, so 19 quarts, leaving 5 quarts of water in the block after the flush.

Just shy of 4 gallons would be about 15 quarts, leaving 10 quarts (2.5 gallons) of water.

For simple rad d&f, should have stopped before adding the cleaner, just filled using the 50/50 mix. Once he added the cleaner and circulated, full strength AF then required and as noted fill to half system capacity with AF and top with distilled. I likely would have used distilled water for complete flush series, at least last two flushes. Looks like Joe Thomas needs someone to inform him why his procedure is incorrect, and Peak should take it down.

As for contact, don't know about now but in past always been responsive to my inquiries using that contact method.

To Sayjac: You said, "As for contact, don't know about now but in past always been responsive to my inquiries using that contact method."

You're right but the OP's communication wasn't in the "page of responses" given to the monkey to reference. Also, since his communication was a criticism/correction he probably erased it to avoid being the bearer of bad news.

My biggest argument with 50/50 premix antifreeze, is it's a total rip off when compared to the full concentrate. I can't believe anyone would be foolish enough to buy it. But they line up to. 50/50 premix of standard Prestone runs $8.88 at Wal-Mart. While the 100% concentrate is only $10.87. Or just $1.99 more for twice as much pure antifreeze.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Extended-Life-Prediluted-Antifreeze-Coolant/16879961

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Extended-Life-Antifreeze-Coolant-1-Gallon/16879960

Originally Posted By: billt460
My biggest argument with 50/50 premix antifreeze, is it's a total rip off when compared to the full concentrate. I can't believe anyone would be foolish enough to buy it. But they line up to. 50/50 premix of standard Prestone runs $8.88 at Wal-Mart. While the 100% concentrate is only $10.87. Or just $1.99 more for twice as much pure antifreeze.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Extended-Life-Prediluted-Antifreeze-Coolant/16879961

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Extended-Life-Antifreeze-Coolant-1-Gallon/16879960

Never seen 100% here and I doubt its available.

You guys and your distilled water. Can you drink your tap water? If yes, then it is perfectly fine for using as coolant. I back flush with a tee in a htr hose with a garden hose attached. When I like the water coming out, I shut off the water and open the block drain. When it stops draining, I close up everything and start adding 100% coolant. I test until 3 balls float. There is always water left,even after block drain. Probably you could use compressed air to get more water out, but to what point? I always have 2 jugs of 50/50 mixd for top offs.

Quote:
You guys and your distilled water....

The "you guys" would include many vehicle manufacturer owners manuals and the AF makers themselves that recommend distilled water, and use deionized/(distilled) water in their 50/50 premix AFs. Seems they might know something about it.

Before aluminum blocks and heads I used to use a flushing tee with tap water. Now distilled water only, it's inexpensive and readily available. Cheap insurance imo to maintain the recommended long service interval AFs.

That said, if the local tap water is relatively soft, ie., low in mineral content, suppose it could be ok as an alternative. For the reasons given, just not for me.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
That said, if the local tap water is relatively soft, ie., low in mineral content, suppose it could be ok as an alternative. For the reasons given, just not for me.

Yep, there's no point in loading up the chelation agents with hard water. When I lived in the City of Milwaukee the tap water from Lake Michigan was extremely soft and you could use it for anything including for a battery. But here in the suburbs where it comes from a well it's an entirely different situation.

Being able to safely drink it is in many ways not related to whether it is suitable for use in a cooling system.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I am cheap . That is precisely why ( or one of the reasons ) I refuse to buy 50/50 coolant . High price for 1/2 gallon of water .

Originally Posted By: andyd
You guys and your distilled water. Can you drink your tap water? If yes, then it is perfectly fine for using as coolant. I back flush with a tee in a htr hose with a garden hose attached. When I like the water coming out, I shut off the water and open the block drain. When it stops draining, I close up everything and start adding 100% coolant. I test until 3 balls float. There is always water left,even after block drain. Probably you could use compressed air to get more water out, but to what point? I always have 2 jugs of 50/50 mixd for top offs.

Evidently , you have never experienced our VERY HARD tap water . I use purified water I buy by the gallon at Watermill Express . To top off my car battery . I top off coolant with 100% coolant .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back