Fram Extra Guard @30k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I put in a Fram Extra Guard filter in the Sonata 18 months and 30k miles ago when I bought it. Owners manual says to change every 30k so I ordered a Wix, the Fram had quite a bit of junk in it, styrofoam and leaves. Also just drove through several dust storms.

2n9jl06.jpg

fof694.jpg

2igouc4.jpg

vpz1w2.jpg

looks like it did a good job. Wait are those holes on the bottom of the pleats near the center black rib?

Last edited:
Have one of those in the Matrix with about 1 year and 17k on it. It looked like a nice filter when I bought it. Like the rubber gasket that seals with a nice fit. Unlike a ton of other filters I looked at elsewhere. This or oem would be my choices unless ordering online.

When I saw the title on the left, I thought someone had the stones to run an oil filter 30k.

Should have known better with the makeup of this site.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I put in a Fram Extra Guard filter in the Sonata 18 months and 30k miles ago when I bought it. Owners manual says to change every 30k so I ordered a Wix, the Fram had quite a bit of junk in it, styrofoam and leaves. Also just drove through several dust storms.

2n9jl06.jpg

It was just getting to the 100% efficiency rating why change now?

Last edited:
omg; why would yo wait that long

Our CRVs after 15K; my Mazdas was more of the same; I replace them anyway every 15K

Where's the air intake on those? Looks like its an inch off the road in the gutter? I guess you guys get more super dry weather with everything blowing around. I don't think my air filters would have that much stuff in them in 300k miles.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
looks like it did a good job. Wait are those holes on the bottom of the pleats near the center black rib?

It’s just an illusion from the picture, no tears.

Here’s the actual dust storm I drove in for 30 miles on Thursday. They blow all sorts of stuff all around. I also work in a more industrial part of Phoenix.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It was definitely time. Does that car have a cabin air filter?
Yes I replaced it in May for maximum air flow for the summer. It had been 1 year and 20k miles and was really dirty.

The engine is also quite a bit throatier sounding with the new filter. No difference in performance, just deeper and louder sound.

That technically means it's breathing better. Performance wise it could be 5hp. Not something dramatic but an increase in efficiency nonetheless.

Nick, O/T but what do those dust storms do to the A/C unit and your property in general? Is everything covered in dirt? We've had left overs get this far north from a couple of those but all we get is hazy air for a while.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Nick, O/T but what do those dust storms do to the A/C unit and your property in general? Is everything covered in dirt? We've had left overs get this far north from a couple of those but all we get is hazy air for a while.
I rinse out the A/C unit once a year, some chocolate milk comes out. Surprisingly not as bad as you'd think on everything else. Evaporative coolers get nasty inside.

The one Thursday night there was a car driving down the road and most of the dust had settled, you could see the dirt they drove through flowed in the air like driving through water.

The worst is when a dust storm rolls through and we get about 10 seconds of rain at night, the car turns to a mess. This picture is from 7/9, I had just washed the Sonata.

qno2dk.jpg

I take back what I said about the louder noise with the new air filter.

Turns out I didn't put the air filter cover back on all the way... Nice and quiet now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back