AMG E55 W211 with M113 Supercharger oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to share the oil change I did on the supercharger (IHI) on my 2004 AMG E55 with the M113 5.4l V8 Kompressor. The car has done 180k km's and I believe an oil change was previously done. The supercharger spins up to about 20,000 rpm.

The supercharger has a little grub screw down the bottom and takes about 150 ml of oil. The oil is Mobil Jet Oil 2 which I bought for about $35 for a litre off ebay and was posted to me. Otherwise you can go to Mercedes and buy the oil for a gazillion dollars for 150ml.

Used a syringe and rubber tubing to extract the old oil and replace the new oil.

The oil that came out was crazy black and smelt really bad. No noticeable difference in sound since changing the oil out. I'm not sure what would make the oil go so black as it doesn't have anything to do with the engine oil. Would it be metal particles?

Here's a pic of old vs new. See if you can tell the difference

Yeah, that supercharger oil is skanky, even new.

I used M1, as per the Chev TSB on the issue when I replaced the coupler on the Caprice.

Mobil Jet II is what we service the GE CF34 turbofans (and their accessory gearboxes) with on our Embraer ERJs. It's a pure ester oil, and contains a lot of fatty acids, which is where the smell comes from. Smells similar to parmesan cheese to me. It's a pretty light viscosity - around a 10W equivalent.

Originally Posted By: dirtydannyd
The oil that came out was crazy black and smelt really bad. No noticeable difference in sound since changing the oil out. I'm not sure what would make the oil go so black as it doesn't have anything to do with the engine oil. Would it be metal particles?

My guess is that the oil is oxidized. The phasing gears of the supercharger must be aerating the oil at operating speeds up to 20,000 rpm, and the closed sump of small volume doesn't allow the heat to escape, so the oil gets hot and foamy. Voila! Oil oxidation.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

My guess is that the oil is oxidized. The phasing gears of the supercharger must be aerating the oil at operating speeds up to 20,000 rpm, and the closed sump of small volume doesn't allow the heat to escape, so the oil gets hot and foamy. Voila! Oil oxidation.

Hmm, sounds reasonable
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
AMG E55 V8 Kompressor, very nice.

Cheers mate. Yes is a very nice car. I'm absolutely rappt with it.

Went for a hoon today with the amg club. Kept up with a new GT-C!!! Car has C63 mufflers, Eurocharge headders and a eurocharge tune.

With regards to the supercharger oil I've done a search and some people are saying that they've gone to change it and there was hardly any oil in there. There isn't anywhere for this oil to go so the consensus is that it evaporated away. Does this Mobil Jet Oil 2 evaporate away?

Mobil Jet II is a good oil but there are CI turbine oils - may be something to consider. Royco 899 is Corrosion Inhibiting and is available in pints.

Mobil AGL would be suitable as well, a little thicker and specifically designed for high speed gearboxes. Don't know where you'd find it in small quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back