General question about serpentine belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

While perusing Rockauto for a replacement serpentine belt for my daughters 2006 Ford Focus, I noticed that there are many different length belts listed for this application....Federal (non California) emissions with A/C. They range from 1219mm to 1233mm. I know that 12mm is not a big difference (in a belt that's over 30 inches long) and I'm sure the tensioner can make up the difference without a problem but I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the longer ones since I'm sure the OE has stretched a little in 108K miles.

I don't plan on changing the tensioner or idler so I'm leaning toward a slightly looser fitting belt to minimize strain on those parts. The Continental Elite (former Gatorback) is one of the slightly longer belts and I'm leaning towards getting it.

Is my reasoning sound?

Thanks.

Sometimes it is the wise thing to go to the dealer with the serial number and get the proper belt the first time.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Sometimes it is the wise thing to go to the dealer with the serial number and get the proper belt the first time.

I agree. Do it right the first time.

Fellow BITOGer bdcardinal ran my VIN and came up with a Motorcraft belt that claims to be 1219mm...."alternate belts" listed (with Motorcraft part #s) range from 2219 to 2233 as I've stated previously. (I previously erred by stating 1219mm to 1233mm)

PS: In my original post I stated that the OE belt was "over 30 inches" while in reality it's over 87 inches...

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis

I agree. Do it right the first time.

I think that it 'can be done right' without using a Motorcraft belt. In fact, I think the Conti is probably a better belt.

One interesting thing that I just noticed by accident* on RA is that the 2005 and 2007 Focus 2.0 list a Conti 875 (2222mm) while the 2006 list the 878 (2233mm)....the 3 years use the same belt in all other brands...strange.

* I accidently put 2005 instead of 2006 while re-checking....I then checked the 2007 and it's the same listing as the 2005...very strange.

Conti's website lists the 878 for my application (by VIN)....I'm assuming that a few MMs don't matter because of the tensioner.

I'll probably just order a Dayco that crosses to the OE belt...even it is slightly longer.
I'm realizing that some manufacterurs are using outer circumference while others are using inner.

Thanks.

After so many years, the so-called "OEM" belts are more likely re-labeled aftermarket belts produced by Dayco, Continental, Gates, etc.

What failures have you experienced from belt tension such that you're worried about an OE application being too much?

On a previous vehicle, I had some aftermarket electrical stuff that necessitated I keep the belt RIDICULOUSLY tight. Anything but a kevlar belt would stretch a few inches and I'd be replacing it after 1500 miles. Yet even with that, I never experienced any failures

If it were me pbm I would get the belt from the dealer. I had my Nissan OEM belt last 170k miles before I changed it. I felt like it was worth paying the extra $18-20 for the OEM belt. I have heard the OEM belt is actually built a bit better than the aftermarket belts. I don't know if that is the case. But if my OEM belt lasted 170k miles with no issues than for the extra 18-20 dollars it was worth it. Just my idea about this. Hope that you are doing good.

Originally Posted By: pbm
While perusing Rockauto for a replacement serpentine belt for my daughters 2006 Ford Focus, I noticed that there are many different length belts listed for this application....Federal (non California) emissions with A/C. They range from 1219mm to 1233mm. I know that 12mm is not a big difference (in a belt that's over 30 inches long) and I'm sure the tensioner can make up the difference without a problem but I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the longer ones since I'm sure the OE has stretched a little in 108K miles.

I don't plan on changing the tensioner or idler so I'm leaning toward a slightly looser fitting belt to minimize strain on those parts. The Continental Elite (former Gatorback) is one of the slightly longer belts and I'm leaning towards getting it.

Is my reasoning sound?

Thanks.

All I can add is the Dayco Poly W belts are sized well and run quiet. Anything resembling the old Gatorback tend to whine, I tried them a few times and was not very impressed with them.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Fellow BITOGer bdcardinal ran my VIN and came up with a Motorcraft belt that claims to be 1219mm...."alternate belts" listed (with Motorcraft part #s) range from 2219 to 2233 as I've stated previously. (I previously erred by stating 1219mm to 1233mm)

PS: In my original post I stated that the OE belt was "over 30 inches" while in reality it's over 87 inches...
BD is one of the forums great assets as is Trav.

MOST of the time it is the wisest thing to the dealer (or reliable on-line) with the VIN which will give you the OEM part number and get the proper belt the first time.

Last edited:
I second calling the dealer and figuring out which one is the right length based on your VIN number, then order a belt from rock auto of equivalent size.

I would order a Gates brand belt. I like Gates products (belts, hoses, tensioners, etc.)

If you are doing the belt, you may as well change the idler, tensioner and pulley while your there and do it right the first time. Buy once cry once!
wink.gif

If you continue to work on this vehicle and don't want to keep calling the dealer, I would HIGHLY recommend investing a $20 bill in a Chilton or Haynes manual if you dont already have one. That vehicle is old enough to where you should be able to find hardcopy manuals and still turn wrenches on the majority of that entire vehicle.

Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

A belt that is too lose can vibrate and actually increase stress on components. It also can slip, over heat the pulley and the drive end of what it is driving, and shorten it's life too. The correct length is the way to go.

Rod

I would use the exact same length because:

1) you are more likely to get the same OEM part
2) you have less chance of running out of room for adjustment when installing
3) it shows you the manufacturer has done the homework to make the right belt, instead of finding something "close enough" and say it is good enough for your application. (see 1)

Thanks for all the informative replies....I'll stick with a Dayco or Gates that crosses to the OE....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back