Briggs and Stratton oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are videos on Youtube on B&S lawnmowers running on some crazy stuff in the crank case. One even ran with sand in there for quite a while. They were trying to kill it. The put sand in the carberator and everything to finally kill it.

Any 30-40 oil wt be it 0w 5w or 10W should fine. I personally run 5W30 penzoil platinum because I can get it at the nearly the same price as conventional. It is also the oil I run in my truck.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
I just don't get why Briggs put that statement about the 10w-30 I just won't over-think it and continue what I am doing since there's no issue.
Manufacturers and especially OPE manufactures tend to be on behind in lubrication technology. 10w30 oils are robust than they used to be and that is why they have that statement. There still stuck on oils of the yesteryears. That is also who they won't recommend a 10w40 either.

Next time you do an oil change on your car, catch 15 oz in a jar and use it for the mower!
lol.gif

I doubt it would hurt it, unless it was constantly run at or near 100F. 0w-20 is always synthetic, so a mower would love it.

Last edited:
I run SuperTech 10w-40 in all my outdoor stuff. Sometimes 10w-30 SuperTech. Depends on what's on the shelf in the garage. No need for exotic oils in these engines.

I knew several people who ran Mobil1 in their cars. Drained it out and put it into their lawnmowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back