Seized chainsaw chain links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Restoring a old chainsaw Remington mighty mite bantam,the chain must have been on the blade for many many years not moving.some parts on the bend have seized ,I wd40 the heck out of it and try to manipulate the links it worked a bit.got it soaking in some acidic drink hoping that it will eat out the rust ,then I will soak it in oil for a day or 2 as well.Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
Thank you

Vinegar is probably stronger than soda pop … sprinkle with baking soda (slowly) after it soaked over night and get it fizzy …
Rinse it good … Then go back to WD40 …

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy any length of chain, master links and chain breaker. I guess what I'm saying is that it's a waste of time when you can get a new one. Try Bailey's online.

What oil filter is it running?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What oil filter is it running?
wink.gif

Is the oil filter guru bored? … let me dig out some Purolator pictures, stand by please …
wink.gif

soak in ATF fluid and acetone. I have a couple soaking in atf and denatured alcohol. At last check there were still a few bound up links.

You may need to degrease the chain first so that it doesn't repel your water based soda or vinegar soak.

Originally Posted By: AVB
You may need to degrease the chain first so that it doesn't repel your water based soda or vinegar soak.

Agree … and the only reason I suggested WD40 behind that is because it’s a water displacement product …

Rust “grows” … so it needs to loose some of that material to mild acid … not be soaked in a preservative …

If the chain is that bad, I’d just buy a new one. You may be able to find one for as low as $20. I'm gonna hafta do something about the chain on the corded Sears 14' It encountered one too many 10" screws during my adventures with used landscaping timbers awhile back. The saw is made by Poulan and actually cuts pretty OK when sharp. I've been soaking 2 chains that got rusty. Thats 40 I don't hafta $pend for an hr or 2 labor is fairly decent wages tax free. I'll listen to a CD or the ball game.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back