floor jack recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think you can go wrong with Harbor Freight jacks. They're quality items, and mine is going strong for over 4 years now, having lifted everything I've ever slid it under. Doesn't leak a drop.

Yep, from the guy who has a ton of Snap-On tools, the HF floor jacks are hard to beat.
I especially like the small aluminum model, as I can easily throw it in the pickup bed or car trunk.
I have 3...
I also have the aluminum one form Costco; dang thing is the worst jack I have (5 total).
It leaks...

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
thanks on the info VW, how is the handle realease? easy to let down the car?

I've got the steel low-pro 3 ton and I find it easy to control, as long as you don't Monkey tight the handle before lifting. Gently snug is all it needs.

I'm tempted to get one of the quick 1.5 ton ones. I have a steel one that slowly leaks down that I have been leaving in the trunk of one car, along with boards. Why I don't know, too lazy to put in the shed I guess, although now the shed is gone and I don't have any other place to store.

Anyhow: do the handles on these HF ones come off easily? I know, I know, I can just go and look. But the small steel one I have been using for 15 years has a detachable handle.

i can't say on the harbor freight ones, but i picked up an aluminum 1.5 ton at a TSC store and it has an easily detachable handle via a push button and pull apart type.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
i can't say on the harbor freight ones, but i picked up an aluminum 1.5 ton at a TSC store and it has an easily detachable handle via a push button and pull apart type.
Cool. Next time I'm over there I'll give a good look-see and maybe get that. Steel is kinda heavy and all.

I used to collect floor jacks, I have a Hein Werner WS, O Boy, HW93642 and an AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ. I also have a set of HW jack stands.

If you do some research, Snap-On was selling the same jack that HF was and sued them because their advertising basically said they were the same jack. This was a few years ago, but the tool truck jacks are going to be the same offshore models that are sold at HF, but with different paint/markings and a tool truck warranty.

If you need something now, go to HF. You could rebuild your old one, it probably is worth rebuilding and the parts exist for it. If you want US made, Milwaukee Hydraulic is pretty much the only new option. I got lucky, as my HW93642 was one of the last US made Hein Werners. I still had to make a four hour round trip to get it. It is a beastly jack, even in offshore form. Hein Werner bought Walker and stopped making their own jack designs and switched to the Walker design. That's a great, tough jack that can still be bought new. Decide now if you want a low profile, my AC is awesome when it works: You can jack cars from the subframe or rear axle and not run into the problem of having to lift where you would ideally put your jack stand. If you have an uneven driveway/work area a low profile jack might give you trouble. My driveway is like a rollercoaster and my AC jack is obviously meant for a euro style "workshop" or smooth garage floor.

I love floor jacks, the old ones are so cool. You should ask over on the Garage Journal they have a "Trav" over there but for floor jacks! Not sure if he is still active, though.

supton,

i only use the aluminum for lighter items like mowers and trailers. i have used it on the rear end of a couple of my vehicles but i don't like using it under the front with the engines.

the aluminum looks like it could give. ( need a hard hat icon)

Last edited:
I have only owned HF jacks. They work but one thing I noticed with both of them is they bind. The arm rubs on the side of the jack frame when its all the way down. Not sure whats going on there.

Apparently you guys got all the good hf jacks. I spent 150 on one and it failed the third time I used it, just past the extended warranty. I'm using a craftsman aluminum jack, two speed. It's great.

I have HF 3 ton, Craftsman 3 ton. Both 2 years old, Both under $100. more times than not I reach for the Craftsman. Because the HF seems kind of tight to release under heavy load of the truck. Like its binding. Craftsman also rolls around better.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
If you do some research, Snap-On was selling the same jack that HF was and sued them because their advertising basically said they were the same jack. This was a few years ago, but the tool truck jacks are going to be the same offshore models that are sold at HF, but with different paint/markings and a tool truck warranty.

HF Daytona

Snap-On FJ300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back