Toyota 4.0L v-6, Mobil 1 AP, 20k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one really good thing about this report is the oil showed no signs of oxidation. Viscosity remains very stable.

That is a key attribute to this oil and other good synthetics designed for longer drains.

Originally Posted By: Bwalker
Any comments as to why the bearing metal numbers were all good given the silica?
Im using a Fumoto valve for a drain plug. Is it possible the silica, iron and aluminium came from dirt in the Fumoto outlet? The dirt is blood red at work so I am betting the iron content is high and aluminium is a common element in certain soils.

That's a sharp observation and is very probable; dust does swirl around down there...bet your oil pan and undercarriage have a coating of dust.

Its no just coated with dust. Its got a thick coating of mud and dirt we call gumbo. The roads go from real disty to a muddy quagmire with the slightest amount of rain.

The sample was taken today. Prior to sampling I pressure was the whole under carriage and cleaned out the Fumoto with brake cleaner and Q-Tips. I then drained a half quart of oil prior to taking sample. These measures should rule out sample contamination.

Any comments as to why the bearing metal numbers were all good given the silica?
Im using a Fumoto valve for a drain plug. Is it possible the silica, iron and aluminium came from dirt in the Fumoto outlet? The dirt is blood red at work so I am betting the iron content is high and aluminium is a common element in certain soils.

The Fe and Al could have also infiltrated the filter system with the silica as dust and thus being suspended/dissolved in the oil shown up in the testing as contamination as would wear metals-I’d bet its a combination of both wear and contamination showing up with those high numbers.

I have to laugh at the M1 detractors commenting on this thread that M1 failed again or that this is evidence of M1’s shortcomings. With this type of outside contamination from the air filter system, the performance of M1 should be considered exemplary or at the minimum not blamed for the apparent wear and “failure” for which it wouldn’t seem that it logically had anything to do with.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Ahhh the gumbo mud...hate it, used to get all in the dogs' paws...

Used to get in my Super Swamper TSL’s too - then departed 30’ in the air
wink.gif

I plan to dump this fill with the thought that its carryover from the last fill.
I also found that the fresh air pump on this engine has a very [censored] filter set up that leaks a significant amount of un filtered air. This air dumps into the exhaust manifolds, but I cant help but wonder if some un filtered air isnt making it back into the intake manifold via the EGR valve. At any rate I round filed the OEM fresh air filter and installed a foam Uni brand filter on the fresh air intake. This should rule that out as a cause.
I also plan to switch to a fram ultra oil filter to try and drop the insolubles down.
S

Last edited:
Here is my latest UOA. Thoughts?

Yes, please stop holding your phone sideways. Hold it lengthwise.

Thats pretty darn impressive to me
smile.gif

Keep on keepin on sir

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Wear metals suck but go for 2000 to 3000 mile. LOL

Read the intelligent post before you … and lay your great wisdom on us …

Interesting reports. To me it doesn't seem like the oil/OCI is causing the high wear metals since the physical specs look fine. At 10k the metals are roughly half of 20k.

Not sure what I can do more to control silica ingestion. Might just go to a qaulity conventional oil at 5k OCI.

Originally Posted by Bwalker
Not sure what I can do more to control silica ingestion. Might just go to a qaulity conventional oil at 5k OCI.

Do you find yourself leading a pack or driving behind a bunch of people?

If you don't have a snorkel, it's time to get one, if you have one, it's time to get an enginair 4-150/465 centrifugal pre-filter.

Fram filters, btw, are not as good in terms of filtration for both air intake and oil vs oem. I'd just stick w/ Toyota paper 90915-YZZD3 (more capacity over YZZD1) or 90915-20004 if you can even find them (Toyota 2JZGTE Supra Filter w/ Foam Depth Media).

But yeah, good call on the uni filter mod, I need to do that too since I'm always offroad. I just wish they routed the air pump intake into the cabin instead. Easiest way to get filtered air.

Originally Posted by kalieaire
Fram filters, btw, are not as good in terms of filtration for both air intake and oil vs oem. I'd just stick w/ Toyota paper 90915-YZZD3 (more capacity over YZZD1) or 90915-20004 if you can even find them (Toyota 2JZGTE Supra Filter w/ Foam Depth Media)..

Interesting, where have you seen efficiency numbers for air filters?

And how are you comparing Toyota OEM filters to Fram? Especially those old foam ones, where have you seen filtering specs for those?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back