Nation wide shortage of welders

Status
Not open for further replies.
95%+ of what is considered news is blatantly biased. One way or the other. It almost all garbage editorializing now anyhow. By both sides.

There is a big shortage in most trades. Parents don't encourage their kids into the trades and think it is disgraceful not to send their kids to college often to get a degree in an unmarketable field. They spent all their lives basically playing with their phones and video games.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
There is a big shortage in most trades. Parents don't encourage their kids into the trades and think it is disgraceful not to send their kids to college often to get a degree in an unmarketable field. They spent all their lives basically playing with their phones and video games.

If only we could return to the good old days.

sweep-and-master.png

Silly strawman argument...encouraging trades is not akin to child labour.

Encouraging kids and their parents to do a degree, and end up in debt for a job that doesn't exist , or be labelled a
Originally Posted By: DdDd
a screw up
is all part of the drive to the new debt bubble...education loans, and from universities that are great at preparing kids for dying careers...that will keep them paying back that debt for their existence.

Honestly, take general accounting, and medical general practice...the robots (AI) will have those jobs inside 10 years, and they'll be better at it, so much so for the latter that insurer's will demand it...who needs to pit lawyer against lawyer when AI who can access every single recorded case law can determine the precedents that apply, and only funnel the tricky ones to the humans.

With all the whining going on about bad wages and poor working conditions, maybe we do need unions.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
With all the whining going on about bad wages and poor working conditions, maybe we do need unions.
27.gif

A good union takes care of their members, a terrible union screws their members with lots of corruption.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
27.gif

Why? The market is working. If there is an actual shortage wages will go up and people will go into the field.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
When I went to HVAC School back in 2006 the class started out with 30 people, 10 people finished the course, half of the ones that made it could probably pass the drug test and half of those would quit the trade all together within one year because of working conditions like heat, attics etc. Pay is pretty good to start and gets better as you gain experience, some companies aren't even enforcing the drug test anymore and still can't find people.

I think there is a shortage of motivated people.

So you're one of a few that can actually perform a Manual J is that what you're saying?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
When I went to HVAC School back in 2006 the class started out with 30 people, 10 people finished the course, half of the ones that made it could probably pass the drug test and half of those would quit the trade all together within one year because of working conditions like heat, attics etc. Pay is pretty good to start and gets better as you gain experience, some companies aren't even enforcing the drug test anymore and still can't find people.

I think there is a shortage of motivated people.

So you're one of a few that can actually perform a Manual J is that what you're saying?
wink.gif

No, I do the grunt work.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
And with the risk of getting flamed, excessive drug testing is not helping either

True, we hire bus drivers and between DOT physical,drug test, and background check we are lucky to get one driver for every 5 or 6 applicants.

This is becoming another big problem. And it's one that I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I was never drug tested for a job until we moved out to Arizona in 1991. I've never used drugs so it was never an issue. But the fact is today, like it or not, or agree with it or not, most everyone tests for drugs as part of the employment process. You would have to be a complete idiot to think they won't. Or think you can use and still pass. At the last place I worked, (and retired from), we would easily lose 5 out of 10 applicants to failed drug tests.

Just how stupid are these people? Why do they even bother to apply? Do they honestly think they can be recreational drug users, and still pass drug tests? I keep in touch with the guys I worked with, and they're telling me now the company is resorting to random drug testing of current employees. (The companies insurance provider has supposedly demanded it). And they are losing guys left and right because of it.

When I worked there, if you were injured on the job that required a visit to the clinic or hospital, you had to immediately submit to a drug test. In the almost 9 years I worked there, I saw 4 guys fail and get fired from my shift alone. And we had 3 shifts working around the clock in 3 different buildings, 7 days a week.

How anyone can have any sympathy for people who put getting high over their ability to earn a living is beyond me.

I was in mgmt. when widespread drug testing started. Thought it was a joke at first because most candidates weren't on drugs. Then I found out once employed, a drug user is extremely difficult to fire. They can sue for civil rights abuse etc.

Originally Posted By: loneryder

I was in mgmt. when widespread drug testing started. Thought it was a joke at first because most candidates weren't on drugs. Then I found out once employed, a drug user is extremely difficult to fire. They can sue for civil rights abuse etc.

Yup, we had a guy at a local university get his job back after being fired for drug use on the job. Something about discrimination, because drug users are definitely the kind of people you want working at a university...

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: loneryder

Yup, we had a guy at a local university get his job back after being fired for drug use on the job. Something about discrimination, because drug users are definitely the kind of people you want working at a university...
A straight up meth/crack head would be an improvement of the faculty at the typical university.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
There's a shortage of welders, truck drivers, and some other trades because no one wants to pay! It's tough work, long hours and the shortage will continue until the pay comes up to where it needs to in order to make it worthwhile.

Or a bunch of people are brought in from the third world, happy to work for peanuts.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
There is a nationwide shortage of collision repair technicians, too. We're beyond the point where drug screening is feasible - anybody with a heartbeat is acceptable. It's not a pay issue, either; good techs make $100k and great techs can make a lot more.

The rates are only $45-$60/hr on collision repair for the shop. The pay scale makes no sense unless in an expensive part of country where $100k is an okay salary with higher collision repair rates.

Or else if you live where the guy serving your coffee at Starbucks is pulling in $25.00 an hour. Or the bartender at the local watering hole is raking in $80K a year!

I can see a good bartender at a high-end place making 80K.

Well part of the problem is the wages. It used to be you could work at a packing plant and make very good money however in todays world most of the packing plants to not pay very well at all. It seems in the trades it takes a while to get good enough to find a company that pays a good wage and pretty soon a person is too old and the job that used to be physically easy is very difficult once you get up there in years. You take an office job or light duty job and you are good until retirement age in most cases. One needs to be very cautious and weigh the pros and cons. I have worked both hard labor and office type jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back