Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 Conventional: '07 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mileage #s are wrong due to my error. All new timing chains, cam sprockets, idler sprocket and bushing, crank sprocket and bushing, guiderails, and tensioners went in at 181,854 miles along with this fill of conventional Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 and Toyota oil filter. Therefore, miles on this OCI were 2,767, primarily highway use.

Vehicle history: bought cheap at 164K miles last year from original owner, chronic check engine light with error code P0016 due to elongated #1 chain caused by poor maintenance, average 22K mile OCIs.

Not shocked at the increase in iron & copper with all the new metal components, and silicon is likely from the huge front timing cover which uses form in place gasket (FIPG) sealant in lieu of an actual gasket...nearly 1/2 can of Permatex Gray Right Stuff to lay the 3mm-wide beads in accordance with the shop manual.

Interestingly hefty shot of Calcium in this oil. It had Rotella T6 0W-40 from March 18th until the timing chain kit went in.

It's been refilled with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10W-30 and will get a Blackstone report when changed.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
22k oci's and probably bulk quality oil.

Several were from a place named "Mister Good Lube" according to CarFax, and the occasional dealership visit.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Hmmm, Conventional PHM 5W30. I currently have this exact oil in the Firebird FORMULA in my signature.

It's my first time running this particular flavor, and I can't complain. Good additive package, no oil consumption during the short interval, and the engine was quiet cold and hot. If PZ Platinum wasn't such a good deal, I'd run this oil every time.

Yeah, I like it as well. However this engine has some small leaks and I've been running HM oils for several years now. They've helped but have not stopped the leaks. My burning has gone though and I never have to add makeup oil. So, I'm assuming it was burning more than it was leaking but, nothing I could ever see out the tailpipe.

bought mine 120k private one owner and he to was a quick lube guy but also a 3k guy..no evidence of any trouble @140k, been on the M1 0/40 but going to use my stash of PP 5/30 dexos cause it's there...I'd go right back to the M1 0/40 otherwise.

Last edited:
have you gone through the rest of the 4Runner yet? I had all the pumpkins and trans fluids replaced and then the bushings and links and shocks (bilstein 5100) but go a step at a time lest you find a deal killer problem..it is nice to know the genetics are solid on these.

have you gone through the rest of the 4Runner yet? I had all the pumpkins and trans fluids replaced and then the bushings and links and shocks (bilstein 5100) but go a step at a time lest you find a deal killer problem..it is nice to know the genetics are solid on these.

Yup, it's been an ongoing leisure time project since last year...timing chains and kit were the grand finale. I had to add a few special tools and the shop manual set, otherwise it's been just parts and time turning wrenches.

Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 in the rear diff. Front diff and transfer case were amber brown, looks like the guy didn't use 4WD much. New front wheel bearings & hubs, junkyard CV axles (torn inner boots both sides), NAPA Eclipse front & rear calipers, Raybestos RPT coated rotors, Toyota pads, Moog swaybar links & bushings...and so on.

We took it to Assateague National Park last week, 21 MPG loaded with kids and gear with no issues. Pic below:

good color too.

Thanks, dark-gray or white were my preference but any color would have done except for red.

I wound up with the red one...

And thanks for posting, reminded me to start the TC-W3 640:1 regimen now that the engine is back together. Picked up two 16oz bottles of Quicksilver TC-W3 at WalMart and mixed at 1oz:5gal. Nice long road trip this weekend at 390 miles round trip, we'll see if there are any noticeable effects.

Does it do anything for your 4Runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back