AC system troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I hooked up the gauges to the AC system on a 2003 Jetta TDI. I have noticed an issue with the AC taking taking longer to get cold, but it does eventually get cold. My low side reading was 41psi and my high side was 290psi with the system running. Also, my low side reading after the car was shut off rose to 390psi. After recording the readings I shut off the car and bled off my gauges. The high side hose was filled with a yellow liquid substance that I assume to be oil. Is this normal? Also, I would appreciate any insights on my readings. I realize AC systems are best left to the professionals, but it's an old car and I like learning new things.

It probably could use a shot of refrigerant, I bet its a few ounces low. The best way to tell, is to evacuate the system with the right machine and have it weighed to see what was in there.

What was the ambient temp? Those numbers are a tad high, I would agree it's slightly low. I like to see 25-30 PSI low and 225-275 high.

Have you cleaned the condensor? Dirt and debris can build up on the radiator, a/c condenser, and to a lesser extent various oil/fluid coolers causing less air flow. Also, make sure your fan(s) are going to high speed when you turn on the a/c. Pressures seem kinda high to me, but I'm not a VW guy.... Or an a/c guy

When the compressor shuts off the pressures will equalize, so that parts normal.

What was the ambient temp? If near 90-95 then you're pretty close high side. Low, should be near 45-55 or so.

You might just be a tad low.

Follow HorseThiefs advice.

290 psi on the high side while running. Super High! What was the ambient temps? R134a? My initial thoughts possible plugged orifice / expansion valve.

I would clean and rinse condenser coil as best as you can, then recheck pressures and ambient temperature. As far as the 390 psi on the low side.....my gauges for 134A do not read that high on the low side. Could you possibly confuse the 2 hoses?

Sounds like your system is flooded with refrigerant oil.
Let me guess, Every time someone charged the system.....They added oil?

I've never seen a low side gauge that could read 390 psi.....

I see this on constant basis at work, Recommend flushing the Evaporator & Condenser, New Drier, Drop the compressor & drian the oil.
Add/Distribute the CORRECT amount of oil. Evacuate & recharge with the CORRECT amount of refrigerant.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Sounds like your system is flooded with refrigerant oil.
Let me guess, Every time someone charged the system.....They added oil?

I've never seen a low side gauge that could read 390 psi.....

I see this on constant basis at work, Recommend flushing the Evaporator & Condenser, New Drier, Drop the compressor & drian the oil.
Add/Distribute the CORRECT amount of oil. Evacuate & recharge with the CORRECT amount of refrigerant.

Actually, the gauge goes from 120 to 350 over a short distance on the gauge. The reading was 350, not 390, but I am doubting the accuracy of that part of the gauge. I have no history on the maintenance of the system. I bought the car with 269,000 miles on it 3 years ago and have never touched the AC system. The car currently has 374,000 miles on it. Any harm is running it as is for a few days? I don't have time to tinker again until this weekend.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Are the radiator fans working? If they are Those pressures would be OK on a 120 degree day. It sounds overcharged.

Temperature outside today was near 90 and quite humid. I have never added any refrigerant since I bought the car 100,000 miles ago.

Measure ambient temp., then air temp out of the dash with both RECIRC off, then on, then meas. the temp of the liquid line and the suction line at the firewall. Report those numbers here.

The suction line should be sweating in hot humid weather.

The evaporator core could also be dirty/moldy, blocking airflow, resulting in poor cooling. Pull the blower and have a look. You can spray coil cleaner in there, then rinse.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Are the radiator fans working? If they are Those pressures would be OK on a 120 degree day. It sounds overcharged.

Temperature outside today was near 90 and quite humid. I have never added any refrigerant since I bought the car 100,000 miles ago.
look for 2.2-2.5 ambient for your high pressure. 198-225 psi. 290 is way high. Its either overcharged,the condenser is blocked either internally or externally or the fan(s) are not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back