When To Change Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

Does it make any sense to replace tires before getting down to the wear indicators?

I've got about 2/32" to 3/32" above the wear bars now. Do the tires actually perform to spec in wet weather?

Michelin LTX/MS2

Wet performance starts to degrade once you go below 4/32's. Snow performance goes down once you hit 5/32's. No snow in your area, but it sounds like you're at 4-5/32's as the wear bars are usually at 2/32's. So I'd start shopping for a good price on tires. Maybe by black friday or before you might run into a good sale. You also replace tires due to age. How old are they? Usually the week and year are stamped on the tire, it's the last set of numbers after DOT. Usually only on one side, it's the 3rd set of numbers. Normally 6-10 years is what the manufacturers say, in a hot climate like yours, I'd say you're better off staying closer to 6 than 10.

It really depends on the tire.

I've run Michelin Pilot Super Sports past the wear bars and they were still okay, even on a wet road. The only reason I replaced them was either an inspection coming due, or that I just didn't want to wear them down to the cords.

Cheaper tires have always fared worse. The worst was a set of Falken FK452s, which I pulled off my old car at half tread depth because the NVH was literally intolerable -- as in, they turned a car I loved into one I literally disliked driving.

My most recent set of winter tires were pretty much done once they got below 3/32". Not much use in snow, and a bit pucker-inducing under braking on a wet road.

Most longer-lived tires will actually age out before they get near the wear bars, not to mention having pretty poor grip even in the best of times. I'd think tires like that would be pretty scary at low tread, even on a bone dry road. Then again, tires like that scare me even when they're brand spankin' new, so maybe I'm not the right guy to say.

I don't think any tire is going to perform "to spec" at 2/32" or 3/32". The question is whether they'll work well enough to give you the safety margin you want. Without knowing the LTX M/S2 specifically, I'd guess hydroplaning resistance would kind of suck, but traction on a simply damp surface should still be reasonable. But it's your judgment and your call.

Many times it pays to replace tires based on age even if they have decent tread left. Six to seven years after the manufacturing date is the rule of thumb due to how rubber can degrade over time. It doesn't pay to drive on old tires or tires that are badly worn.

For me, it depends upon the season. If it is in the heat of the summer, when little or no rain is forecast here in the West, I will drive with a tire down to as low as 3/32. If it is getting to be late fall, when there can be a lot of rain storms, and even an early snow storm, I will replace tires at 4/32.

There is no reason to take unnecessary risks with safety.

you should take into account your plans for the car.

if you know you're going to keep the car for say 2-5 years, but not longer, you can change the tires early so you get some use out of the new rubber

Last edited:
CCI
Yes. I normally run my Michelin LTX / MS2's down to about 5/32's and sell them on Craigslist. I run 275/55/20 which fit lots of trucks and suvs. The last set I sold was last Spring for $280. They had 75k miles on them. If you run them down to the wear bands, they're worth Zero. Good Luck!

IMO and IME 4-5/32, time to start looking for a new set of tires. Eye the next DT/DTD promotional period and/or tire manufacturer rebate, something looks good get a new set. 2-3/32, new set time.

I usually get rid of a tire at 4/32'' for an all season. People will still buy them for $50 a set or $100 a set on CL.

Winter tires: 2 seasons then I sell.

Originally Posted By: CCI
I've got about 2/32" to 3/32" above the wear bars now.

Does that mean 4-5/32" from the bottom?

Originally Posted By: CCI
Does it make any sense to replace tires before getting down to the wear indicators?

I've got about 2/32" to 3/32" above the wear bars now. Do the tires actually perform to spec in wet weather?

Michelin LTX/MS2

I'd replace them in October you get very little rain in New Mexico but some winters there are some scattered snow fall in your State.

At 2/32nds or 3/32nds, the volume of void in the tread pattern is significantly reduced and will therefore be more prone to hydroplaning.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
At 2/32nds or 3/32nds, the volume of void in the tread pattern is significantly reduced and will therefore be more prone to hydroplaning.

The Op is from New Mexico between now and November how much hydroplaning are you going to do in say Truth or Consequences, New Mexico gets 11 inches of rain, on average, per year.

Last edited:
Follow Up -- I took the LTX-MS2 P265/70R17 off with 5/32" or better, will sell or trade them eventually. Already ahead on the tire disposal fee.

Put on the LTX-AT2 in LT265/70R17 and I am astonished by the difference. I am supposing there's a higher ply rating and the sidewalls are stronger, I don't know. I do know these tires are as quiet as anything else I have ever run, are rock steady on the highway at 85 mph, outstanding at 40 mph on dirt in 4WD, and every bit as good as the MS2 if not better in the rain.

The improvement in stability is worth every dime and then some, if the ride is any rougher I have not noticed. Couldn't be any happier with these tires so far.

Thanks to all for the good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back