Different media types for disposable filters, whats best??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A look on rock auto shows a variety of paper, cellulose and sythetic media available for disposable engine air filters. What would be the most efficient at filtration?

I can't speak to the media types used, but perhaps this might be able to give you something to search on
http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

FWIW I just use OEM filters. At least for me, the AC Delco filters scored best on this test as far as capture of particulate and in general: OE filters seem to rank on the high end of build quality

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
I can't speak to the media types used, but perhaps this might be able to give you something to search on

FWIW I just use OEM filters. At least for me, the AC Delco filters scored best on this test as far as capture of particulate and in general: OE filters seem to rank on the high end of build quality

That link was a good read thanks. I never really understood why people would want to run a k&n I guess it's better than no filter
crazy.gif
I usually use OEM but I'm always looking for something better. I wish I had one of those OEM lightly oiled cellulose filters like some Hondas are equipped with, they look great

Most factory air filters are supreme. Of course; there are exceptions. None that I know of.

Originally Posted By: Denkun
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

That link was a good read thanks. I never really understood why people would want to run a k&n I guess it's better than no filter
crazy.gif
I usually use OEM but I'm always looking for something better. I wish I had one of those OEM lightly oiled cellulose filters like some Hondas are equipped with, they look great
K@N filters are used because of MARKETING.

They do, admittedly provide a small amount of extra flow. But at the expense of filtration efficiency. You might see a small gain, 1-2 hp(even still that's within the margin of error for dyno tests), but for the most part really only make the intake a bit louder. As it stands, OE filters are generally sized pretty well for their application. Think about it, if they weren't, you'd have issues both with the efficiency of the engine and the pressure drop causing damage to the filter. They're not exactly designed for a large pressure differential. With that said, if you're doing something that needs more airflow, you wouldn't be using a drop in filter anyway. You'd have a proper custom intake setup

I like the lightly-oiled air filters like Fram TG/Ultra, or the old blue P1 filters that Purolator no longer makes. Autozone has a limited selection of the Premium air filters PSA-xxxx where the media is red. It is available in the same applications that Fram makes the TG/Ultra air filters for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back