HELP PLEASE - Diesel additive added to gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally just added a bottle of Royal Purple Maxtane diesel additive to my gasoline pickup. The tank is full with premium. I haven't run it yet.

Do I need to siphon as much as I can out or drain the tank? Or am I okay?

Thank you for any advice.

What will a cetane improver do to a gasoline engine? Did you use the 10 oz. or 20 oz. bottle?

The Gumout product (also a cetane booster) says it is o.k.: https://gumout.com/faqs/i-accidentally-p...arm-the-engine/ ...
21.gif

how big is the bottle? how big is your tank. even if you poured that volume of motor oil into your tank it would probably be OK.
diesrl or diesel additives will slow combistion, but if its 1% or less by volume itll probably be fine.

Id just give it a rip. If its performing poorly then if you can get to half tank dilute it again rather than running the full tank with the additive.

As far as the calling the company. Think this through. Theyre going to cover themselves and give you the most conservative answer which is tow it to a mechanic and flush your fuel system even if they know it to be fine. No way would they want to be on the hook to give you permission for offlabel use just from a liability standpoint. .

Last edited:
With a full tank of Premium you probably wont even notice anything. Like what was mentioned....when you get down to a half a tank....fill it back up.

Actually, the diesel additive INCREASES rate of combustion by using , I believe, ethyl hexyl nitrate, which decomposes during compression and ignition to speed the process, thus increasing the cetane rating. You may experience some pinging due to this. You should listen for this and if it is bad, you may want to drain the gasoline. If not audible, I would drive it without really loading up the motor until you can add several more gallons of gas to dilute it more. However, the rest of the stuff is just a petroleum solvent and injector cleaners.

I assumed I'd be okay but to be safe, I went ahead and siphoned out about 9 gallons and added 4 gallons I had here back. I'll top it off next time I go out and go from there.

Side note - I'll use that 9 gallons in my lawn equipment and add some non-contaminated gas in with it.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm with boomer on this. MaxTane has a lot of 2EHN in it. It does wonders for diesel engines, not so much in gas burners. You probably wont hear ping, the ECU should pull timing if it's knocking by having an input from the knock sensor, but I'm betting your fuel mileage takes a dump, and performance will be down. NOx emissions go up with 2EHN in gas as well.
Run it down to half and refuel again.

When the gas and diesel injector cleaners go half price, I buy one of each and drop both in... The diesel ones are slightly stronger and the diesel additives tend to have an upper cylinder lubricant effect

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I'm with boomer on this. MaxTane has a lot of 2EHN in it. It does wonders for diesel engines, not so much in gas burners. You probably wont hear ping, the ECU should pull timing if it's knocking by having an input from the knock sensor, but I'm betting your fuel mileage takes a dump, and performance will be down. NOx emissions go up with 2EHN in gas as well.
Run it down to half and refuel again.

No ECU on this one... old school Holley!

Took her out for about an hour long cruise around the back roads. Yep, heard some pinging under load but it would taper off at cruise speeds. Tried watching the gas gauge and it almost seemed like it wasn't using as much gas but I know that's not right. I'm gonna go after work tomorrow and fill it up with premium ethanol free and not worry about it anymore. Just be more careful with my additives.

Not the first time I've done something stupid, won't be the last. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back