Amazon Oil Coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use it if it was cheap enough, but Amazon has made the bottle look as generic as it can possible be. The bottle looks like it was bought on a government contract for black and white police cruisers. You have to be 3 times better than Mobil 1 at something on the bottle and designed by NASA engineers! Oil marketers also have to have cap on the bottle the size of a beer koozie so we can pour out 5 quarts in 3.2 seconds into a funnel at 5 quarts per minute flow rate. I might subscribe and save if they could use a big truck in a commercial driving thru a ring of fire, with 3 times the thermal breakdown protection of Mobil 1!

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I won't support Amazon.

I've been buying less and less from them. I have gotten some tool and parts deals on Ebay that blows Amazon prices out of the water. And they don't play games with shipping if you aren't a prime member. I'm all about getting the best prices from reputable websites and sellers.

Online sales is putting actual stores at risk.
A lot of workers are losing jobs because people are too lazy to get away from their computer and go to a real store.

A lot of workers are losing jobs because people are too lazy to get away from their computer and go to a real store.

Laziness has nothing to do with it.

Miserable customer service, poor inventory, and uncompetitive pricing keeps myself and I suspect many others out of most brick-and-mortar stores.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Laziness has nothing to do with it.

Miserable customer service, poor inventory, and uncompetitive pricing keeps myself and I suspect many others out of most brick-and-mortar stores.

Exactly

I don't mind spending a little bit more to support local stores.
And yes it is about laziness in most cases.
If someone has a disability or health issue,then that is understandable.

I don't mind supporting local business. But it's a 2 way street. Local business has to support me also. I understand overhead cost, markup, and margin. But there had better be a higher level of service, which is not available online. I recently had a parts guy tell me that he can order it, and have it in 2 days. Well, I could order it myself and have it in 2 days. Funny thing is that the store was actually going to order from Amazon, then charge me more.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
I don't mind spending a little bit more to support local stores.
And yes it is about laziness in most cases.
If someone has a disability or health issue,then that is understandable.

Aside from motor oil (I'm getting mostly 3 or 4 name brands) eBay has lots of used options - Like a while back I needed to put new SST cable on my boat lift and bought a used crimping tool ... something I'll hardly ever use ... but was important to have ... New ? Most likely to buy local or at the big city outlets that is a 45 minute drive - catch a change of pace meal with the wife etc ...
Amazon remains a thing of the past for me ...

Originally Posted by Dallas69

Avoiding a packed Wal-Mart on your day off is a good thing.

I shop a LOT less at Wal-Mart and a few clicks on Amazon and I'm done shopping.

No need to deal with the Wal-Mart craziness. For produce and food I shop at local supermarket.

My son works as a systems analyst in the electronic money sector - and says you are better off to plug that chip into a reader in town than use the same card on the internet ...
I have had 2 cards hacked but not sure how they got hacked ... (they had been used online and other places as well) ...
The only change I made is I don't enter a card online anymore ... has been two years now ...

Any thoughts on that ?

The recent flurry of news reports and YouTube videos about package theft have me wondering about the future of mass home delivery.
At some point, the online vendors are going to have to have the delivery services do a better job of documenting packages being placed, maybe take a timestamped video of the item being placed or do something like a GPS track of it, and then say the thefts after delivery are not their problem...they are not going to take these losses forever. Consumers are going to get ticked about buying things and not getting a refund when they are stolen, and the police can't spend their time following UPS and Fedex trucks around. Scumbags will always be with us and this is clearly pretty easy money for them.
I know some people have a setup to allow deliveries from Amazon (at least, maybe others) be placed in their house through electronic unlocking, but I would NEVER agree to such a thing and I'm sure others will be right there with me on that. Package thieves could also be more bold and break a window or whatever to get in if they feel pretty sure nobody is home.
Amazon also provides pickup sites for packages, but, if I have to drive out to such a place to get something, why not just go to the store for things that are available locally? I mean, unless there is a big price difference....

We have had a few online deliveries "disappear" and I have no idea if they were just not really delivered or stolen. We are pretty far off the road and I'd think coming all the way down our long driveway would be a little intimidating to most thieves...BUT, the caveat there is that no neighbor could POSSIBLY see a theft in progress once they made down to our house. Housing is fairly low density here and thieves would have to do a lot of driving to get multiple items...I'm sure more urban areas are more attractive with higher densities of housing and packages as well as porches and doors being a few feet from the sidewalk/road and the anonymity of crowds.

I'm sure there are good answers out there...maybe everybody who orders a lot online has an electronically activated lockbox that is bolted down? Or just buy more stuff at stores like we did before?

I think your son will agree most card information gets stolen when banks, off-line and on-line stores get hacked. Some cards get hijacked when card readers are installed in do-it-youself places like ATM's and gas stations. You take a chance no matter where you use it.

I rebuilt the entire suspension on my 4Runner buying genuine Toyota parts from Amazon. Had to resort to Ebay for rebuilt rear lower control arms that no one sells. Next will be the radiator and timing belt kit. I saved about 1/3 of the cost. I'm on a fixed income so money talks for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back