Buy at a meat market or grocery store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been buying meat from a meat store for a while now and can definitely tell a quality/taste difference. The prices are often close but sometimes higher but we think they are worth it and the extra trip.

How about you guys?

I shop for my mom once a week and discovered this great meat market that also has the best bakery in the back. So pick up some mini-kaiser buns and bread. The bread is always warm and sometimes fresh out of the oven. Prices are lower than the preservative-full stuff at the other stores. Places is a little farther away but mostly all hwy. Which is good for my mom's car to get it out for some miles. Since I normally take her car for all the errands I do for her.

They do have very good ground sirloin and Gerber chicken.

Here in Mexico City my wife goes to the butcher at the market. Meat at the grocery store is expensive and low quality.The butcher has fresher meat and will cut it anyway you want, plus they remove the silver skin and trim any excess fat. When we lived in DFW most of the time I would get meat at the grocery store (Sprouts), BUT they had a dedicated meat counter that cut the meat per customer request. The only time I would go to a butcher (Herschel's) was when I was making something very special and needed the best cut of meat.

After talking with multiple butchers/meat markets, I wasn’t able to find a single local establishment that still butchered hanging halfs or quarters. Every single one said their beef all came cryovac’d and it just wasn’t economical to butcher steers yourself anymore. Sometimes they still did hogs, depending on prices. I do have a local Amish market that has fresh cuts, but the selection changes day to day, so it’s not so reliable when looking for something in particular (except chicken).

There are still some larger meat packers that have a retail customer counter, but they’re inconvenient. A few do their own aging and also have heritage breeds... all of which is expensive.

Honestly, Costco has become my go to for meat. Good selection of both choice and prime beef, plus everything else.

Rick’s Meat, in Cranbrook, BC. Unreal T bones and awesome beef jerky. Well organized, friendly staff and they ask you if you would like steak spice on it before they wrap it. It’s amazing what marinating with steak spice for a day or two can do for the flavour.
laugh.gif

Most of my meat gets hauled out of the mountains on my back. The rest usually comes from the bargain bin at Smiths, lol, except for poultry. I can buy that just about anywhere without breaking the food budget. For special occasions, like a prime brisket, I'll hit up Costco.

I go to HEB and I have gone to the butcher in Mexico and the US. The Butcher will always make a better job than the high volume grocery stores. However, I like the convenience of the grocery store, so that's where I buy my meat.

Grocery store always, Harris Teeter more specifically, Food Lion occasionally. WM never.

Wouldn't know where to find a "meat market" in this area.

Most of my beef I been getting from a locker about 40 miles north of here cut to my specifications. It comes frozen and works out to about $3 a pound. We mostly get ground beef but a few roasts and steaks. The rest along with pork and chicken comes from a locally owned grocery store that still cuts their own steaks/roasts and uses the trim to make ground beef fresh every day.

I worked with my dad all thru high school cleaning up after him in the meat department where he worked. I remember watching him break down quarters by hand, quite the art and hard work.

One of the benefits from living in the midwest in a small town I guess.

I actually started going to Fairway, a smaller chain in our area, for their meat counter, and then just started shopping there. They have prime, and dry aged steaks that are very nice quality. They also do prime ground beef and burgers. I do like going to the butcher for a less "commercial" feel/cut, but Fairway just makes it easy. They also have dedicated counters for cheeses, Lox, 30 barrels of coffee that they roast on site and an awesome olive and pickle selection.

Steak I typically buy at a meat market, but Kroger's flat iron steaks in the black package can't be beat.

Used to buy hamburger patties at the butcher, but the meat has gotten so fatty.. My go to is Kroger 93% lean patties in the light blue freezer bag. Same price/ weight as the meat market, they're frozen individually and they come with a zip loc freezer bag.

Chicken (95% of what I eat) I buy at the grocery.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Steak I typically buy at a meat market, but Kroger's flat iron steaks in the black package can't be beat.

Used to buy hamburger patties at the butcher, but the meat has gotten so fatty.. My go to is Kroger 93% lean patties in the light blue freezer bag. Same price/ weight as the meat market, they're frozen individually and they come with a zip loc freezer bag.

Chicken (95% of what I eat) I buy at the grocery.

I noticed that too with the fatty hamburger patties from the butcher. Their ground sirloin is excellent and they do sell ground sirloin patties. Sometimes goes on sale for $4.99/lb. Very lean since almost no fat remains in the pan.

Gerber chicken almost always has one of their cuts of chicken on sale for around $2.99/lb. at the grocery store. My mom's favorite is their thin cutlets.

I remember seeing this commercial and buying steaks at WM for a cookout my wife and I had for her family. No complaints.

We have a few few "meat markets" in this area, but so far I am not convinced that their meat is any better than meat from local grocery stores.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Costco.
Can't beat the quality or the price.

They'll sell you waygu if you're willing to pay.

Yeah, a few people have already mentioned it, but they carry Prime cuts of meat. Most grocery stores only go up to choice, prime really gets up there in price. But still way cheaper than what a steak house like Capital Grill charges.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I shop for my mom once a week and discovered this great meat market that also has the best bakery in the back. So pick up some mini-kaiser buns and bread. The bread is always warm and sometimes fresh out of the oven. Prices are lower than the preservative-full stuff at the other stores. Places is a little farther away but mostly all hwy. Which is good for my mom's car to get it out for some miles. Since I normally take her car for all the errands I do for her.

They do have very good ground sirloin and Gerber chicken.

You're a good son Matt
smile.gif

I hit the local Polish meat market for steaks and roasts and ham bones for ham&bean soup hocks
smile.gif

Prices are real good too as i can buy bacon ends and scraps in container for $1.79~

Originally Posted By: car51
I hit the local Polish meat market for steaks and roasts and ham bones for ham&bean soup hocks
smile.gif

I buy smoked ham hock for making sauerkraut soup. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back