Burn Through Lucas Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Honda CRV
47K miles
2.4 V-Tec i4
Honda recommends full synthetic 0W-20.

I'm normally a Mobil 1 guy. But I've also used Penzoil Platinum on occasion when they have stupid good sales. Last oil/filter I filled it with Lucas Synthetic. At 3400 miles, I was 2q low. Never has this car been low on oil before with 5K oil change intervals. I filled up with 2q of Mobil 1. 1500 miles later it is 1/2q low.

Does Lucas tend to burn in some engines?

yeah my 2011 is like that. i change it with castrol magnetec 0/20 and in 5k miles it burned a quart. Changed it and put some pup in it and 5k later not a drop burned .

Just to tell you if one brand of oil is working for your particular car engine, you don't need to change??

Wife was a very staunch Mobil 1 user. Our Santa Fe always burned up a quart of Mobil 1 5w-20 High Mileage over a 5k interval. Pretty annoying since it’s capacity is 5.5 quarts and I would throw the extra half in the below floor storage area for when (not if, but when) the level went low. It would go low about the 3.5k mark, and I’d dump in the extra half quart. By 5k it was another half quart low.

So I talked her into letting me run Valvoline Synthetic in it. It’s been about 6 oil/filter changes, and it doesn’t burn a single molecule over a 5k interval. None of the other 4 cars, the tractor, two mowers or any other power equipment burn Valvoline Synthetic in either straight up or Maxlife flavor.

I told you that story to tell you this;
I do believe some oils will be consumed by some engine designs more that others, whether it be because of the chemistry or the engine design. Over many cars, trucks, power equipment, and tractors under my ownership, I’ve found what works for me. I’m in no way trying to shill Valvoline, just stating that you are on a path of finding what works for you. (And what doesn’t).

Originally Posted By: PaulyWally
2014 Honda CRV
47K miles
2.4 V-Tec i4
Honda recommends full synthetic 0W-20.

I'm normally a Mobil 1 guy. But I've also used Penzoil Platinum on occasion when they have stupid good sales. Last oil/filter I filled it with Lucas Synthetic. At 3400 miles, I was 2q low. Never has this car been low on oil before with 5K oil change intervals. I filled up with 2q of Mobil 1. 1500 miles later it is 1/2q low.

Does Lucas tend to burn in some engines?

Personally I have no faith in Lucas lubrication products. In my opinion Lucas lacks the engineering depth that major oil companies have. Mobil and Pennzoil motor oils come from two of the world's largest and most experienced oil manufacturers. You can't go wrong with either one.

Originally Posted By: ClarkSuper100

Personally I have no faith in Lucas lubrication products. In my opinion Lucas lacks the engineering depth that major oil companies have. Mobil and Pennzoil motor oils come from two of the world's largest and most experienced oil manufacturers. You can't go wrong with either one.

I would not go so far to avoid an entire line of products, but I agree that the major companies are a safe choice. However I was not impressed with Mobil in either of my engines...pennzoil and valvoline seem to work best. As mentioned previously in this thread, some engine/oil combos work better than others.

As for Lucas, I have not tried their oil, but i really like the way their power steering fluid works in my cars...steering is much smoother than with other brands or OEM fluid (I was particularly disappointed with Honda OEM which is often touted as the best for Hondas, but had a notchy or sticking feeling while turning; ditto for prestone's version of Honda fluid). Less improvement in the Cad, but turns a little easier with Lucas than with Maxlife PS fluid (not surprising given how thick maxlife is).

Yes, I like to stick to one brand. But synthetic is expensive. The Lucas 0w20 was on sale last time I needed an oil change.

At any rate... lesson learned.
smile.gif

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil are around $23 a jug at Walmart. I don't get that being expensive? Your car only holds 4.5 quarts. Either way, I'd avoid anything with Lucas stamped on it like the plague.

Actually, their chain lube ain't bad for motorcycles! That's about the only thing from them I use, though. But their oil and especially oil stabilizer, throw that out! Purely snake oil, modern oils have adequate additives to do the job, you don't need additional additives to complicate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back