Capless type gas fillers on Cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So most people know by now that Fords went to the capless style..

My 19 cherokee also has capless.

I get hundreds of gallons of "free" gas yearly.

Apparently its a bad idea to use a siphon hose to fill your tank.

Dealer charges 2hours of labor to fix.
that was unacceptable. so after getting thoroughly irritated trying to get it out for 5min.. mainly because I was melting in the sun.. sweated through my clothes in
I went inside to watch.. youtube videos. Apparently if you have a long enough piece of slightly bent rod.. about the side of a 1/2" drive extension.. you can cut the hose off and it works.

Well I was having no luck with that.. I even sawed and bent another rod I had but it wouldnt work.

ENTER the 5$ inspection mirror I bought 10 years ago... and used maybe once.

about 5 secs of jiggling later... success.

I cant stress how stuck this was.. no amount of twisting or pulling would be successful.. think of those Chinese finger torture toys

PS all the gas cans are empty... full ones get stored in my shed
smile.gif

So you "get" free gas at other's expense??? Or, Are you putting gas in your lawn mowers. Or, something I'm missing???

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Didn't your Jeep come with a funnel? All the Fords do.

Should have a funnel with new car stuff as ones i see at my work all have a small funnel
smile.gif

Didn't your Jeep come with a funnel? All the Fords do.

The funnel has a 3" piece that gets inserted. and aprox 2" cup that sits at a 45degree angle and holds about 3oz of fuel.. it also doesnt stay in place and rockets out if you arent pressing on it.

Unless I'm missing something its a total pain in the butt. The gas filler opening has a picture of a funnel that doesnt look remotely close to the one that came with my jeep.

"free" fuel is from Giant Eagle perks.. for example right now they are giving away 1$ off on gas if you watch their 5 Barb-IQ grilling videos(takes 15-20min)

Then of course there is double perks on gift cards to home depot etc. Pretty easy to stack up "free" fuel.

And of course you always want to get the max 30 gallons.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
So you "get" free gas at other's expense??? Or, Are you putting gas in your lawn mowers. Or, something I'm missing???

Fuel perks from grocery stores is my guess. When filling up the Jeep he fills up a bunch of empty gas cans. The rules say one fill up per vehicle. So no piggy backing behind others.

The Ford ones click in and stay in. Opens up the flapper so you can add whatever you want to add.

That would be nice.. here are some pics to enlighten everyone here how fail this is. (I still might be missing something I guess).

Funnel

Funnel inserted you have to hold it quite firmly or it shoots out.. as in launches across room...

Funnel where it is only holding 1 flapper open.. cant add gas has to be inserted more.

You can use the funnel and insert a transmission funnel into it.. then pour into it.. but its a huge pain.. esp if you are trying to add 5-10gallons.. and you need about 4 arms/hands.

The funnel they show on the gas door is 100% different than that nearly worthless thing I actually received with vehicle.

Originally Posted By: oldhp

it wasnt "get" free gas I call it "free" gas because its not truely free you have to purchase hundreds of dollars in groceries or gift cards to get the "free" gas.

you can get 30gallons.. car holds 14.5gal if you take it in on fumes.. therefore you usually end up with 15-20gallons in cans.

What you dont see in the first picture is a 5 gallon gas can on top of my trash can. The siphon hose sucks the gas out of the can and into my car in about 3-5 min and no spills or splashing.

Help me out here. You're getting "free gas" from grocery purchases, etc. OK, I get that. But what's with the stuck siphon hose?? Why would you fill your tank any different with "free gas", than you do when you pay for it normally? Why the cans? Why not just wait until your tank is empty, then fill up and get the whole amount in one shot? My 2015 Jeep came with both a cap less fill port, and a funnel. Which I've used several times to add fuel additives and such. No problem in using it. Why were you shoving a hose down into the tank?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Help me out here. You're getting "free gas" from grocery purchases, etc. OK, I get that. But what's with the stuck siphon hose?? Why would you fill your tank any different with "free gas", than you do when you pay for it normally? My 2015 Jeep came with both a cap less fill port, and a funnel. Which I've used several times to add fuel additives and such. No problem in using it. Why were you shoving a hose down into the tank?

Question.. if someone told you.

you can have 15gallons of free gas or 30 gallons of free gas.. which would you want?

the extra gas is in cans. The jeep funnel is terrible.. did you skip half the posts? I explained most of that in them.

Here is the diagram on the filler door.. I'm wondering where the other 6" of funnel is?

I'm not understanding how you can think you could shove a soft hose down the throat of a cap less filler neck, and not get it stuck? Those things are tight when you stick a steel nozzle into them. And they can be difficult to withdraw. They're designed that way. The funnels are not designed for a "fill up". They're designed to add a few ounces of additive. Or a gallon if you should be foolish enough to run out.

Buy a funnel that works "better" for your scenario. As mentioned, the mini-funnel isn't meant for 5, 10, or more gallons of gas, it's meant for if/when you run out of gas on the side of the road and have to add fuel with a gas can. It's for a 1/2 gallon, 1 gallon, etc - just enough to get you to a gas station.

Is there a quick release near the fuel rail you can use to pump the fuel out with? I do that to beaters before they go to the junkyard, and have the tools on standby in case a hurricane etc leads me to a siege situation.

Originally Posted By: car51
Rand: unlike some posters in thread I understand what you mean. Thanks for clarification sir
smile.gif

Me too
Giant here does not offer the gas deal
frown.gif

I think you need a shim, to slide down the jiggler hose then slide both back up.
I'm thinking a metal slat from an old window shade.
Aluminum mini-blinds comes to mind (you know, spark proof).

If you quit buying overpriced groceries at Giant Eagle you wouldn't have to try and reclaim your money by hauling around gas cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back