Your Favorite Oil.... give us your Top 3.... Everyone Play!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been around for years with you guys and Bob.... but there have been a lot of changes in the lubrication industry. I honestly had my Top 3 list nailed solid a few years ago. Now we have blenders building oils for Catalytic Converters and Particulate Traps and Environmental Issues, etc... But in 2018, what is your favorite and what have you landed on? Your choices will reveal your buying habits.... Like... you have no problem spending $20 a quart. You really care about JASO MA2 rating. You follow the owners manual. You love the cheap stuff from WalMart. Thats all OK..... Just list your favorite 3.

Please play this little game..... as it will be very interesting for all of us that hang out here.

Here are the rules.... Fill out the prompts below and then list your Favorite 3 oils in the bike you ride the most often. Oil must be currently available for purchase on store shelves or your supplier. (Yeah, I have a favorite oil from 2012, but it doesn't get to play in this game.) By the way, if you only have one favorite and you are only buying one oil right now..... just list one oil.

Year:
Make:
Model:
Miles:
Shared Sump: YES or NO
Typical OCI:

#1......
Oil Brand:
Oil Viscosity:

#2......
Oil Brand:
Oil Viscosity:

#3......
Oil Brand:
Oil Viscosity:

Thoughts and comments:

If you have recently posted an oil test (2017-18 only) from your Top 3, share your URL:

Year: 2005
Make: BMW
Model: R1200GS
Miles: 30k
Shared Sump: NO
Typical OCI: 5k

#1......
Oil Brand: Walmart/SuperTech
Oil Viscosity: 15w40

#2......
Oil Brand: blah...blah....blah.... just about any HDEO, this bike likes
Oil Viscosity:

#3......
Oil Brand:
Oil Viscosity:

Thoughts and comments: Remember, this bike does not share a sump and has a dry clutch. 75/140 synthetic goes in my tranny.

If you have recently posted an oil test (2017-18 only) from your Top 3, share your URL: None

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Sounds like data mining for a project.

It is.... selfishly just for me. But I thought everyone would benefit. Honestly, I want to see how folks respond for shared sump high compression engines.

There is nothing commercial about this.......

And I will add another.......

Year: 2002
Make: Yamaha
Model: WR426
Miles: less than 3k
Shared Sump: YES
Typical OCI: 1.6 quarts.....so every 500 miles or so

#1......
Oil Brand: Shell/Rotella
Oil Viscosity: 15w40 Conventional

#2......
Oil Brand: None other....
Oil Viscosity:

#3...... None other....
Oil Brand:
Oil Viscosity:

Thoughts and comments: Shell/Rotella 15w40 Conventional..... because I have a Recluse Clutch and that is Manufacturer recommendations.

If you have recently posted an oil test (2017-18 only) from your Top 3, share your URL:

Originally Posted By: BigJohn

It is.... selfishly just for me. But I thought everyone would benefit. Honestly, I want to see how folks respond for shared sump high compression engines.

My friend is a Factory Rep for Royal/Monarch Oil out Oklahoma. They blend two motorcycle oils, a 10w40 and a 15w50....both synthetic with a nice amount of POA. 95% of their oil sales are in Mexico and south America and the 15w50 outsells the 10w40 four to one.

^ From a different thread.

Bike info: 1994 Honda Shadow VT1100, ~10,600 miles on bike (shared sump).
OCI for past changes was 2500 miles, but am debating going to an annual change (~4000 miles)

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Cheap
Cheaper
Cheapest that meets the spec!!!!

Pretty much same for me. I have no "favorite" brand or oil.

I am a HDEO believer in bikes. If is states JASO-MA on the bottle, great, but not a requirement for me.
Conventional, blend or syn does not matter.
xw-40 for water cooled, xw-50 for air cooled.

My bike (water cooled) will get whatever the cheapest xw-40 HDEO oil is that I find (not opposed to a cheap MC oil either).
First change was with Supertech 15w-40.
Current (and next 6-7 changes) is Peak 15w-40 Syn Blend.
Why, because AAP had it on clearance (average price was $0.68/qt).

If I could get Royal/Monarch oil for

The only one.
thumbsup2.gif

Year:2007
Make:Harley
Model:Dyna Street Bob
Miles:10,000+
Shared Sump: NO
Typical OCI: 2,500 miles on the oil, 5,000 on the filter.

#1: Valvoline VR1 20W-50 racing oil.
#2: Mobil-1 20W-50 motorcycle oil
#3: Valvoline 20W-50 syn.

This bike does a lot of short trips of about 10-20 miles at a time to run errands. Every now and then I'll ride around in Richmond and put 100 miles on the bike. I really don't ride on my bad back days much anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

My friend is a Factory Rep for Royal/Monarch Oil out Oklahoma. They blend two motorcycle oils, a 10w40 and a 15w50....both synthetic with a nice amount of POA. 95% of their oil sales are in Mexico and south America and the 15w50 outsells the 10w40 four to one.

^ From a different thread.

Ok... fair enough. I did some oil testing for them back in 2014-15. Haven't been involved with them since. Haven't used their oil since...... And I an not associated with any lubrication company on the planet or Mars.

Everyone comments on this oil and that oil..... but I am interested in what folks are really pouring in the their machines that they spent their hard earned dollar on.

But seriously, if you don't want to play, just butt out of the thread and then kindly don't read anyone's replies.

Been using Valvoline 10W-4O 4-stroke M/C oil lately. No complaints, and the price is right.

my water cooled Honda ATV's 5/40 Delvac1 CJ

air cooled 15/40 CJ

CJ getting harder to find though...hoping CK proves as good.

Year: 2007
Make: Yamaha
Model: FZ1
Miles: 12,500
Shared Sump: YES
Typical OCI: 3000 miles or 5 track days

#1......
Oil Brand: Shell Rotella T4
Oil Viscosity: 15W40

#2......
Oil Brand: Valvoline Motorcycle Oil
Oil Viscosity: 10W40

#3......
Oil Brand: Repsol Racing
Oil Viscosity: 10W50

Thoughts and comments: I have a large stash of the Repsol racing oil that I got on clearance. I feel better running the thicker viscosity synthetic oil during hot track days, but would use Rotella in a heart beat and maybe just change a little more frequently.

Mystik 15w50 Jt8 Diesel oil (a Citgo product) as recommended by the manufacturer of my bike. (if I dont use the bike makers oil)

I only use the above as no other 50 weight diesel oil on the USA market as far as I know and I have posted excellent UOAs on it in the past.

If I didnt have a bike that required diesel oil I would choose Valvoline or Castrol motorcycle oil conventional or syn, doesnt matter.

Buying expensive boutique oils is NOT going to make your engine last longer and is not going to make up for the failings of the engine maker.
Its the design of the engine NOT the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Buying expensive boutique oils is NOT going to make your engine last longer and is not going to make up for the failings of the engine maker.
Its the design of the engine NOT the oil.

In some situations the oil can make a difference....I have vintage Triumph race bikes and know a respected man who works on the very expensive old Vincent V twins...Modern high ZDDP synthetic oil like Mobil 1 V twin greatly reduce cam and lifter wear compared to high ZDDP conventional oil in these engines that have valve train design short comings..Mobil 1 is not a boutique oil but you get the idea that an oil can make a difference ....In my Triumphs I was using Redline but now use less expensive Valvoline VR1 full synthetic....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back