2018 Audi S4 4.5k mi Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

I apologize for the orientation of the sample. If someone wants to correct it that would be super helpful as I don't know how.

Here is a factory fill of a 2018 Audi S4 that has the EA839 series 3.0 TFSI V6. This engine runs on the B cycle (similar to Miller Cycle) and requires Audi's (VW's) new 0w-20 508.00 spec. Its supposed to be (more on that in a minute) filled with Castrol Edge Professional LL IV. The sump holds 7.7 quarts.

This is my wife's car so it gets driven 22 miles round trip to work each day. The car only sees city driving until I can get the PPF put on so it can see the highway and be protected from rock chips. The car does have a factory oil cooler on it. The highest I've ever seen the oil get is 220 F and usually hovers around the 208-215 F. I feel like that's very good considering were down in Dallas with 100+ temps lately. The car is not driven very aggressively but see's full throttle a few times a week and at least half throttle runs up to 3-4K just about every day. My wife knows to wait until the oil temp gets up to 180 F before she starts getting on it. The car does get to temp relatively quickly and only needs around 3-4 miles to get there.

I was really excited to see this sample as the 508 is a fairly new spec and no one seems to know much about it. I took this sample to see if I should dump it early and get it changed. The first oil change is free by the way. The oil change interval for this vehicle is 1 year or every 10K miles. I originally felt this too long to wait, especially on a FF, but now I'm not so sure. Either way its not going to see close to the 10k interval and will most likely get changed around the 6.5K mark.

The car will be a year old in 3 months. As you can tell other then driven to work or the occasional mall/gym run, it isn't driven a lot. We take my Jeep when we need to go somewhere together.

Some interesting notes. I said supposed to be filled with Castrol Edge Professional but now I'm not so sure. Right on the bottle it says with "Titanium" which is a staple of Castrol. Well this sample shows a big zero for Titanium. Not sure what that's all about.

The iron seems high even for break in but I'll let the experts chime in. I do know Audi/VW tend to have higher iron counts compared to most other brands though.

Aluminum seems good.

Copper as noted is higher due to an oil cooler.

Everything else seems pretty good I think?

The one thing that really strikes me is the TBN. I almost think that has to be wrong.

Anyway sorry for the orientation of the sample and really excited to see what you guys have to say about it.

I am also surprised by the TBN given the lack of magnesium, low to mid level of calcium, and the mileage on the oil...however, I understand that TBN can also be raised by organic additives that will not show up on a UOA.
Looks like this should be an LSPI-resistant oil...do you know offhand if the FF is supposed to be dexos2 compliant? I understand that you have doubts about what is actually in the sump...

BTW, that must be a fun ride. Boss has a similar engine in his A6 and I'm sure it really makes the smaller S4 really move!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I am also surprised by the TBN given the lack of magnesium, low to mid level of calcium, and the mileage on the oil...however, I understand that TBN can also be raised by organic additives that will not show up on a UOA.
Looks like this should be an LSPI-resistant oil...do you know offhand if the FF is supposed to be dexos2 compliant? I understand that you have doubts about what is actually in the sump...

BTW, that must be a fun ride. Boss has a similar engine in his A6 and I'm sure it really makes the smaller S4 really move!

I think your right this oil has additives that just aren't going to show up in a UOA.

As of right now the oil certifications this particular oil carries is VW 508.00 and Porsche C20. That doesn't mean it couldn't be used in a Dexos2 application but I suppose I wouldn't for warranty reasons. People have been using European oils in domestic applications for years with great success though.

Your boss has the previous generation of this motor which a lot of people like better then this one. Your bosses has the positive displacement supercharger on it and this one is turbocharged. People rip on the new B9 S4 because of throttle response compared to the B8/8.5 instant throttle response. With that being said I also have GTO and Z06 with the LS2 and LS6 motor and this turbocharged motor has very good throttle response. It will never match the throttle tip in of a positive displacement supercharger but its very good.

I had a 2014 S5 with the supercharged 3.0L. Great car and lots of fun and no way it was only 333hp and 325 lb-ft.

That thing was a rocket and felt more like 400hp.

Last edited:
Good to see this. I have a VW Tiguan with a 2.0 B cycle. Uses the same oil. Good results here and will be interested to see your next uoa. I’ll be doing 5-7.5k changes I think.

I just seen a UOA for a 2018 SQ5 and it also showed no Titanium. I used Edge gold 0w40 a few years ago on my 370Z and it showed 41ppm of Ti. So i don't know what to think about this new Castrol oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Is manual strictly saying VW508.00/509.00 or it allows VW 502.00?
In Germany that engine is strictly recommended for VW502.00.

Here we go.

Originally Posted By: BrandonT
I just seen a UOA for a 2018 SQ5 and it also showed no Titanium. I used Edge gold 0w40 a few years ago on my 370Z and it showed 41ppm of Ti. So i don't know what to think about this new Castrol oil.

It is quite funny that there is no Ti in this sample considering the bottle has with "Titanium" written on it. Unless the FF isn't the Castrol Edge Professional LL IV...…

Do you have the SQ5 UOA available? Would like to compare it.

This is what the owners manual says:

0 Note
Your Limited New Vehicle Warranty does not
cover damage or malfunctions due to failure
to follow recommended maintenance and use
requirements as set forth in the Audi Owner's
Manual and Warranty & Maintenance booklet.
- Use only a high quality engine oil t hat expressly
complies with the Audi oil quality
standard specified for your vehicle's engine .
Using any other oil can cause serious engine
damage .
- Do not mix any lubricants or other additives
into the engine oil. Doing so can cause engine
damage.
(D Tips
If you need to add oil and there is none available
that meets the Audi oil quality standard
your engine requires, you may add a total of
no more than 0.5 qt (0.5 l) of a high-quality
"synthetic" oil that meets the following specifications.
- Vehicles with gasoline engine: ACEA A3 or
API SM with a viscosity grade of SAE OW-30,
SAE 5W-30 or SAE 5W-40.

- Vehicles with diesel engine: ACEA C3 or
API CF with a viscosity grade of SAE OW-30
or SAE 5W-30 .
- For more information about engine oil that
has been approved for your vehicle, please
contact either your authorized Audi dealer
or Audi Customer Relations at

For what its worth the tag under the hood says something along the lines of "Use 508.00 oil only"

While I know you love to disagree with vw 508 oils they are required and stated as such in the manual. This is a good IPA, so let's have some faith.

The lack of titanium doesn’t surprise me since a dealer service fill can be different from the factory fill even when the same brand and grade is used.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
This is a good IPA, so let's have some faith.

I wonder if they use hallertauer hops in the factory fill?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
The lack of titanium doesn’t surprise me since a dealer service fill can be different from the factory fill even when the same brand and grade is used.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
This is a good IPA, so let's have some faith.

I wonder if they use hallertauer hops in the factory fill?
grin2.gif

That's the thing this is a factory fill. I guess the next step would be to get a VOA of the Castrol Edge Professional LL IV. If the factory isn't filling it with Castrol Edge Professional LL IV that has TITANIUM written in huge letters on it, then what are they filling it with? What other 0w-20 does VW have on hand?

Originally Posted By: Vigg
That's the thing this is a factory fill. I guess the next step would be to get a VOA of the Castrol Edge Professional LL IV. If the factory isn't filling it with Castrol Edge Professional LL IV that has TITANIUM written in huge letters on it, then what are they filling it with? What other 0w-20 does VW have on hand?

It's entirely possible that VW's FF is a bulk/proprietary blend, not available as a retail product, they use solely for factory fills. Castrol could be supplying them with a cheaper oil without titanium in bulk that still meets 508.

It is quite funny that there is no Ti in this sample considering the bottle has with "Titanium" written on it. Unless the FF isn't the Castrol Edge Professional LL IV...…

Do you have the SQ5 UOA available? Would like to compare it.

This is what the owners manual says:

0 Note
Your Limited New Vehicle Warranty does not
cover damage or malfunctions due to failure
to follow recommended maintenance and use
requirements as set forth in the Audi Owner's
Manual and Warranty & Maintenance booklet.
- Use only a high quality engine oil t hat expressly
complies with the Audi oil quality
standard specified for your vehicle's engine .
Using any other oil can cause serious engine
damage .
- Do not mix any lubricants or other additives
into the engine oil. Doing so can cause engine
damage.
(D Tips
If you need to add oil and there is none available
that meets the Audi oil quality standard
your engine requires, you may add a total of
no more than 0.5 qt (0.5 l) of a high-quality
"synthetic" oil that meets the following specifications.
- Vehicles with gasoline engine: ACEA A3 or
API SM with a viscosity grade of SAE OW-30,
SAE 5W-30 or SAE 5W-40.

- Vehicles with diesel engine: ACEA C3 or
API CF with a viscosity grade of SAE OW-30
or SAE 5W-30 .
- For more information about engine oil that
has been approved for your vehicle, please
contact either your authorized Audi dealer
or Audi Customer Relations at

For what its worth the tag under the hood says something along the lines of "Use 508.00 oil only"

Oh well.
In EU OCI on that engine is 15k km, so shorter then here using VW 502.00.
I guess Germans started to bet that all their cars are ending up in suburbia.

Couple UOA from new SQ5's: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/sq5-oil-analysis-2940685/

Thanks for posting those. I reviewed them and it appears that mine shows to be the same wear for half the miles give or take. Maybe all my wear metals happened early and I'm slowly playing catch up? Just a little concerning that mine aren't substantial lower then theirs? Not to throw a wrench into anything but now there is a thread on another Audi forum with a few cases of blown motors. An Audi service tech is starting to believe it could be because of the thin 0w-20. They had a number 5 rod bearing spun and commented that the rod bearing clearance of .0015 seemed a little large for a 0w-20 oil. Any comments to this?

Couple UOA from new SQ5's: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/sq5-oil-analysis-2940685/

Thanks for posting those. I reviewed them and it appears that mine shows to be the same wear for half the miles give or take. Maybe all my wear metals happened early and I'm slowly playing catch up? Just a little concerning that mine aren't substantial lower then theirs? Not to throw a wrench into anything but now there is a thread on another Audi forum with a few cases of blown motors. An Audi service tech is starting to believe it could be because of the thin 0w-20. They had a number 5 rod bearing spun and commented that the rod bearing clearance of .0015 seemed a little large for a 0w-20 oil. Any comments to this?

Egads! Got a link?

Egads! Got a link?

https://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/315-B9-S4-RS4

I cant post the direct link as its failing to attach the specific thread for some reason. Look for the B9 S4 Blown Motor! thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back