finding truck specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
have been looking at buying a 2017 Nissan Frontier. finding meaning full specs is NOT easy. of course an old guy like me wants to know the Cubic Inch of the engine. so iam forced to convert 4.0 L to 244. Cubic in. but very few places will list 0-60 times. or 1/4 mile. after spending 3 hr i finaly found what i wanted. OPPS i still dont know the gear ratios in the 5 sp auto trans.

Probably the same for the last 10-12 years, you can likely just look back for older years too. I think it's the same truck.

That truck is very dated, going back to 2005 and doesn't have good owner satisfaction.
For what little they will take off a 2017 compared to when it sold new, you can get a more efficient,
faster F150 for less money NEW with how much dealers take off sticker.

Much better going with a chevy or ford. Toyota and Nissan trucks are boring and dated

There's something with conservative design on a utility vehicle but I agree, hope you get it cheap.

Toyotas are good quality
Nissan is the world's largest truck maker for years now and well into the future
Fords enjoy red, white and blue bunting and Ford guys walk around saying, "They didn't take a bail-out"
Chevy/GMC trucks just rust.

That's all there is to know.

thanks kneegrinder for the trans ratios. i think i got a good deal on the truck. but ill not post what price i payed. cause i dont work on cars any more the warranty was important to me. i think cause that platform has been around a while makes me think getting parts and repairs will work out good. i do NOT care about style.

Am I seriously reading whining about simple math for unit conversions?

The average idiot doesn’t want to know a lot of detail.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Toyotas are good quality
Nissan is the world's largest truck maker for years now and well into the future
Fords enjoy red, white and blue bunting and Ford guys walk around saying, "They didn't take a bail-out"
Chevy/GMC trucks just rust.

That's all there is to know.

American companies have to be extremely competitive in the truck market or they are toast, that's all they are good at besides muscle cars. Toyota and Nissan make amazing trucks and sell them everywhere except Canada and the USA.

Those trucks have a tremendous turnover.
No one ever explains why. My neighbor just bought one because he said he could no longer afford
a new Chevy. Of course he is 82.
I believe the turn over is the owners think the mpg will be better than a half ton and it isn't.
I had two of them myself and one was a Datsun.

I had a 93.5 hardbody 4WD new and it got 19 mpg on the Interstate and people were shocked with a 5sp.
The tires were 33 inchers. They are what they are.

Originally Posted By: red7404
have been looking at buying a 2017 Nissan Frontier. finding meaning full specs is NOT easy. of course an old guy like me wants to know the Cubic Inch of the engine. so iam forced to convert 4.0 L to 244. Cubic in. but very few places will list 0-60 times. or 1/4 mile. after spending 3 hr i finaly found what i wanted. OPPS i still dont know the gear ratios in the 5 sp auto trans.

My father-in-law picked up an ex-rental 2017 Frontier SV 4x4, crew cab a few months ago. They have a great tow rating for a 'small' truck due to 4.10 gears in them. Something like 6200lbs. It's a nice truck with a powertrain that's been around a long time. Easily DIY serviceable 5spd trans, differentials, T-case, etc. They have a strong box frame on them as well.

The bads are an annoyingly huge turning radius and the fact they get full sized truck fuel economy. My 2017 Ram in my sig averages 24mpg tank to tank, while the Frontier is lucky to see 18mpg. Turning radius is way tighter on the Ram as well. Bad thing with my Ram is the 3.21 gears. It's only rated to tow something ridiculous like 4200lbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Those trucks have a tremendous turnover.
No one ever explains why. My neighbor just bought one because he said he could no longer afford
a new Chevy. Of course he is 82.
I believe the turn over is the owners think the mpg will be better than a half ton and it isn't.
I had two of them myself and one was a Datsun.

I had a 93.5 hardbody 4WD new and it got 19 mpg on the Interstate and people were shocked with a 5sp.
The tires were 33 inchers. They are what they are.

I work with a guy that had one of those-Nissan Hardbody 4x4 XE V6, also 5-speed, factory 31" tires. I recall he got about the same mileage, probably due to very deep (I think 4.56) axle gears and an underpowered, overworked 12-valve V6.

my whinging centers around if you want to sell me something post the specs in MY language. iam WAY TO old to learn metric.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: red7404

My father-in-law picked up an ex-rental 2017 Frontier SV 4x4, crew cab a few months ago. They have a great tow rating for a 'small' truck due to 4.10 gears in them. Something like 6200lbs. It's a nice truck with a powertrain that's been around a long time. Easily DIY serviceable 5spd trans, differentials, T-case, etc. They have a strong box frame on them as well.

The bads are an annoyingly huge turning radius and the fact they get full sized truck fuel economy. My 2017 Ram in my sig averages 24mpg tank to tank, while the Frontier is lucky to see 18mpg. Turning radius is way tighter on the Ram as well. Bad thing with my Ram is the 3.21 gears. It's only rated to tow something ridiculous like 4200lbs.

No 4.10 gears. His most likely is a 3.31 ratio. 6 speed manual 2wd trucks have a 3.55. Manual Pro4x trucks have a 3.69 ratio which is the lowest in Any 2nd gen Frontier.
The folks saying they are bad have never had extended seat time in them. They are great trucks for their price point. Plenty of power and while MPG isn’t class leading they aren’t all that bad on the hwy. I always got over 22 mpg on road trips in my old 2012 6 speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Honestly, it takes me a very long time to go from liters to cu. in. Operating in the metric side is just easier for me... but oh well, others are different.

With a ratio of 61:1, it is nor the easiest of top-of-the-head math.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Honestly, it takes me a very long time to go from liters to cu. in. Operating in the metric side is just easier for me... but oh well, others are different.

With a ratio of 61:1, it is nor the easiest of top-of-the-head math.

Just round, it's not like you need the exact number here. I mean, who cares what the exact displacement is? What's the peak hp and is the torque curve flat, and what is the mpg. I don't care if they use a 1L or 10L engine, 200+hp and 30+mpg in a normal sized car, or 300+hp and 20+mpg in a half-ton is what I like to hear. Err, make that 8L/100km and 12L/100km... Now that's a metric that I have not taken a shine to, fuel economy in a reciprocal manner to what we are used to.

Originally Posted By: supton
Just round, it's not like you need the exact number here. I mean, who cares what the exact displacement is? What's the peak hp and is the torque curve flat, and what is the mpg. I don't care if they use a 1L or 10L engine, 200+hp and 30+mpg in a normal sized car, or 300+hp and 20+mpg in a half-ton is what I like to hear. Err, make that 8L/100km and 12L/100km... Now that's a metric that I have not taken a shine to, fuel economy in a reciprocal manner to what we are used to.

Ha, well, 61 is rounding... normally it is just me trying to figure out what the Dodge owner has underneath the sticker package. +/- a few inches is important to those folks. I think only Dodge holds onto using cubic inches for "marketing" purposes... although Ford, GM, and even other FCA products (like Jeep) use liters for the most part. Have you every heard of a Jeep with a 244?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back