STP Was dad right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago my dad had a rather large and heavy 35 foot travel trailer that was around 9,000 pounds empty. His first tow vehicle was a late 1960's Ford LTD station wagon with a 390 V8 and later he purchased the same wagon with a 429 V8. When he would change the oil he used Oilzum 10w40 (popular in Massachusetts) and he would add one can of STP oil treatment as he put it "when towing I don't want my 10w40 falling out of grade" so I was wondering back then when 10w40 was suspect of falling out of grade was he correct in adding the STP?

I am not saying that STP is something anyone should use in today's cars and trucks since most oils seem to stay in grade but back in the 1960's and 1970's when oil was not the best maybe my father was correct?

Your dad didn't know and you won't know either unless you perform analysis under each condition with all other variables held constant.

There are no other data based methods to prove/disprove what you are asking.

Good luck with that.

Dad knows best, good on him and STP
thumbsup2.gif

Interesting … growing up my neighbor towed a large TT with big block Pontiac wagons ...
(that driveway still has notches the equalizer hitch cut coming over the hump) …
Both him and my dad did STP in Amalie SAE 30 …

STP made Andy Granatelli, (Mr. 500), both rich and fat. He made the product a household name for decades. He was a marketing genius, and not only with STP. Granatelli bought a chain automotive tune up franchise called Tune Up Masters in 1976 for $300,000. He sold it for $60 million in 1986, 10 years later.

The concept still exists. Guys are going to great lengths to find higher viscosity oils with the lowest viscosity breakdown possible. Lot’s of folk’s switch to 10W40 for the summer towing season.

Maybe STP’s advertising campaign is weaker now but you can still buy it everywhere. Your dad was probably right.

Never used STP, quick google search seems to indicate the main ingredient is zinc-ZDDP. Can't hurt I guess unless you have a sensitive catalytic converter.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Your dad didn't know and you won't know either unless you perform analysis under each condition with all other variables held constant.

There are no other data based methods to prove/disprove what you are asking.

Good luck with that.
It's pretty easy to tell if your oil has thinned if you have an oil pressure gauge. Those old timers were typically more in tune with their vehicles back then when you had to work on them all the time.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Those old timers were typically more in tune with their vehicles back then when you had to work on them all the time.
Those old timers relied on rumors, innuendo, and hunches.
The good old days really weren't.
You can do it much better today if you want to.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: hatt
Those old timers were typically more in tune with their vehicles back then when you had to work on them all the time.
Those old timers relied on rumors, innuendo, and hunches.
The good old days really weren't.
You can do it much better today if you want to.
They did what worked for them with what they had. It's easy to keep a vehicle running well these days. Change the oil every 10k and plugs maybe every 100k and the engine will go for two decades.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Interesting … growing up my neighbor towed a large TT with big block Pontiac wagons ...
(that driveway still has notches the equalizer hitch cut coming over the hump) …
No such thing as a Big Block Pontiac. Carry on

Originally Posted By: WiskyBadger
Originally Posted By: 4WD
No such thing as a Big Block Pontiac. Carry on

Ok, they had 400 CID to 455 CID mini blocks … carry off …

The oil available in the 1970's when I started driving my first cars was far different than what is available today. I'd say from experience that "good" oils didn't start to arrive in the market until sometime in the mid to late 80's, although you could see advanced oils show signs of performance in the late 70's, it was mostly along the line of the first decent 5W~30's versus 10W-30. I expect that the products available in the 60's were even more basic as far as multigrade VI improvers go.

STP has a bad rap, some of it deserved. But with high wear engines it actually did help keep them on the road at a time when 100,000 miles was considered the life of an engine; getting 120~ or 130~ was considered a bonus. As I understand it (anyone with better information feel free to chime in) STP is mostly VI improvers skewed towards a high SAE rated viscosity ... maybe 50 or even 60 weight. It looked like molasses out of the can and even after it was diluted in the oil you could always tell it was there because it created a sticky finger feel off the dipstick, so obviously it's sticking to metal.

The poster who said it was ZDDP heavy doesn't surprise me if true. Catalytic converters and zinc was not an issue in those days, even when they became more common in vehicles prior to perhaps the turn of the century.

Modern oils don't need the help. But the 351 and 429 are not modern motors. Only a cam change and a compression ratio adjustment away from being in a bus or a passenger car (performance cars would have more internal changes, but your sedan or wagon, not so much, and in performance applications they didn't last as long as the more mundane sedan and truck variants).

Did adding STP hurt longevity? I never saw any evidence that it did. I've never added it to one of my vehicles, but it was a common practice to find it in the high mileage cars high school students could afford to drive back then, and I've pulled a lot of dipsticks (worked at a full-service station all through high school) and it was pretty common to find evidence it was in motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back