Need Advice ASAP best tablet for field work under $200

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to outfit five of my investigators with tablets. I have $1210 to spend, including shipping. MiFi cards will be provided by other budget money. I know zilch about tablets other than they're either Apple or Android. Usage will be mainly in a car, typing up search warrant affidavits and such at crime scenes, and using cellular data plan to VPN into their desktop workstation at HQ to access our records management software and etc. All of our uniform fleet has mct mobile terminals (Toughbooks or whatever) but Detective unmarked's don't and tablet via data plan seems could be a shortcut to enable some connectivity to the HQ software and network while in the field.

I just need brand and model name or number to give to Purchasing to gather three vendor quotes x 5 to try and get in under $1210. Physical keyboard pad that folds out as part of bifold tablet case would be awesome if could fit five of those into the money but might be wishful thinking.

I have to spend this by end of August. Local law enforcement assistance funding from Federal agency. Thanks if anyone that knows tablets can advise.
cool.gif

Use swappa.com and purchase 5 samsung tab s2 or tab s3 tablets in 8 inch size.
Filter available units by Mint condition.

Cases can be purchased from Walmart or Amazon for about 10/each.

My Fire department/city purchased Samsung's tablets to be mounted in the fire trucks for incident tracking and I got 3 for my deputy fire marshals as well for inspection and investigation. Android worked best for the city servers that ran crystal something or another software. Same model is like 79 dollars at bestbuy right now leaving plenty for mounts and accessories. It's just word processing so they didn't have to be gaming quality.

My only advice is buy something brand name and not chinese.

Also I'd consider tablets with built in LTE vs buying mifi unless you have other considerations.

Originally Posted By: henni
Use swappa.com and purchase 5 samsung tab s2 or tab s3 tablets in 8 inch size.
Filter available units by Mint condition.

Cases can be purchased from Walmart or Amazon for about 10/each.

Can only turn in choice to city Purchasing, they do the vendor stuff and buy from lowest quote. Government work ...
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I need to outfit five of my investigators with tablets. I have $1210 to spend, including shipping. MiFi cards will be provided by other budget money. I know zilch about tablets other than they're either Apple or Android. Usage will be mainly in a car, typing up search warrant affidavits and such at crime scenes, and using cellular data plan to VPN into their desktop workstation at HQ to access our records management software and etc. All of our uniform fleet has mct mobile terminals (Toughbooks or whatever) but Detective unmarked's don't and tablet via data plan seems could be a shortcut to enable some connectivity to the HQ software and network while in the field.

I just need brand and model name or number to give to Purchasing to gather three vendor quotes x 5 to try and get in under $1210. Physical keyboard pad that folds out as part of bifold tablet case would be awesome if could fit five of those into the money but might be wishful thinking.

I have to spend this by end of August. Local law enforcement assistance funding from Federal agency. Thanks if anyone that knows tablets can advise.
cool.gif

Ever try calling other Departments for advise?

well, $1210/5 = $242

Go to bestbuy dot com, search for "4g lte tablet", order by price lowest to highest, and you get some tablets around $200.

Originally Posted By: Rand
My only advice is buy something brand name and not chinese.

Also I'd consider tablets with built in LTE vs buying mifi unless you have other considerations.

99.9% of tablets, computer, and electronics are made in China, including all iphones. Good luck finding something not Chinese.

Before you buy, Make sure you understand what kind of software you need to connect to headquarters. That will dictate your specifications and what you can or cannot use. Just from what you described, a Chromebook may be your best choice.

Good luck.

I have been looking hard at a Lenovo Tab4 10" 32g. They are currently $149 down from $179 last week.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

cool.gif

Ever try calling other Departments for advise?

This is a good idea. Find out what the other guys are using and how they like or dislike them.

Originally Posted By: AVB
I have been looking hard at a Lenovo Tab4 10" 32g. They are currently $149 down from $179 last week.

That is the exact model I just turned in to Purchasing to check up on earlier today. I have our I.T. people in the loop to make sure an Android tablet can do a VPN connection via LTE data in to the city/county secure network, and that Android has something similar to Remote Desktop (Windows).

Talk to others already using them to see what they recommend. Sometimes we have our favorite but it is incompatible with certain software or data plan. This is the case where recommendation by current users are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back