Pulled valve cover from the 1978 chevy nova I6 manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the valve cover to replace the gasket to stop a bad leak and it has either been took extremely good care of or had a recent head job done.
It is spotless car and engine has 139,600 on it.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Made during the Malaise period. Likely a mid week production.

?

He hates "GovMo" and unions, so clearly a good car couldn't have been built on a Monday when the union guys were hungover from the weekend or Friday when they started drinking on the job in anticipation of the weekend.
smirk.gif

You know, cause that's what American workers do...

?

Check out some stories during that time. Cars were junk back then. Rusting on the showroom floor, missing parts, on and on. It was a bad time for the American auto manufacturers not to mention the economy was in the dumps.

?

Check out some stories during that time. Cars were junk back then. Rusting on the showroom floor, missing parts, on and on. It was a bad time for the American auto manufacturers not to mention the economy was in the dumps.

The imports were just as bad, the American manufacturers just had the misfortune of selling more. Not all were bad...

?

Thank you i heard auto's where bad in the 70's but this car seems ok.

Those intregal head 6-cyl engines were known to crack heads. There is a very good possibly that's the heads been of. My dads 76 camaro had 18 pins in the head and we had it off 6 times before we scrapped the car.

Yes, to be clear this engine looks great. The old Chevy sixes were very nice motors.

I apologize derailing the thread. That period of the 70’s and early 80’s was very hard on a lot of folks. If you weren’t born yet I suggest some reading.

Not bad.

And cars were different then than they are today. Thank computers, better metals, corrosion treatments, tighter tolerances, better oils etc....heck I remember cars blowing blue smoke all the time and actually needing valve jobs!

But... but.... why do the geezers call them “the good old days”?

I’m pretty sure that’s the same model I was conceived in. That, or a ‘73 Chevrolet with a 307. Neither one is paticularly inspiring
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude

?

He hates "GovMo" and unions, so clearly a good car couldn't have been built on a Monday when the union guys were hungover from the weekend or Friday when they started drinking on the job in anticipation of the weekend.
smirk.gif

You know, cause that's what American workers do...

I have been told by several auto workers that drinking on their breaks in the parking lot was very common every day.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have been told by several auto workers that drinking on their breaks in the parking lot was very common every day.

What would any of that nonsense have to do with a spotless, well maintained engine after being driven close to 140,000 miles?

?

Would something from Japan or Germany have been better in terms of quality?
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back