in CA we have "AM PM" , what is it called in your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your budget gas company called in your state? In CA, we have "AM PM"! Also, what is the current quality of AM PM gas? They are "top tier" now, really? Even in "top tier", do they further refine which are actually burn cleaner especially with today DI engine?

We've got a bunch:
Wawa
Turkey Hill
Sheetz

I've used the cheapest swill I can find and have since 92 and have never had a fuel or engine related issue that could be attributed to the gas.

We had “AM PM” stores that were BP for a little while, but they seem to have disappeared. We’re still dominated by the evil “Greedway” (Speedway) junky c-stores, with their watered down E10 (usually more like E40) gas, and a smattering of various BPs, Shells, Sunocos, Marathons, of fairly inconsistent quality.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Haffners, it kicks..
Cumberland Farms
Irving popping up everywhere.

I now buy Haffner's home heating oil after the small local oil delivery company folded a few years ago.
I just read a few months ago the Haffner family sold the business to (I cant remember to whom).

There are also some places > PRIME < with some shady characters (owners) behind the counter that look like they escaped from a Siberian prison and get a little to friendly with the Wife. I'm 1/2 Slavic 2nd gen but a criminal is a criminal.

Then the other Soviet invasion with LUKOIL popping up here and there.

IDK.

If its shady or known bad actors I guess just STAY AWAY.

Costco
GetGo (giant eagle supermarkets)
Sheetz
CircleK

I exclusively buy 87 octane E10 and I have never had a fuel system related issue using the cheapest E10 available.

Nothing but the cheapest swill for Grandma's creampuff.....

Costco always lowest price. Sams will match them when nearby--usually like to stick to Top Tier so generally avoid Sam's.

QT (Top Tier) dominates mainline c-store gas sales in metro St. Louis and has served as the rabbit in the rather odd gas market here. QT down three cents (everyone follows), down seven cents (everyone follows), up thirty cents (everyone follows within an hour or so). This was so strange that it drew the price fixing ire of the AG about a decade ago, but nothing came of it. QT got the jump on the market about 25 years ago because they had large, safe, well lighted stores-- heavily staffed 24/7 and cops were encouraged to use them as informal sub stations. Today they have separately staffed lunch counters with 49 cent soft-serve, on order pizzas and flat breads and breakfasts. Can't say they're cheapest because other than an hour when they cut prices, everyone else in the market goes along for the ride. Most gas here is Top Tier, On the Run (Mobil) and QT (Shell) make runs at QT and also have nice stores. Now we need a Bucees to take things to the next level-- I'd go in there for BBQ and to look at the giant rows of urinals but don't think their gas meets Top Tier.

Ninety percent of my actual purchases are Costco. When QuikTrip gets within a few cents of Costco, you know they're going to jump prices by a quarter within a day or two.

Last edited:
Rotten Robbie is a sort of reverse psychology something or other brand. People seem to like to buy gas there even if the price is the same as the name brand across the street. You are rotten and you rob me? I want that.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: csandste
Costco always lowest price. Sams will match them when nearby--usually like to stick to Top Tier so generally avoid Sam's.

QT (Top Tier) dominates mainline c-store gas sales in metro St. Louis and has served as the rabbit in the rather odd gas market here. QT down three cents (everyone follows), down seven cents (everyone follows), up thirty cents (everyone follows within an hour or so). This was so strange that it drew the price fixing ire of the AG about a decade ago, but nothing came of it. QT got the jump on the market about 25 years ago because they had large, safe, well lighted stores-- heavily staffed 24/7 and cops were encouraged to use them as informal sub stations. Today they have separately staffed lunch counters with 49 cent soft-serve, on order pizzas and flat breads and breakfasts. Can't say they're cheapest because other than an hour when they cut prices, everyone else in the market goes along for the ride. Most gas here is Top Tier, On the Run (Mobil) and QT (Shell) make runs at QT and also have nice stores. Now we need a Bucees to take things to the next level-- I'd go in there for BBQ and to look at the giant rows of urinals but don't think their gas meets Top Tier.

Ninety percent of my actual purchases are Costco. When QuikTrip gets within a few cents of Costco, you know they're going to jump prices by a quarter within a day or two.

QuikTrip is no longer a member of the Top Tier group. The fact that they recently had the "Top Tier" stickers put on all their gas pumps seems awfully well timed seeing as they just dropped their Top Tier membership. It's almost as if they wanted everyone to think they are still a Top Tier gasoline without having to provide a Top Tier product to the buyers.

AM PM is one of many "budget" gas outlets in California so I'd be interested in the definition of budget. You have places like Rotten Robbies, QwikStop, etc. and you have a major like ARCO and Costco and Safeway both significantly undercutting the average cost at Shell/Chevron.

The ARCO three miles away is 40 cents a gallon cheaper for the mid-grade I buy then the Chevron station that's half a mile from my house. It's Top Tier and from my experience not a shorted product versus any of the majors. If you're paying $3.45 vs. $3.85 for mid-grade, then 40 cents is obviously relative.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke

QuikTrip is no longer a member of the Top Tier group. The fact that they recently had the "Top Tier" stickers put on all their gas pumps seems awfully well timed seeing as they just dropped their Top Tier membership. It's almost as if they wanted everyone to think they are still a Top Tier gasoline without having to provide a Top Tier product to the buyers. [/quote]

Actually QT and Quik Trip are back on the list.

https://toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Last edited:
Speedway is for coming into town, Irving for leaving town. The difference isn't worth turning in front of on coming traffic.
grin2.gif

Up in my neck of the woods, AM PM is tied to Arco. AM PM is just a convenience store. They are not as prevalent as they used to be. Shell is a big player here.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Originally Posted By: The_Nuke

QuikTrip is no longer a member of the Top Tier group. The fact that they recently had the "Top Tier" stickers put on all their gas pumps seems awfully well timed seeing as they just dropped their Top Tier membership. It's almost as if they wanted everyone to think they are still a Top Tier gasoline without having to provide a Top Tier product to the buyers.

Actually QT and Quik Trip are back on the list.

https://toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/ [/quote]

I think there was a separate thread several months ago about the short disappearance and reappearance of QT. Someone forgot to send in the check? Also I've read (here?) that QT avoided the OKC market out of personal respect to the founder of 7-11, and that they turned Springfield, MO stores over to Kum&Go because they were abandoning smaller population areas--even though they remain in Columbia, MO. And why don't QuikTrip and KwikTrip sue each other for trademark infringement? If I didn't have to get outside I'd do some further research on the whole deal. Something fishy here. Hopefully the taste won't get into their cheap, delicious custom frozen treats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back