M1 HM 5W-30, Castrol Edge 0W-40 - 8000 kms - Volvo XC70 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a second oil analysis done on my 2008 Volvo XC70 with the 3.2l inline 6 cylinder engine.

The first go around with this car was discussed in this thread

As noted there I had a pretty high iron reading that had me a bit worried, and I took some steps to see what I could /actively/ do about it. I also tested at a much lower interval this time. I also experienced a fuel system related problem/breakdown during the time this oil was in. I took some additional notes to send along with the sample:

I actually reported the wrong oil on my oil slip (I reported the Penzoil that is in the car NOW rather than the M1/Castrol mix that was actually tested) so I 'corrected' the oil report for posting here. I will call/email them to make the change in their records and ask for any updates given the new oil type reported (prob nothing).

Still lots of iron but maybe that will come down even more. Looks like lots of TBN left also.

Thanks for the question - the mix of oils was just because of availability.

I already had the Castrol and bought the Mobil-1 specifically for the oil change.

I would prefer to use a 0W but my temp ranges (down to -30C/-22F on occasion) should still be ok for a 5W based on my owner's manual (I posted the graphic from my manual in the original thread, linked to in my first post).

I was curious whether switching to Mobil-1 (with moly) would make a difference from pure Castrol Edge (titanium) but I would say it doesn't appear that it did.

I do try to mix in some high mileage oil, as my engine does have pretty high mileage (300k+ kms).

I haven't bought oil to use this winter. I will probably get to my OCI around October or November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back