Toyota TCMC Premium Brake Pads

This is a new line of brake pads from Toyota for non-warranty brake jobs. Most part numbers list for $55 and can be purchased on eBay for around $45 shipped. TCMC Premium Pads are made by Advics and do not include shim kits. More info below:

Most factory-original Toyota brake pads are in the $55-$70 MSRP range, so there is no reason to purchase these. However there are some applications (early to mid 2000's Corolla/Camry/Prius) where the factory pads retail for $100+, so I see these pads being a viable alternative if they work as advertised.

Last edited:
I see the clothes washer in the background. I guess you like 'em squeaky clean before installing. Me, I'd use a dishwasher instead, I don't like the tumbling action of a clothes washer.

I thought Toyota had a line for non-warranty brake pads already? Is this in addition to those?

Timely reminder. My Camry is coming up on new pad&rotor time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Andy636
Why bother...EBC Ultimax II, easy on the rotors, long lasting GG rating

I have yet to like for my driving style, any GG CoF rated brake that I have ever used. Initial stopping feel doesn't work well for my normal type of driving. They may be better if I were braking harder all the time but, I'm not.

GG's may also work better than FF CoF pads if I were doing lots of downhill stopping which may overheat the FF's and/or warp rotors. I did in fact put GG's on the Mazda3 in my signature however this car is/was driven regularly in the hilly parts of PA where there is lots of downhill stopping going on. Stopping feel is still only OK:)/) but the rotor warpage has been definitely been reduced after 1 yr of driving. When will the rotors start to warp in this application is anyone's guess...1 yr/18mo/2 yrs?

Any rotor(Front) for this Mazda has only lasted ~ 15-18 months before needing replacement due to warpage/brake pulsation be the rotors cheap or expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Is there any advantage to these over the standard Advics (non Toyota labeled) pads? Like these that include the shim.

https://europortparts.com/catalog/product/view/id/179302

The backing plates are stamped a bit nicer in comparison to the Advics aftermarket pads:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232108641904

The friction formula is also different; the 5-digit number start with the VC prefix is different for the Toyota version. There is no info to conclusively say which one is better though.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what does toyota say is reason for new product?

Ford and Mazda have this too, it is to compete with the aftermarket since OE pads tend to cost more than what people want to spend. I know Nissan has a similar deal since they have sent them to us.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Andy636
Why bother...EBC Ultimax II, easy on the rotors, long lasting GG rating

I have yet to like for my driving style, any GG CoF rated brake that I have ever used. Initial stopping feel doesn't work well for my normal type of driving. They may be better if I were braking harder all the time but, I'm not.

GG's may also work better than FF CoF pads if I were doing lots of downhill stopping which may overheat the FF's and/or warp rotors. I did in fact put GG's on the Mazda3 in my signature however this car is/was driven regularly in the hilly parts of PA where there is lots of downhill stopping going on. Stopping feel is still only OK:)/) but the rotor warpage has been definitely been reduced after 1 yr of driving. When will the rotors start to warp in this application is anyone's guess...1 yr/18mo/2 yrs?

Any rotor(Front) for this Mazda has only lasted ~ 15-18 months before needing replacement due to warpage/brake pulsation be the rotors cheap or expensive.

I know where you are coming from...My dad's van is rated for 720 KG cargo but he loads it up above that. The manufacturer had the brainfart of just slapping the brakes from a compact car to a van. With the original FE pads you never knew what to expect from the brakes. An OEM set of pads would give out the ghost at 30k Km top and the rotors lasted 3 sets of pads.

I got the baseline EBC pads and rotors at about 80K Km. Now the van is 200K on the 2nd set of Ultimax pads and the rotors look great. Stopping power is there and you don't need to stomp on the brake pedal anymore. I've tried a lot of reputable brands that disappointed me such as Bosch, Lucas, ATE...

I think a pad like Raybestos EHT's, AkeBono ProAct or even a Duralast Gold pad would be a better choice and cost less.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The Duralast Gold are pretty crummy pads from what I remember of them, same as that house brand trash AA sells.

That's because MAT/Roulunds makes them in their Indian or Chinese plants - they also bought out the rights to the Bendix name for North America from Honeywell. BrakeBest was made by Bosch, it's now Roulunds as well.

It seems like MAT has contracts with AutoZone/O'Reilly/AA-Carquest but in a strange twist Worldpac's WBR pads are made in China by another firm that has no ties to MAT/Roulunds.

Would you say the new TCMC pads ending with "AZ" are a lesser quality product than the factory pads? I am looking at 04466-AZ109 (Advics, MSRP $49.00) and 04466-0E010 (Akebono, MSRP $67.50) specifically. Is there any way to tell what pad material they are? Which one would you buy?

Toyota TCMC Brakes

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Originally Posted by NASTI
Would you say the new TCMC pads ending with "AZ" are a lesser quality product than the factory pads? I am looking at 04466-AZ109 (Advics, MSRP $49.00) and 04466-0E010 (Akebono, MSRP $67.50) specifically. Is there any way to tell what pad material they are? Which one would you buy?

Toyota TCMC Brakes

I have used a few sets of the -AZ1xx pads with no issues. However, if cost allows, I would use the -0E010 pads since they are the factory originals.

I currently have on Sienna EBC green stuff as well on my Land Cruiser Prado in Europe. Reason is that Toyota brakes are absolute garbage if one requires from them just bit more than average soccer mom usually does.
So, how are these? Did you try them?

Originally Posted by tbm5690
I'm a huge fan of Akebono and haven't had any issues with making that choice every time.

Same here. Have installed at least a dozen sets on six different vehicles.

Originally Posted by artbuc
Originally Posted by tbm5690
I'm a huge fan of Akebono and haven't had any issues with making that choice every time.

Same here. Have installed at least a dozen sets on six different vehicles.

I still prefer OE whenever possible, but I also have not seen any significant differences in performance or durability between Akebono's and less expensive pads.

The Akebono GG rated Street Performance brake pads are legitimately better in terms of braking performance in my opinion. Part number ASP 815.

Going from 100 mph+ down to 50 mph it is a good bit better than any other brake pad I have had one my car.

Way better than the AAP FF premium brake pads that I just had on my car.

And a good bit better than the AZ FF rated performance pads on there before that.

Back