Anyone running extended intervals on a Detroit 12.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if I should run the LF9620 instead of LF3620 for longer intervals? Going to try Schaeffer's 15w40 or possibly even 5w40 for extended OCI.

What do you consider extended? The Detroit Lube Manual says I should change the oil in my 2000 12.7 every 15,000 miles / 300 hrs. I have changed it about 22,500 / 450 hrs since the day it was put in my 2013 Freightliner glider. So I am extending 50% longer than OEM recommendation. It now has 868,000 miles on the motor reman. I use a Schaffer 10w30 syn blend in it year round. Uses the same amount of oil between oil changes as it did when it had 50,000 miles on it... about 2 qts. Oils samples look great, almost identical numbers on the UOA's for the entire 868,000 miles. Never any shearing of the oil. I use Donaldson P552100 oil filters. I used the Donaldson 3998 filters a couple of times, but never saw an appreciable reason to continue. Not worth the added cost.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
What do you consider extended? The Detroit Lube Manual says I should change the oil in my 2000 12.7 every 15,000 miles / 300 hrs. I have changed it about 22,500 / 450 hrs since the day it was put in my 2013 Freightliner glider. So I am extending 50% longer than OEM recommendation. It now has 868,000 miles on the motor reman. I use a Schaffer 10w30 syn blend in it year round. Uses the same amount of oil between oil changes as it did when it had 50,000 miles on it... about 2 qts. Oils samples look great, almost identical numbers on the UOA's for the entire 868,000 miles. Never any shearing of the oil. I use Donaldson P552100 oil filters. I used the Donaldson 3998 filters a couple of times, but never saw an appreciable reason to continue. Not worth the added cost.

I was thinking about sending a sample to Blackstone around 20k and see what they say. I would be happy at 25k, maybe 30k if the analysis was good? What's the advantage of the 10w30? Better cold starting and fuel mileage?

Originally Posted By: Terry270

I was thinking about sending a sample to Blackstone around 20k and see what they say. I would be happy at 25k, maybe 30k if the analysis was good? What's the advantage of the 10w30? Better cold starting and fuel mileage?

Probably nothing major. But compared to 15w40 I have used in the past, the 10w30 stay much tighter in grade over the entire OCI better than 15w40. It is less prone to shearing than 15w40. It just seems to handle the abuse from the motor better than any 40 weight I have tried of the same and other brands. And it does flow a lot better in cold weather. Cold weather starting is easier. It holds up as well at a 40 weight in hot weather under hard pulls and loads also. Took several oil changes and seasonal variations to fully convince me, but I am solidly in the 10w30 camp now. It was a good recommendation by my oil rep. The Detroit Lube manual supports using 10w30 in the Detroit 60.

There is the claim of better mpg using a 30 weight over a 40 weight, but I haven't noticed anything appreciable. I think only a fleet level with multiple trucks would it make a difference.

The samples say I could go quite a bit longer, but 50% longer than OEM recommend is within my comfort zone, so 22,500 miles / 450 hrs is where I am settled at. I am not one to try to press the edge of the envelope, especially with the cost of replacing a motor and the downtime to my business. What folks do with their cars and lawn mowers is something else. It is probably not unreasonable to take the Detroit drains longer than what I do. Each person has to live within their own comfort zone. I find that fleet guys and marketing folks who recommend extremes on oil changes and say it can be done really have little of their own skin in the game. it is easy to play "what if's" with other people's money.

Find what works for you and is within your comfort zone and enjoy! Life is way too short to get your gut in a knot over such things.

Originally Posted By: Terry270

Probably nothing major. But compared to 15w40 I have used in the past, the 10w30 stay much tighter in grade over the entire OCI better than 15w40. It is less prone to shearing than 15w40. It just seems to handle the abuse from the motor better than any 40 weight I have tried of the same and other brands. And it does flow a lot better in cold weather. Cold weather starting is easier. It holds up as well at a 40 weight in hot weather under hard pulls and loads also. Took several oil changes and seasonal variations to fully convince me, but I am solidly in the 10w30 camp now. It was a good recommendation by my oil rep. The Detroit Lube manual supports using 10w30 in the Detroit 60.

There is the claim of better mpg using a 30 weight over a 40 weight, but I haven't noticed anything appreciable. I think only a fleet level with multiple trucks would it make a difference.

The samples say I could go quite a bit longer, but 50% longer than OEM recommend is within my comfort zone, so 22,500 miles / 450 hrs is where I am settled at. I am not one to try to press the edge of the envelope, especially with the cost of replacing a motor and the downtime to my business. What folks do with their cars and lawn mowers is something else. It is probably not unreasonable to take the Detroit drains longer than what I do. Each person has to live within their own comfort zone. I find that fleet guys and marketing folks who recommend extremes on oil changes and say it can be done really have little of their own skin in the game. it is easy to play "what if's" with other people's money.

Find what works for you and is within your comfort zone and enjoy! Life is way too short to get your gut in a knot over such things.

Interesting. How much per gallon are you getting the 10w30 for?

Oh btw, lives in IA, Freightliner Glider, runs Schaeffer's, that's too many coincidences for me not to be talking to Cowpie from TTR lol.

It is a syn blend 10w30. #711 in Schaeffer's list. I get it for just under $20 a gallon delivered free of charge.

Not bad. Is that by the 55gal drum?

No. I used to get it by the 55, but the last several orders I just got cases of 6 - 1 gallon jugs. I will typically order 4 cases at a time. By the 55 drum, I think it is going to be a little cheaper per gallon. I find I like the convenience of the jugs so the slight extra cost is worth it to me. I don't need any more empty drums around. I already have a dozen 30 gal drums and the same number of 55 drums. I do use a 55 for dumping used oil into and a guy down the road uses it in his shop furnace. He brings me an empty when he picks up the full one. Reminds me.... I need to call him and have him pick up a full drum.

No. I used to get it by the 55, but the last several orders I just got cases of 6 - 1 gallon jugs. I will typically order 4 cases at a time. By the 55 drum, I think it is going to be a little cheaper per gallon. I find I like the convenience of the jugs so the slight extra cost is worth it to me. I don't need any more empty drums around. I already have a dozen 30 gal drums and the same number of 55 drums. I do use a 55 for dumping used oil into and a guy down the road uses it in his shop furnace. He brings me an empty when he picks up the full one. Reminds me.... I need to call him and have him pick up a full drum.

I'm with you, the 55gal drum would be a bit of a pain. But the savings are pretty substantial especially when you figure in the 6gal you get on top of that which in my case I'd get the 5w40 for my personal vehicles.

Schaeffers is available in 12 qt. and 6/1 gal cases, 5 gal. 30 gal. 55 gal 275 gal. and tanker loads. Biggest cost savings is when you jump from the cases to the pails and drums. Free shipping at $375

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents: Same pile but different animal. I run a semi synthetic 10w30 in my Cummins 6.7 ISB. First UOA I had done, 24,000km on oil and 48,000 on truck. Typical viscosity at 100C for the PetroCan Duron SHP is 12cSt new. Mine showed at 11.47 even with 2.87% fuel dilution. Very impressed.

I also run a Fitzgerald Glider Freightliner Coronado with a 12-7, we have two of them running Schaefer's 5 w 40 9000 with DBL 3998 Donaldson's and Amsoil bypass filters. We run short haul Local and after about a hundred thousand miles of testing on three different trucks one of them is a 14 L I think we're going to settle in at 30000 on and 12.7 and 40000 miles on the 14l . We could definitely go farther but that's doing a filter swap at 30,000 miles adding two gallons of oil doing an extra sample and that's where things get expensive and wasteful in my opinion you start to lose benefit

Yeah, my glider is a Harrison Columbia with a Detroit factory remanned 12.7. I have been using Schaeffer syn blend 10w30 in it for quite a while. I have been using the CK-4 variety since Schaeffer first offered it. The 5w40 and 15w40 stuff seemed to take a real beating in this motor. The 10w30 remains very stable thru an OCI. I run a FS2500 bypass. My motor, I worked it up on oil changes, taking samples at each change. Nice gradual increases in wear metals and such on a consistent pattern until I worked up to 25K mile oil change. Though oil showed to be fine, I was getting some slight deviation spikes from the trend lines on metals a change in viscosity, so I settled in at 22,500 / 450 hr oil changes from then on. 869,000 miles on the reman and it is still all original except for a couple of exhaust manifold bolts. Oil samples look as good as they were at 50,000 miles. Motor uses about 2 qt of oil in that 22,500 miles. I can live with all of that, especially since this truck is likely the last Class 8 I will ever buy.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Yeah, my glider is a Harrison Columbia with a Detroit factory remanned 12.7. I have been using Schaeffer syn blend 10w30 in it for quite a while. I have been using the CK-4 variety since Schaeffer first offered it. The 5w40 and 15w40 stuff seemed to take a real beating in this motor. The 10w30 remains very stable thru an OCI. I run a FS2500 bypass. My motor, I worked it up on oil changes, taking samples at each change. Nice gradual increases in wear metals and such on a consistent pattern until I worked up to 25K mile oil change. Though oil showed to be fine, I was getting some slight deviation spikes from the trend lines on metals a change in viscosity, so I settled in at 22,500 / 450 hr oil changes from then on. 869,000 miles on the reman and it is still all original except for a couple of exhaust manifold bolts. Oil samples look as good as they were at 50,000 miles. Motor uses about 2 qt of oil in that 22,500 miles. I can live with all of that, especially since this truck is likely the last Class 8 I will ever buy.

This might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, what is the difference between an oil that starts out at 40w but gets sheared down some between changes, and a 30w that stays more stable between OCI?

Originally Posted by Terry270
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

This might be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, what is the difference between an oil that starts out at 40w but gets sheared down some between changes, and a 30w that stays more stable between OCI?

Really haven't spent a lot of time thinking on that. My general take on using 10w30 over one of the 40 weights is that, in many cases, a 10w30 does't require the same level of viscosity modifiers. And that generally is viewed as a positive. I just know that viscosity always seems to take a bigger hit when using 40 weights in my particular motor. Whereas the 10w30 seems to stay closer to out of the jug viscosity. Something is causing the 40 weights to get knocked down in the motor while 10w30 seems to be on more amiable terms with the motor.

I would add... I rebuilt a buddies 60 series last summer, has 100k on it now. When I built the engine I filled it with Chevron 15w40 and Donaldson filters. My buddy has since changed to I believe fleetguard filters and 15w40 schaffers oil. Now, I have not seen or heard this engine in at least 6-8 months. My brother has and told me that the blow by was very extreme. I don't know if there is something else wrong and I won't, but it just strikes me as odd to increase blow by with a simple oil brand swap.

We had the same thing happen when we switched it from Wolf's head to rotella, the blow by decreased substantially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back